Sweden vs Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Apr 4, 2004
not exactly a france vs italian match (eg match of the best) but still....sweden 1-0 up at half time. havent been watching the match myself but jw what you guys think of it so far?

btw, in my 'why cant zidane hurry up and retire' thread i didnt mean literally i meant why does he have to help beat us...i believe he is one of the best players at the minute and DO NOT want him to retire.. :D

and im not anti-french:cool:
ljungberg the scorer i hear btw

Buy on AliExpress.com

venom

Oct 22, 2003
Finally a match with no defense:D, both teams going forward and some goal scoring opportunities for both sides.

Bulgaria's defense-line was up in the midfield and their offside-trap didn't work (and their midfield didn't press) and Zlatan got through and passed(!) to Ljungberg who was free to put the ball in empty net.

venom

Oct 22, 2003
So that bloke who was very retired during the qualifyers decides he's not retired anymore. Then scores couple of goals.

OP
Mikey-DelPiero
Apr 4, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    lol yeah. literally thousands of swedish fans sign a partition and it turn out larssons' 6 year old son eventually persuaded him to stay! larsson wants to go to barcelona now or somewhere hot he said

OP
    Mikey-DelPiero
    Apr 4, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    hed won a lot of stuff there and i guess just wanted a nu challenge. he scored like 40 goals last season, maybe 46ish

i realy undersetimated sweden. i fort they were a two man team (larsson, ljungberg) but they are really quite good. play well as a team

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Mikey-DelPiero ] ++
    i realy undersetimated sweden. i fort they were a two man team (larsson, ljungberg) but they are really quite good. play well as a team
    That's what they are always. Like in that first goal Zlatan passed the ball when he could have tried to score himself.

OP
    Mikey-DelPiero
    Apr 4, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    cool. i will watch more of them this euro. there downside is there defence.

ive just noticed, almost every bulgarian player has attempted a backheel? gettin a bit too obvious when they do it now

OP
    Mikey-DelPiero
    Apr 4, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12
    4-0. an unfair penalty imo. ibrahinovich took it, i reckon larsson shudda so he could gt his hat trick,he didnt even ask for it. now thats teamplay!
    forza larsson!

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Mikey-DelPiero ] ++
    4-0. an unfair penalty imo. ibrahinovich took it, i reckon larsson shudda so he could gt his hat trick,he didnt even ask for it. now thats teamplay!
    forza larsson!
    Well, Zlatan's in my fantasy team :cool:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Ibrahimovic!!!!! He rules!!!!
    Italia - Sweden should be a really interesting game

Hope Totti Vieri and Del Piero can wake up for that game!!

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    From the BBC:-

Sweden 5-0 Bulgaria

Henrik Larsson scored a stunning double to earn Sweden a resounding victory over Bulgaria in their Group C opener.
    The Swedes took the lead when Zlatan Ibrahimovic raced down the right and set up Freddie Ljungberg to tap home.

Larsson brilliantly headed in Erik Edman's cross then converted Andreas Svensson's right-wing centre.

Ljungberg was fouled in the box to earn a penalty that Ibrahimovic converted before sub Marcus Allback rifled in a terrific volley in stoppage time.

Sweden made a lively start and Ibrahimovic brilliantly controlled a raking through ball only to see his goalbound shot deflected away for a corner.

Bulgaria were making their first appearance in a major tournament since a 6-1 thumping at the hands of Spain in the 1998 World Cup, but after starting nervously they soon acclimatised to the ferocious pace of the game.

Sweden suffered a scare when Marian Hristov tumbled in the box, but English referee Mike Riley waved play on.

Soon after, Bulgaria had a real chance to go in front, Martin Petrov swinging in a lovely cross from the left that Jankovic volleyed narrowly wide.

KEY MOMENTS
    26 mins: Berbatov's header is tipped over by Isaksson
    32 mins: Ljungberg converts Ibrahimovic's cross
    57 mins: Larsson's stunning diving header doubles the lead
    58 mins: Larsson fires into the roof of the net
    78 mins: Ibrahimovic slots home from the penalty spot
    90 mins: Allback seals the win

As the game swung from end to end, Larsson directed Mikael Nilsson's right-wing cross over, before Berbatov's thumping header forced Isaksson to brilliantly tip over the bar.

Just after the half-hour mark, Sweden went ahead. Ibrahimovic raced away down the right after a mistake from Ivailo Petkov, and the Ajax striker surged into the box and fed Ljungberg, who tapped home from six yards.

Bulgaria almost replied immediately, but Stilian Petrov's sizzling 30-yard volley flashed wide of Isaksson's right-hand post.

The second half began in the same fashion with both sides creating chances. First Jankovic headed wide from close range when it looked easier to score.

Moments later an impetuous flick from the cunning Ibrahimovic sent Ljungberg through, but the Arsenal midfielder could only shoot straight at Zdravkov.

Bulgaria went within inches of levelling when Martin Petrov's right-foot curler flew just past Isaksson's left-hand post, but within two minutes the game was over.

Edman found room down the Sweden left and whipped over a glorious cross that Larsson - hurling himself horizontally at the ball - headed stunningly past Zdravkov. It is an early contender for goal of the tournament.

Just 71 seconds later the game was over, Andreas Svensson sending the ball across the face of goal for Larsson to neatly slot into the roof of the net.

Bulgaria looked shell-shocked and in truth they did not deserve such a heavy beating, though it almost got worse when Ibrahimovic danced through again only to be thwarted by Zdravkov.

It soon was four. Ljungberg's surging run was ended in the box by Vladimir Ivanov's foul and Ibrahimovic coolly slotted home the penalty.

Marcus Allback was sent on for Ibrahimovic with ten minutes to go and the Aston Villa striker sealed a magnificent display with a fine finish to make it five in injury time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweden: Isaksson, Edman, Jakobsson, Mellberg, Lucic, Ljungberg, Linderoth, Nilsson, Ibrahimovic, Svensson, Larsson. Subs: Hedman, Kihlstedt, Mjallby, Hansson, Ostlund, Kallstrom, Andersson, Jonson, Farnerud, Allback, Wilhelmsson, Wahlstedt.

Bulgaria: Zdravkov, Ivaylo Petkov, Pazhin, Kirilov, Ivanov, Martin Petrov, Hristov, Stilian Petrov, Peev, Yankovich, Berbatov. Subs: Manchev, Bojinov, Borimirov, Chilikov, Dimitrov, Ivankov, Kolev, Kotev, Lazarov, Milen Petkov, Stoyanov, Zagorchich.

Referee: Michael Riley (England).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL STATS BY UEFA
    Category Sweden Bulgaria
    Total shots 14 11
    Shots on target 9 3
    Possession 43% 57%
    Corners won 5 3
    Fouls committed 21 20
    Offsides 5 1
    Bookings 2 4
    Sent Off 0 0

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Great match, Sweden were as good as I thought and hoped they would be. Had probably expected a bit more from Bulgaria.

Italy-Sweden looks to be a hell of a match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)