Stephan Lichtsteiner (80 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think that not a single danger came from the side that he defends and it's 5 matches already. He defends brilliantly, runs like mad and his 1-2 passes are excellent. Too bad his crossing is as it always was, shitty. But in our formation, with wingers and all, crossing shouldn't even be his job and it's not a priority.
Thing is though, no one can cross that needs to know how to cross. Pirlo can, obviously, but that's not his job.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Camurria

Oct 10, 2011
This man oozes of class except his cross, unfortunately. He deserves the 10 m.
As posted earlier I'm not doubting his skill at defending and he is class, as the facts speak for themselves as he has been and currently is one of Serie A's best fullbacks. But when speaking of his value, there were players like Cassani who went for a much lower value and yet would of been great as well, his performances with Fiorentina have been praised very much, he was even Man of the Match last game with them. Guys like Isla as well, just being 23 years old, for the same value, I would of gone for Isla, but that's my own opinion. Him and Vidal on the same line up with Juve, would be amazing.

I think that not a single danger came from the side that he defends and it's 5 matches already. He defends brilliantly, runs like mad and his 1-2 passes are excellent. Too bad his crossing is as it always was, shitty. But in our formation, with wingers and all, crossing shouldn't even be his job and it's not a priority.
Agreed, his defensive abilities and work rate have been truly great, however I would have to disagree with your last statement, as it is also the fullbacks who have to cross the ball in Conte's system. Yes the wingers are placed more up and it's their duties to support the Prima and Seconda Punta's, however, the fullbacks have to also support their wingers, both defensively and offensively including crossing a ball. But to be fair, Chiellini as a left back, he too struggles at crossing the ball at times.

Camurria

Oct 10, 2011
Thing is though, no one can cross that needs to know how to cross. Pirlo can, obviously, but that's not his job.
It's not, as Pirlo is a Regista(A deep lying Playmaker) who sits infront of the defense creating plays from the back, which is basically the system Conte uses, all of his plays start from the back in which is the key of his style that he expects in which we need to gain ball possesion. His vision is fundamental and without it, the system would go anywhere.

But this relating to Lichstiener is irrelavent, but Lichstiener other duty as well is to supply Pirlo the ball or to the winger, as mentioned before being that the plays start all from the back, to Pirlo and so on.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's not, as Pirlo is a Regista(A deep lying Playmaker) who sits infront of the defense creating plays from the back, which is basically the system Conte uses, all of his plays start from the back in which is the key of his style that he expects in which we need to gain ball possesion. His vision is fundamental and without it, the system would go anywhere.

But this relating to Lichstiener is irrelavent, but Lichstiener other duty as well is to supply Pirlo the ball or to the winger, as mentioned before being that the plays start all from the back, to Pirlo and so on.
Like I said, Pirlo can obviously cross but it isn't his main job. The system we use relies on strong full backs to support our wingers and for a 442 to work well the wingers need to be on top form because the system relies so heavily on them.

So far, we have done great maintaining possession and building up our play only to FAIL on the final ball, which typically is a cross from one of our FBs or Wingers. Our crossing is just not good enough. We have strikers that can get their head to the ball, we just need to find them in the crosses. How does this relate to Licht? He is one of the players that can't cross. It isn't hard to put the ball into the box but we seem to make a mess out of it. Giacch has done well, his crossing is more consistent so far and hopefully Krasic can start stepping his game up so we don't have to bet on Licht having to make that final cross.

And welcome:)

Camurria

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the welcome and agreed with the first paragraph, however him being able to cross, that would require him to be a winger in which is not meant for him. In which you basically said that, the fullbacks are the most important factor for a 4-2-4 because without them, everything would fall a part. However, due to our system requireing ball possesion, all that comes from Pirlo's position in which is the important factor of our philosphy of play. Now as for Lich, him being a fullback he is one of our most important players with duties, his defensive duties, work rate and going forward has been fine, even supporting Krasic at times, but his other duty requires him to cross the ball well, just like any fullback is requeried. Take for instance, Abate from Milan, works hard, defends great, but him crossing a ball is just horrible in which is his fail. Now of course Lich can improve, and hopefully he does that fast. Speaking of wingers, that can also be said about Pepe, who I also see some what failing crosses, but his performances have past my expectations, same goes for Giach, but I hope Giovinco comes back nonetheless and/or Elia adapts to Italian football and can play over his place.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Thanks for the welcome and agreed with the first paragraph, however him being able to cross, that would require him to be a winger in which is not meant for him. In which you basically said that, the fullbacks are the most important factor for a 4-2-4 because without them, everything would fall a part. However, due to our system requireing ball possesion, all that comes from Pirlo's position in which is the important factor of our philosphy of play. Now as for Lich, him being a fullback he is one of our most important players with duties, his defensive duties, work rate and going forward has been fine, even supporting Krasic at times, but his other duty requires him to cross the ball well, just like any fullback is requeried. Take for instance, Abate from Milan, works hard, defends great, but him crossing a ball is just horrible in which is his fail. Now of course Lich can improve, and hopefully he does that fast. Speaking of wingers, that can also be said about Pepe, who I also see some what failing crosses, but his performances have past my expectations, same goes for Giach, but I hope Giovinco comes back nonetheless and/or Elia adapts to Italian football and can play over his place.
Disagree with the bold. There are many top class full backs that can put in a good cross. Otherwise what is the point of them having any kind of overlap with the wingers if they can't cross. All their work would be in vain then. Full backs need to be able to cross unless tactically the coach wants them to only sit back.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
:tup:

Couldn't have said it any better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 79)