Star Wars (4 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Ep 4-6 are beautiful "classic" space adventure movies which rely on simple and clear things: You get a protagonist, he is in trouble, he got friends, the enemy is overwhelming, he gets at his lowest and succeeds by believing in himself and his friends. There is also some kind of magic power and an old master is teaching our protagonist how to use it.Old fashioned and straight forward, never claiming to be deep or intellectual or whatever nowadays wannabe Hollywood fools like Nolan claim to be.
I fully agree with you here, but that's also exactly why I simply don't get the massive fandom these movies have. They are good, solid movies, but nothing really stands out that much in any way, or is revolutionary. I also have to agree with Zach on them not having aged that well in my opinion, though I try not to hold that against the movies just considering the immense technical improvements the world of cinema has seen since then and the standard we are thus used to today. Admittedly, other, even older Sci-Fi movies such as 2001 or Solaris held up much much better, but it's kinda unfair to compare everything to the best of the best as well.

Concerning the prequels, I actually really liked Revenge of the Sith, wheras the other two felt rather average to me.

Buy on AliExpress.com

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I fully agree with you here, but that's also exactly why I simply don't get the massive fandom these movies have. They are good, solid movies, but nothing really stands out that much in any way, or is revolutionary. I also have to agree with Zach on them not having aged that well in my opinion, though I try not to hold that against the movies just considering the immense technical improvements the world of cinema has seen since then and the standard we are thus used to today. Admittedly, other, even older Sci-Fi movies such as 2001 or Solaris held up much much better, but it's kinda unfair to compare everything to the best of the best as well.

Concerning the prequels, I actually really liked Revenge of the Sith, wheras the other two felt rather average to me.
I don't understand the insane hype either. Other movies deserved it more imo. (or TV-shows like Firefly :D)

I guess the success behind Star Wars was its wide appeal. There is something for everybody: kids enjoy 3PO and R2D2, guys root for Luke or Darth Vader or ObiWan or Yoda, girls get wet over Harrison. There is action, humour, funny sidekicks and a nice soundtrack. Ep4-6 are neither outstanding nor bad in any aspect.

OP
ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #144
    When watching everything trough for the first time in 2014, episodes 4-6 seemb amateurish and horribly dated, where as episodes 1-3 are surprisingly strong.

Not really hyped yet
    what did I just read :lol::lol::lol:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    I found Alien and Aliens exceptionall well dated to look at in 2015.

Star wars 4-6 were clumsy and amateurish. Sometimes on the borderline of watching a bad 60-70ties detective series.

Certainly, visuals improved from 1-3, but the way the enviroment and guards for example behave, is much more realistic.

And well, i like the Anakim story. More then anything else in that franchise
    Trying to create an epic space opera type film, action filled, with massive battles, and acrobatics, and the like in that era was never going to work in terms of aging well with advancements in technology.

Other movies like Alien, were much slower paced, less of the epic variety, and not so dependent on special effects.

Episodes 4-6 are good for what they are, and certainly of the era. Episodes 1-3, while certainly looking better today, are appallingly bad films in terms of plot, narrative, storyline, acting.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the insane hype for this new film is a little misplaced when looking at the 6 previous films in the franchise.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Misplaced. Yes. Considering the quality of the first 6 films in the franchise, I see absolutely no reason for this film to be so insanely hyped. But that's the world we live in.

Popularity has next to nothing to do with quality.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    I think you mean subjective. :p

But, I don't think any sane person would argue for Star Wars > 2001: A Space Odyssey

:D
    :lol: No idea how I did that, I'm a moron.

But anyway, I've never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. I grew up with Star Wars though and have always loved it. So of course I'm going to be excited for it, regardless of the general consensus on where it ranks among other movies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    :lol: No idea how I did that, I'm a moron.

But anyway, I've never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. I grew up with Star Wars though and have always loved it. So of course I'm going to be excited for it, regardless of the general consensus on where it ranks among other movies.
    I don't know why Zoso got offended. I just said the hype is misplaced as the prequel trilogy was quite poor... and the original trilogy is a bit dated now, which is to be expected considering it is a Special Effects dependent epic space opera, far ahead of its time in terms of ambition and scope. That doesn't change that they really were groundbreaking at the time of release.

I was born in '84 and grew up absolutely loving Star Wars. I'm psyched to see the new one, even if I'm not super hyped on thinking it's going to be amazing. I'm waiting to see whether they've given a little more focus to aspects of the film other than action and special effects, unlike the prequel trilogy.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
    Star Wars was fine, but never worth the obsession it got. Too many better movies.
    Planet of the Apes series (old and new) is better than the star wars series. This cult mentality around Star Wars and Jedis and all that bullshit is ridiculous. Gandalf is stronger than all of them combined.

Hey man, just saying it how it is.

- - - Updated - - -

In LOTR they have fictitious full on languages in there!! What does Star Wars have?! Grumbles with subtitles :lol:
    And Tolkien was tripping when he wrote his shit, what did the star wars guy do when he was writting?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    Planet of the Apes series (old and new) is better than the star wars series. This cult mentality around Star Wars and Jedis and all that bullshit is ridiculous. Gandalf is stronger than all of them combined.

Hey man, just saying it how it is.

- - - Updated - - -

In LOTR they have fictitious full on languages in there!! What does Star Wars have?! Grumbles with subtitles :lol:
    And Tolkien was tripping when he wrote his shit, what did the star wars guy do when he was writting?
    :confused: wasn't he a Jesus freak? What a hypocrite

OP
    ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #158
    Misplaced. Yes. Considering the quality of the first 6 films in the franchise, I see absolutely no reason for this film to be so insanely hyped. But that's the world we live in.

Popularity has next to nothing to do with quality.
    Because the next instalment of the most popular (once thought finished and closed) movie series ever isn't going to be hyped :lol::lol::lol:

LOTR is vastly superior to star wars in every way.
    :lol::lol::lol:

Star Wars was fine, but never worth the obsession it got. Too many better movies.
    :lol::lol::lol:

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
    Boromir alone is a more complex character than any character the ever so bland star wars has to offer.

- - - Updated - - -

heres a neg rep for your giggles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)