Star Wars (1 Viewer)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Might reconsider who is bitter here. I am very happy about a very good movie which exceeded my expectations. Unlike you, most people around the world are on my side.
Dude, I'm happy you loved it. As I've said a few times, I liked it too. I just thought it had flaws. My point regarding reviews is that just because "most people around the world" like it, you aren't "wrong" if you dislike it. As long as you're able to argue for your opinion. Movies are subjective, after all.

I also don't see any point in discussing "good points" because these points are actually one point aka "OH LEL THEY MADE ANOTHER A NEW HOPE, LOL SUCH A REHASH xDDDDD". People who want to hate this movie will obviously find things to hate about.
Why do you think people "want to hate this movie". Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but at least a handful of members in here seem unbiased. But why do you think I wanted to hate it? I preordered tickets 1-2 months early.

Also Ocelot was the only one writting anything more than "lol bad movie", "lol justin bieber", "lol nostalgy". And still his whole point could be shortened to "lol same as ANH". His questions about the story are something there's no point discussing since we still miss 2/3 parts of the plot, while Episode VII only glanced over the things that happened between ROTJ and TFA.
That's a bit simplistic. There have been plenty of points besides that. Even though I only wrote like five sentences about the movie, I mentioned a disappointing lightsaber duel and a rushed ending.

Oh and there's your great point about marketing stunt. If the movie was rated shit you would be the first to point it out. But since the movie is actually critically acclaimed it's all
a) fanboy critics
b) nostalgy
c) marketing stunts
d) lel who cares about reviews, it won't change anyones opinion
Why would I be the first one to point it out? Why do you think I want to hate Star Wars?

It's obvious why I will point out good reviews and awards nominations. They back up my point. You might consider that when most people tell you that something is good it might actually mean that it is quite good and your opinion might be in minority for a reason.
I don't get why you make this a right vs wrong thing. As I wrote, just because the majority likes the movie, doesn't mean you're wrong for disliking it.

Unless you are a hipster of course, which will make you say that everyone is wrong or a marketing stunt. And please don't mix popularity with reviews. Twilight was popular but it was shit and it was rated as shit. That's the difference.

All in all I won't force anyone to love or even like this movie. But stop coming here with your smartass attitude like you are the enlightened chosen ones who have seen through the evil mask of a shitty movie unlike the stupid rest of the world who obviously lack your great intellect.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not claiming my opinion is worth more than anyone else's. It just annoyed me that you think we're all " 'mature' haters" for dislking the movie. Hell, most of us didn't even dislike it in the first place. Just pointed out some flaws.

Buy on AliExpress.com

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Dude, I'm happy you loved it. As I've said a few times, I liked it too. I just thought it had flaws. My point regarding reviews is that just because "most people around the world" like it, you aren't "wrong" if you dislike it. As long as you're able to argue for your opinion. Movies are subjective, after all.

Why do you think people "want to hate this movie". Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but at least a handful of members in here seem unbiased. But why do you think I wanted to hate it? I preordered tickets 1-2 months early.

That's a bit simplistic. There have been plenty of points besides that. Even though I only wrote like five sentences about the movie, I mentioned a disappointing lightsaber duel and a rushed ending.

Why would I be the first one to point it out? Why do you think I want to hate Star Wars?

I don't get why you make this a right vs wrong thing. As I wrote, just because the majority likes the movie, doesn't mean you're wrong for disliking it.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not claiming my opinion is worth more than anyone else. It just annoyed me that you think we're all " 'mature' haters" for dislking the movie. Hell, most of us didn't even dislike it in the first place. Just pointed out some flaws.
Let me tell you a story about this thread.

I posted how many records the movie broke and how I loved the movie. Never discussed anything or tried to force my opinion but then:

1. Salvo quotes me - Yeah but a lot of people like Justin Bieber too.
2. Daidevil reps me with - "lol Twilight was also popular"
3. Like 5 people start to quote each other, patting themselves about "lol how can this movie be reviewed positively", and calling me a fanboy (IgorTudor). General assumption is "this movie was bad to mediocre, how can people like this. Full nostalgy bro.". Then my post about "mature haters" happens, because that's exactly what was going on. People getting on their high horses. You will notice that nobody was pointing flaws in these posts.

It's not like people started to bash the movie and then I joined defending it. It was the other way around, people just had to tell me how wrong me, and all the reviewers are.

Then you joined to provoke me farther calling me "whiny", "bitter" and "fanboy" while posing as this super objective bystander who means no harm.

I hate Harry Potter franchise but I realise it is popular for a reason and I don't bash the movies or the books. They are rated highly by people all around the world and of all generations so I figure there's a reason. I won't be joining Harry Potter threads telling people how wrong they are to like it and how right I am to not like it.

Also you could write a book about people loving to hate Star Wars. It is the biggest cinematic hate generator in the history of cinema. It's a cool thing to hate SW.

