Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (147 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Jay, there has to be a balance, especially when we don't have the resources of the oil clubs, RM, or Bayern.

But yet, look at Bayern as an example.

Sule
Kimmich
Gnabry
Goretzka
Coman
Davies

Over half of the starting XI was 25 or younger, and all of them have been at the club for at least a couple of seasons. Smart purchases, and acquire young talent.
Would be nice to be able to pick up so many talents for such low prices (Coman aside - we got him for a nominal fee) but I don't see how it works in Italy. Bayern have an absolute stranglehold on their market, and never seem to have to pay more than the basic market cost for a player, often even less. I don't know how or why that works. Why did Gnabry have an €8m release clause in his contract? Süle €20m? Players running down contracts to join Bayern. You get quoted €40m for Boga trying to sign from Serie A. Several presidents wouldn't even sell us a virus, to quote SAF.

You have to give it to them, their model is perfect and now and again comes together perfectly - they are under the same pressure to win the CL that we are, after all. A domestic double is nice but not exactly groundbreaking.

There are also two other problems: - lack of comparable Italian talents, notice how many of those are Germans. And our drab youth development and talent scouting. But I'm still absolutely convinced that the conditions for growing young players are better in Germany than Italy, from the youth systems and B teams up to the way football is played in the Bundesliga.

Anyway, I feel a sense of deja-vu here. We always compare ourselves to the previous CL winners or players they have, rather than improving the team our way. Ronaldo smashes us year after year so we sign him. De Ligt plays a blinder in a great young Ajax team, we sign him. Are we really going to sign Aouar now? We're joking, right? At least they are good players. We have no vision or strategy.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Would be nice to be able to pick up so many talents for such low prices (Coman aside - we got him for a nominal fee) but I don't see how it works in Italy. Bayern have an absolute stranglehold on their market, and never seem to have to pay more than the basic market cost for a player, often even less. I don't know how or why that works. Why did Gnabry have an €8m release clause in his contract? Süle €20m? Players running down contracts to join Bayern. You get quoted €40m for Boga trying to sign from Serie A. Several presidents wouldn't even sell us a virus, to quote SAF.

You have to give it to them, their model is perfect and now and again comes together perfectly - they are under the same pressure to win the CL that we are, after all. A domestic double is nice but not exactly groundbreaking.

There are also two other problems: - lack of comparable Italian talents, notice how many of those are Germans. And our drab youth development and talent scouting. But I'm still absolutely convinced that the conditions for growing young players are better in Germany than Italy, from the youth systems and B teams up to the way football is played in the Bundesliga.
Your 2nd point in the last paragraph directly leads to the 1st point. Did Italian kids suddenly stop leaning how to play football? Of course not. It's the lack of that attention to detail. I swear, sometimes these Serie A clubs still think it 's the 90's

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

Anyway, I feel a sense of deja-vu here. We always compare ourselves to the previous CL winners or players they have, rather than improving the team our way. Ronaldo smashes us year after year so we sign him. De Ligt plays a blinder in a great young Ajax team, we sign him. Are we really going to sign Aouar now? We're joking, right? At least they are good players. We have no vision or strategy.

You are 100% right in everything you said. Main thing is if Zaniolo was German, he would already be in Bayern shirt, while we are here dreaming, hoping he will be eventually, some day. They have more of a direct and active plan, compared to our reactive one, and in a league where you can naturally develop and trust youth, with little to no toxic relations with your rivals, plus a big economy so you can flex your financial muscles the rare times your rivals absolutely refuse to sell to you.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
giphy.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Shiiiiit, he's gonna be their Pirlo signing.

What that picture tells me is something that I will have a hard time accepting.

Max is going to Inter, and wants to bring Khedira with him.

Now, the Khedira part, I'm thrilled with. It's just that Max part of the equation :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 147)