Sweden vs Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++
Great match, Sweden were as good as I thought and hoped they would be. Had probably expected a bit more from Bulgaria.

Italy-Sweden looks to be a hell of a match.
I thought 5-0 was a little harsh on Bulgaria. They played some good football, but when Sweden stepped up the pace and turned on the power, The Bulgars were found a little lacking.

However, I think they'll (Bulgaria) give Italy a run for their money as the Italians maybe don't have the physical precence that the Swedes have and the Bulgars will be more productive going forward....only 4-0 then:D

Still Sweden & Italy to qualify though

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Friday friday friday!!

I want to seee what the azurri will do after this lame performance against sweden.

It will be a hell of a clsh... lets wish good luck to DP and Company.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
What a player Larsson is. Incredible.

Very enjoyable match this one, I thought both teams played well. Obviously Sweden were far more productive. But lots of nice moves and plays from both sides. I feel a little sorry for Bulgaria as they didn't deserve this, 2-0 would have been a more fair score. But all credit Sweden who played a near flawless match and Trap should send every Azzurri player to his hotel room with a tape of this entitled "Teamwork".

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Mmmm i think they must be seriously thinking about friday´s clash. It will be decisive and against tough adversity.

it will be Cool to see from what italy is made of.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Italy-Sweden has all the ingredients to be a great game. According to Trap the Azzurri have learned their lesson following today's draw with Denmark, and the Swedes seem very keen on attacking, so there could be plenty of goals.

If I was Trap I would play the exact same line-up except Gatto-Pirlo would replace Zano-Perro. Totti-DP-Bob need better service out of midfield.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Very enjoyable match this one, I thought both teams played well. Obviously Sweden were far more productive. But lots of nice moves and plays from both sides. I feel a little sorry for Bulgaria as they didn't deserve this, 2-0 would have been a more fair score. But all credit Sweden who played a near flawless match and Trap should send every Azzurri player to his hotel room with a tape of this entitled "Teamwork".

Teamwork - A story of Passion for the Game

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
From the BBC:-

Larsson lights up Lisbon

By Phil McNulty
Our man in Portugal

Sweden 5-0 Bulgaria
Henrik Larsson made 140,000 signatures and a personal request from the Swedish Prime Minister - but most of all a plea from young son Jordan - all worthwhile in the space of 60 seconds in Lisbon.

Larsson's brilliant quickfire double put Sweden out of sight of Bulgaria and was a personal thanks for the faith of a nation united in tempting a hero back to international football.

It also showed why Barcelona are the 30th club to have demonstrated a serious interest in signing Larsson on a free transfer by finally making him an offer on Monday.

Larsson, who decided to leave Celtic at the end of last season, was returning to Sweden colours after a two-year exile - broken only by one emergency appearance against Hungary in a qualifier.

And he was doing it backed by the weight of an entire country that gathered behind a sporting icon to achieve what Celtic found impossible - make Larsson change his mind.

So when he brilliantly headed his first and Sweden's second on 56 minutes, then followed it up with a trademark far-post finish almost instantly, Larsson had repaid his country's faith and Sweden's effort had borne fruit.

Swedish premier Goeran Persson was one of the signatories to a petition organised by a national newspaper and was joined by other politicians and sporting stars, who were determined to make Larsson come out of exile.

Uefa president Lennart Johansson even set impartiality aside to appeal to his fellow countryman to return.

And when Larsson finally succumbed and agreed to return after his son said he wanted to see his father playing for Sweden, the country celebrated.

But not as much as they did inside the Estadio Alvalade on a sweltering Monday evening.

Larsson eased himself back in during the first half, an intelligent run here and a swift link-up there.

But after the break he was devastating, with Sweden's attacking triumvirate of Larsson, Freddie Ljungberg and the maverick, but hugely-gifted, Zlatan Ibrahimovic illuminating Euro 2004.

Larsson also proved himself the perfect team player, handing over penalty-taking duties to Ibrahimovic, who made Ljungberg's opener.

He passed up his chance of his hat-trick in that moment but still found time to play a perfectly-lofted pass for Marcus Allback to score in injury time and crown a comprehensive and highly-entertaining win.

Larsson even retreated into a defensive midfield role at a dangerous Sweden free-kick in the dying minutes to ensure that Bulgaria did not have any opportunity to add respectability to the scoreline.

He shrugged off the heat to look supremely quick and sharp, lasting the pace with an ease that belied his 32 years.

Larsson was later modesty itself as he took all the accolades - putting team first and setting aside his own achievements - the sort of words they have heard hundreds of times before in Glasgow.

It was also an emphatic answer to those who said that while Larsson might be able to knock over Motherwell and Dunfermline in his sleep, his unique brand of goalscoring would not travel well outside the confines of the Scottish Premier League.

As celebrating Swedes poured out into the streets around the home of Sporting Lisbon they were joined by Celtic fans who had also come pay homage to the hero of Parkhead who made a tearful exit at the end of another championship season.

Sweden's wishes were answered in Lisbon on Monday - as King Henrik delivered a performance that suggested those who have made his side dark horses for Euro 2004 may have a point.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm pissed that I decided against staying up from 2-7 to watch this match. After the disappointment of Italy-Denmark, I decided to screw it :irritate: At least I got to watch the replay though :)

5-0 was a bit unfair, it could've easily been 2-1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)