Stephan Lichtsteiner (94 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
He won't have started because he ran himself into the ground agaisnt Chelsea.

He didn't come on because good crossing was required, and Padoin is a better crosser than Lichtsteiner.

One could certainly make a case for Lichtsteiner coming on in a bid to add some drive and determination to try and lift the team, but tactically it was perfectly reasonable to not bring him on.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006

He didn't come on because good crossing was required, and Padoin is a better crosser than Lichtsteiner.

One could certainly make a case for Lichtsteiner coming on in a bid to add some drive and determination to try and lift the team, but tactically it was perfectly reasonable to not bring him on.
That's why Pepe should've been the one to be subbed in.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

:undecide:

We needed some zeal in this lineup yesterday because our usuals weren't supplying it. (Chiellini, Vidal, even Asamoah). Licht would have been a spark for the last 30 mins or so and regardless of crossing he gets behind the defenders much better than Isla & Padoin.

We needed crossing you say but we didn't have anyone strong in the air in the box (Bendtner/Matri)...Gio would never win a header against the giant back line and Mirko is just Mirko, never really been a header.

We needed someone to slice and dice their way into the box pulling defenders and opening up space for our more technical players. As many failed crosses as we had, we just didn't have anyone strong enough in the air for it. It was a wasted sub. So I disagree with your assessment, Red. :D

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Not entirely.

I agree about the need for a presence in the box and I agree about the need for some movement and energy.

I still think I'd have brought on Pepe ahead of Lichtsteiner, though.

So bad was the first half, I'd even had been tempted to chuck on Pepe and Lichtsteiner and go 4-3-3.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Not entirely.

I agree about the need for a presence in the box and I agree about the need for some movement and energy.

I still think I'd have brought on Pepe ahead of Lichtsteiner, though.

So bad was the first half, I'd even had been tempted to chuck on Pepe and Lichtsteiner and go 4-3-3.
IMO this is what we need the most.

Licht at RB and revert back to the 433. Isla/Pepe can battle it out for that top right spot.

Asamoah and all the fans here will either have to accept the bench or fight it out between vidal/marchisio which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I think people are afraid to NOT use the 352 for fear of wasting Asamoah but in all honesty, I'd prefer a better working formation. Am I the only one that thinks that? Perhaps.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
IMO this is what we need the most.

Licht at RB and revert back to the 433. Isla/Pepe can battle it out for that top right spot.

Asamoah and all the fans here will either have to accept the bench or fight it out between vidal/marchisio which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I think people are afraid to NOT use the 352 for fear of wasting Asamoah but in all honesty, I'd prefer a better working formation. Am I the only one that thinks that? Perhaps.
Not sure I'd go back to 4-3-3 fully, but I'd like to see Juve get to a point where they are happy to pick between the two systems depending on the circumstances of each game.

I was half expecting the 4-3-3 to come out at some stage yesterday, because that was what turned the 'gol di Muntari' game last season, after Juve had played a rubbish first half.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Not sure I'd go back to 4-3-3 fully, but I'd like to see Juve get to a point where they are happy to pick between the two systems depending on the circumstances of each game.

I was half expecting the 4-3-3 to come out at some stage yesterday, because that was what turned the 'gol di Muntari' game last season, after Juve had played a rubbish first half.
I think we would see the best of Giovinco and Mirko in the left of a 433. They just aren't putting up the kinds of numbers they did last season and peformances as well. This offense desperately needs a leader up front and we don't have it. Our midfield/defenders have had to come to the rescue scoring the goals. Pirlo has no one to pick out and only has Asa/Isla to spread it wide...and only one can cross on average with any kind of consistency, the other not.

We are wasting our players talents in a formation that doesn't suit them as much as the 433 IMO. Marchisio was light years ahead in supporting the offense last year. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't think the team clicks as well and as often with the 352.

Last year we had an identity with the 433 (and our ability to switch systems midgame). For whatever reason Conte hasn't been as flexible. :confused:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I think we would see the best of Giovinco and Mirko in the left of a 433. They just aren't putting up the kinds of numbers they did last season and peformances as well. This offense desperately needs a leader up front and we don't have it. Our midfield/defenders have had to come to the rescue scoring the goals. Pirlo has no one to pick out and only has Asa/Isla to spread it wide...and only one can cross on average with any kind of consistency, the other not.

We are wasting our players talents in a formation that doesn't suit them as much as the 433 IMO. Marchisio was light years ahead in supporting the offense last year. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't think the team clicks as well and as often with the 352.

Last year we had an identity with the 433 (and our ability to switch systems midgame). For whatever reason Conte hasn't been as flexible. :confused:
I prefer Vucinic when he plays from the wing. Not convinced 4-3-3 would help Giovinco much. He just isn't suited to playing against packed, deep defences.

Marchisio did better in terms of goalscoring last season because Juve were playing a faster, more open game that stretched the opposition, so there were gaps for him to step forward into. With Juve forcing teams back and often not moving the ball fast enough to open up spaces, it's much harder for the midfield runners to find the gaps to dart into.

I'm still not convinced the 3-5-2 is really a problem, but I would like to see more flexibility.

I think Juve are just experiencing a natural drop in intensity. You're never going to entirely reproduce the hunger the team had last season when almost none of them had won anything and they were all desperate to prove themselves. Add in Conte's suspension and having to cope with the CL and it was always going to be a tough few months.

Frankly, if Juve can get out of the CL group and are top of the league when Conte returns, I think that would have to be considered a fantastic effort by the players and staff, all things considered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)