Stephan Lichtsteiner (9 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Funny that you mention that, it's very true that a lot of Somali Youths in Canada barely speak Somali, if they do speak it at all, however, they are very conscious of where they come from and some of the struggles that they're homeland faces.

As for your comment Seven, I highly doubt that Somali's in the West would become anything like those "Italians" Americans, even if they were to loose their language, the connection back home is too strong. The financials support sent to Somalia from almost every Somali family is a substantial amount, they really do care about the situation back home. Unlike the Italiens who gloat about their ancestry as if it had anything glorious about, while knowing very little of it's past, present or future.
I think a lot of that has to do with the difficult situation of Somalia. If it was as stable as Italy, I think the connection would loosen.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
That and Italians been in the US over a century.
Yep, the immigration of African or Turkish people into Europe has been a rather recent phenomenom, most people are first/second generations. By the time the grand-grand-grandchildren of the original immigrants come around, things are going to look very differently for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)