Now Voller I would appreciate if you stopped responding. Pointless arguing exhausts me to no end.

If you want to actually discuss the flaws or story of the movie, I will gladly do it.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
You also called 2/3 of the movie a trainwreck which I would reserve for Uwe Boll movies. And yeah Voller didn't call it shit. He just decided to be the white knight of the critics.

Btw, here's your question about R2D2 deus ex machina explained by Abrams.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/2...-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

Pretty cool imo.
Yeah, the part of the movie after the deathstar 3.0 was introduced I'd actually call shitty (bar the last scene and Han's death). Up to Maz' cantina it was pretty great, in between mediocre imo.

Most importantly however I can imagine that after playing it this very very safe in this movie, it could mean good things for the second one. They'll hopefully be able to bring more new stuff in, but with already established, well-liked characters so that the audience doesn't feel alienated.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Let me tell you a story about this thread.

I posted how many records the movie broke and how I loved the movie. Never discussed anything or tried to force my opinion but then:

1. Salvo quotes me - Yeah but a lot of people like Justin Bieber too.
2. Daidevil reps me with - "lol Twilight was also popular"
3. Like 5 people start to quote each other, patting themselves about "lol how can this movie be reviewed positively", and calling me a fanboy (IgorTudor). General assumption is "this movie was bad to mediocre, how can people like this. Full nostalgy bro.". Then my post about "mature haters" happens, because that's exactly what was going on. People getting on their high horses. You will notice that nobody was pointing flaws in these posts.

It's not like people started to bash the movie and then I joined defending it. It was the other way around, people just had to tell me how wrong me, and all the reviewers are.

Then you joined to provoke me farther calling me "whiny", "bitter" and "fanboy" while posing as this super objective bystander who means no harm.

I hate Harry Potter franchise but I realise it is popular for a reason and I don't bash the movies or the books. They are rated highly by people all around the world and of all generations so I figure there's a reason. I won't be joining Harry Potter threads telling people how wrong they are to like it and how right I am to not like it.

Also you could write a book about people loving to hate Star Wars. It is the biggest cinematic hate generator in the history of cinema. It's a cool thing to hate SW.

Now Voller I would appreciate if you stopped responding. Pointless arguing exhausts me to no end.

If you want to actually discuss the flaws or story of the movie, I will gladly do it.
I really wanted to love the movie, and I'm definitely going to see the next one. But seriously, don't go full aquilani on us because we did not get blown away by a well made and rehashed second part of the movie.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
I really wanted to love the movie, and I'm definitely going to see the next one. But seriously, don't go full aquilani on us because we did not get blown away by a well made and rehashed second part of the movie.
I will go full Melo on you if you won't go and suck JJ Abrams cock right now.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Great movie from beginning to end. I watched it last night in IMAX which was amazing giving such a work warrant justice.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Oh, stop it, you whiny cat. It's not like people are trolling. The comparison to Bieber was just to show that popularity -- big shocker -- isn't a quality in itself.
this.

and btw. @radekas

i dont hate the movie, i dont even say its bad - but it certainly can NOT live up to the hype.

about the good ratings - the hobbit getting 7.5 to 7.9 on iMDB, yet
we (lgor and i) still think it's mediocre. too many biased user ratings, and i somehow doubt
it is different with critics who get paid for telling us their opinion. i bet a lot of them have that nostalgic feeling about star wars which leads to better ratings - but it shouldnt.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
this.

and btw. @radekas

i dont hate the movie, i dont even say its bad - but it certainly can NOT live up to the hype.

about the good ratings - the hobbit getting 7.5 to 7.9 on iMDB, yet
we (me and lgor) still think it's mediocre. too many biased user ratings, and i somehow doubt
it is different with critics who get paid for telling us their opinion. i bet a lot of them have that nostalgic feeling about star wars which leads to better ratings - but it shouldnt.
Der Esel nennt sich immer zuerst :klin:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
this.

and btw. @radekas

It never could have anyways.

In favor of the movie, it's extremely difficult to make a well-received Star Wars movie anyways, so I can't blame it too much for playing it safe, even uf ut's to the extreme extent that it did.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
You also called 2/3 of the movie a trainwreck which I would reserve for Uwe Boll movies. And yeah Voller didn't call it shit. He just decided to be the white knight of the critics.

Btw, here's your question about R2D2 deus ex machina explained by Abrams.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/2...-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

Pretty cool imo.
“The whole movie is a series of character introductions"

There we go. Wait till the next one before judging so harshly, guys.

OP
ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #435
    it's overall a really good movie. on it's own probably 9/10 but more like 8/10 since the other star wars movies exist and inconsistencies regarding that. main flaws are: repeated ideas (death star), rey (too powerful) and pacing changed dramatically from the first part to the second.

I don't see how you can give it less than 8/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)