Summer Transfers (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
An Italian Summer: The Big Three's Transfers
Monday August 08 2005

...And what of champions Juventus? They steamrollered their way to a 28th title in May with some vintage gritty performances that left pulses unchanged. Their summer shopping has been very telling indeed. Instead of buying flair, excitement and fun they have plumped for three men who like a foul: midfield spoiler Giuliano Giannichedda, the prickly defender Robert Kovac and of course ex-Goonie leader Paddy Vieira. Not very mouth-watering really, is it?

It may turn out to be a gamble to expect the forwards already at the club to spearhead a double assault on the scudetto and the Champions League, because David Trezeguet will get injured for part of the season, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic will get suspended somewhere alongthe way.

However, as always with this club, they don’t do their transfer dealing to anyone else’s timetable. So they could surprise us all and announce a big shiny signing on deadline day like last year when they got Fabio Cannavaro and Ibrahimovic. Regardless of any potential new recruits though, they still have enough quality and know-how to win title number 29 next May...but should get found out in Europe.

(Full article here)

Obviously, they're not quite done, but what do people think of the summer's transfers so far? Are we ready to retain the scudetto?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
The summer transfers were all useful. What we lacked last season was a central midfielder besides Emerson and squad depth. Vieira is the perfect player for a 4-4-2 formation. With signing Giannichiedda and Kovac for free we also have better subs, but those signings aren't high profile. I think that C Zanetti, Miguel or both will join before 31 august, to complete the lineup. The players sold were all subs, and Appiah, Kapo, Montero etc. were all unlikely to get a starting place in the near future.

I agree with the article's author that Inter has signed some useful players, but signing Veron AND Pizarro in the same year was just ridiculous.

Aug 1, 2003
I think we've done just enough and have spent rather carefully (read: Inter) ...

But it would be nice if we can pull off the last minute signing stunt again. I would love to add more creativity in the team; or getting another RB.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
I think we've done just enough and have spent rather carefully (read: Inter) ...

But it would be nice if we can pull off the last minute signing stunt again. I would love to add more creativity in the team; or getting another RB.
More creativity under Capello isn't going to happen. Emerson and Vieira will pull up a wall in central midfield. With Birindelli injured there is another reason to buy a new right back, since Zebina is by far our worst starter.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
i dont actualy see it that veron is a nnew player bcoz they actualy signed him this year. hi is not new to the team

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I think when you consider Capello's plans we've done well on the market. It has been made clear that Don Fabio will operate with two defensive-minded midfielders in the starting lineup so Vieira is a top notch signing. The return of Chiellini and the arrivals of Giannichedda and Kovac will add depth to the team. I'm sure that Mutu will have his say in this season's proceedings as well.

Dec 20, 2004
Oh my God, did an actual author write this article. Its so poorly done, my english is bad, but im confident that I can write a better article than this. This is just childish. Im sure a 4 year old wrote this.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan är Kung ] ++
    Oh my God, did an actual author write this article. Its so poorly done, my english is bad, but im confident that I can write a better article than this. This is just childish. Im sure a 4 year old wrote this.
    It's a level above most tabloid articles, but that's not saying a lot. I used it because it sums up everything so I don't have to. :)

sutnevuJ

Aug 6, 2005
    Not perfect but ok.

I personally wouldnt of gone for viera. i hope he proves me wrong.
    Letting appiah go was a big mistake.
    Mutu was probably the best signing.
    and we still need good back up defenders especially in the CB position.

Bianco

Aug 7, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by DelpieroForLife ] ++

Please ya r not pointing to Inter :groan:
    one team that scares me a lot for this season is Fiorentina. Hard to say but I have to admit that Prandelli is a magician. He is releasing some of the key players from last season, and yet still being confident. I am not saying they will be in the top 5 this season, but Viola may cause a lot of upsets to bigger team imo. Further he has Bojinov, somehow Prancelli has a knack on turning strikers like him into another Adriano or Gila.

btw new here, so cheers all

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Good post Bianco, and I agree that Fiorentina could be a team to watch this season. However, it's difficult to make things happen right away at a new club.

Welcome to the Forums. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)