Stephan Lichtsteiner (573 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
In games like this, Licht doesn't fit in a 3-5-2. We could have really used some help offensively on the flanks.
The system didn't work, so both wingbacks looked poor.

They didn't seem to know when to drop to make it a back five or when to go inside to help the midfield and neither of them really got in good wide positions high up the pitch.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I really dislike 3-5-2 against 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 type systems.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Chelsea was a bit different because Juve are more athletic than them and Chelsea's central midfield is weak, so Juve could control that are of the pitch and limit the danger Chelsea posed going forward.

Playing against an opponent who can match Juve physically, the tactics become far more of an issue.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Chelsea was a bit different because Juve are more athletic than them and Chelsea central midfield are weak, so Juve could control that are of the pitch and limit the danger Chelsea posed going forward.

Playing against an opponent who can match Juve physically, the tactics become far more of an issue.
Fair point. I think we need to be more flexible, employ the 4-3-3 or even a 4-2-3-1 at times. The wing backs as well, I don't think we can afford to play two defensive wingers in games like these.

Vintorez

Sep 30, 2012
Licht is good defender, but he's not a lateral.
Frankly, we need some good wing players, for instance, Nani.
Heard that we may buy him for 12-15 million euros... what do you think about it?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Fair point. I think we need to be more flexible, employ the 4-3-3 or even a 4-2-3-1 at times. The wing backs as well, I don't think we can afford to play two defensive wingers in games like these.
Thought Juve, with the players they had on the pitch last night, may have done better had they shaped up something like:

Buffon

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Bonucci-Chiellini

Pirlo

-----Vidal-Marchisio-Asamoah

Vucinic

Matri​

It'd be a bit lop-sided, with Asamoah playing wider than Vidal, since Lichtsteiner would go forward more than Chiellini.

That would allow Juve more presence in the central areas where they were being overrun and it would just being clearer what each person's role was, where in the 3-5-2 they looked lost due to the lack of direct opponents to mark.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It's all a learning process.

They've found something that works pretty consistently in Serie A, so I can see why they want to give it a chance in the CL.

I've already stated on various occasions why I don't think the 3-5-2 is well suited to European football, though.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
We just need to be smarter, I just think we may have blown our chance at qualifying though. Maybe I am just being pessimistic. We need Pepe back to give us some more flexibility.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I just think we may have blown our chance at qualifying though. Maybe I am just being pessimistic.
Wait and see how things shape up after the next two games.

If Juve win both games they are still going to be in a position where four points from Chelsea at home and Shakhtar away would probably see them through.

We need Pepe back to give us some more flexibility.
It would certainly help.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
We just need to be smarter, I just think we may have blown our chance at qualifying though. Maybe I am just being pessimistic. We need Pepe back to give us some more flexibility.
Not at all.

With that yesterday`s draw, there is now a lot of room for fock ups, so yeah....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 572)