Spurs appoint Santini (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From The BBC:-

Tottenham have appointed France national boss Jacques Santini as their next head coach.
Santini will still mastermind France's campaign to defend their title at the European Championship in Portugal.

But the 52-year-old Frenchman will join the London club when his contract expires at the end of the tournament.

"I am an ambitious man and it has always been a dream of mine to coach a big English club in the most exciting league in the world," said Santini.

"I am delighted to get the opportunity to join Tottenham.

"They are a very big club, with a wonderful history and great traditions.

SANTINI FACTFILE
1952: Born in Delle, France
1976: Plays for Paris Saint Germain in European Cup final
1983: Starts management career at CA Lisieux
1985: Takes over at Toulouse
2002: Wins French title with Olympique Lyonnais
2003: Guides France to Euro 2004 finals

"Daniel Levy (chairman) and Frank Arnesen (sports director) have outlined their vision and I share their ambitions.

"I am determined to help the club return to its place amongst the elite," he added.

Spurs finished 14th in the Premiership and spent 10 months looking for a new coach after dismissing Glenn Hoddle six games into the season.

Levy told BBC Five Live he was delighted to have appointed a coach of such high calibre.

"We haven't had success for such a long time. It's a credit to Tottenham we can attract this type of manager," he said

"I said some time ago that we would make a right appointment - a big name to take the club forward.

"Jacques has been credited with developing young players and giving players special attention.

"He also has a determination to be successful in England."

Arnesen, who will take over from departed director of football David Pleat on 1 July, hailed the news.

At last we can stop whinging on about lack of progress on the manager front

Santini's French side are being tipped as favourites to win Euro 2004, which begins on 12 June.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    He said something in his interview..."I will enjoy leading Spurs for the next year?"

Strange...just a year...maybe a rolling contract, but maybe has a walkaway clause too

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    Spurs interestingly linked with ambitious transfer targets.. could Santini turn these club into something that can rock the top 3?
    Are you kidding !! Sanitini will sink then as he did with France..

Santini...Sign Wlitord and take Spurs to Nation Wide man :D

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Santini has been linked with half of his France squad in the past couple of months, remember? Thuram, Sagnol, Lizarazu...

Who did he finally get?

I am not surprised he decided to move to England. He is probably enspired with what Arsen Venger did in the past 4 years. We will have another "French National Team" in the EPL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)