Split from the Azzurri Photo thread: The English Grammar Debate (6 Viewers)

OP
IlDivinCodino

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
Mar 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #21
    Raj, you're just too funny lol :D

To be honest, the whole idea of me pissing you off is because you are a bias, naive Italian fan whom were unable to accept a simple fact that France was the better team in 2000. And despite how hard I tried to point it out, you remained the same. You are a sore loser who would never admit to a loss your team has suffered and a terrible, hypocritical debater. Up until now you've failed to prove your English is anywhere near perfection and has yet to admit to your own mistakes.

I would not say I'm sorry because the amount I cursed at you was nowhere near to the insults you've thrown at me. Lose the attitude and you'll find yourself living in a better place. So seriously have anyone yet to side you in any of our arguments? No. Thus, start wondering why when you have the free time.

Just my 2 cents. You have fun.

PS: Great pictures of the Azzurri. Keep up the good work.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Raj_05

Feb 19, 2008
    Yes I do, I feel that in(space)spite (should be "despite" anyway) of getting an education if ppl can't spell, or dunno tense or simply do not know structure, ; then they might as well do some laundry work....

The structure of this sentence is messed up to begin with.
    What is the point of using a semicolon and a colon or a comma ??? First of all, I think you should go look THAT up.... Lemme just remind u : A semicolon is used when u pause longer than normal and a comma is used to create just a brief stop in thoughts and flow of the sentence.... I guess u knew all this, and despite understanding the flow of the sentence, u misunderstood it.... Good job !!! :xmas:

(stop doing this) See when ur I.Q. hits 50 u should consider selling.... (what?)
    That's called a sarcastic jibe.... If I were you, I'd put both those words in here seperately and try to understand what they mean : http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Show me "every1" ; every1 is plural not singular ; meaning many not 1.... SHOW ME, O' Wise One !!
    The toilet cleaner's just a general outcome of ur country (,Here's where a semicolon could be used) u know u have the cleanest toilets in the world,. hmmm, I wonder why....
    Now lemme see : You would HAVE liked me to change that (inspite of the fact that I wouldn't because as I said earlier, there's a reason why a semicolon / a comma are different) ; so you should have said "here's where a semicolon could HAVE been used...." Poor tense usage here, Sir !! :oops:

Thank You for that knowledge, O Wise One !!

Also for the inspite and in-spite or in spite thing : I have pointed out that this is a forum, and that I don't expect to have to write in Shakespearean style.... This is fast hand slag, sans total loss of structure or meaning....
    Read this too :
    I didn't know I was in dialogue with Shakespeare, I guess that's my bad.... In spite / inspite / in-spite like dunno (don't know) are colloquial terms ; NOT GRAMMATICAL pieces....

Understand the DIFFERENCE, O Sagacious pundit !!!

All I meant to do was to put it out?? ;. u have it hidden or inside ur profile, so I should go looking for it ??? Who do u think I am, yer Mam ???
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I have my real name. If you look under my profile.
    And if you'd taken the effort there's a thread for real names around. Need something new to make fun of?

All I meant was to put it out <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Read the >>>>>> <<<<<<<<< part.... Now read my explanation carefully here : All I meant was (for you to) put it out (to display it like I do)

If one has to keep on repeating stuff which is NORMALLY assumed to be understood, then he/she may have to keep re-typing all the contents again and again, which is nonsense....

Euro 2000 thread ; - go look it up....

This VERY same thread, - look (it) up.... Wear glasses. u must be suffering from autism or sumthing ; u can't even make out simple things....
    These are the first credible mistakes which actually make sense.... I agree there....

Yes, the opposite sex might be >>>liking me<<<<, I couldn't say that abt you could I ??
    My bad @@@ >>> <<< !!! :D

Oh I'm sooo scared to avoid a what, like I give a shit....!!! LOL it's always "I owned you" or "u're too scared",. wow, u must be a real man for sure !!!

At (space) least have some dignity and put ur real name, son,. don't be a sissy hiding under that title. jeez, what a

I didn't even see who he was ; I read his comment douchebag.... He didn't abuse me outta purpose (!??) unlike other retards in here....
    It's implied sarcasm hence the comma is used, if I actually needed to stop fully then I would have put an exclamation mark after wow.... Wouldn't that actually make sense instead of the comma ??

Outta = out of ; purpose = purpose.... Refer to the slang and Shakespeare comment AGAIN....

And (don't start a sentence with "and") yes, I do need to correct the English of ppl who go to night school,. we are taught to help the needy, or in this case, the "retarded"....
    To begin with AND is basically abt trying to reiterate one's point, not abt anything else.... It's basically abt trying to make one's point AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE....

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Firstly Raj, let me remind you that I'm not here to have a debate on English grammar. My original reponse to your post wasn't intended to say "ZomG uR EngLIsH sUX", but to warn you that you're stepping into dangerous territory playing the "go and learn English, you night-schooled ignoramus" card.

What is the point of using a semicolon and a colon or a comma ??? First of all, I think you should go look THAT up.... Lemme just remind u : A semicolon is used when u pause longer than normal and a comma is used to create just a brief stop in thoughts and flow of the sentence.... I guess u knew all this, and despite understanding the flow of the sentence, u misunderstood it.... Good job !!! :xmas:
    It's not a matter of understanding what the sentence is actually saying. What I was pointing out is that it's poor formatting to haphazardly throw semicolons about. A semicolon can be very useful when a brief pause is required, but when you start having two or more in one sentence, it simply becomes a fragmented scattering of thoughts rather than well-structured communication.

Also, standard formatting dictates that a space should come after a punctuation mark (comma, semicolon etc.) but not before. It's not very pleasing to the eye to see "First part of sentence : Second part of sentence".

That's called a sarcastic jibe.... If I were you, I'd put both those words in here seperately and try to understand what they mean : http://www.merriam-webster.com/
    I'm well aware of the meaning of 'sarcastic jibe', but my issue is that what you wrote doesn't make sense.

See when ur I.Q. hits 50 u should consider selling
    Was there supposed to be a comma after "See"?

As in "See, when your I.Q. hits 50, you should consider selling"?

This is when it becomes important to use proper grammar. If you don't separate your sentences where there would normally be pauses in speech, it becomes very difficult to understand what you're trying to convey.

Even so, what is that supposed to mean anyway? Selling what? What kind of jibe is that?

Now lemme see : You would HAVE liked me to change that (inspite of the fact that I wouldn't because as I said earlier, there's a reason why a semicolon / a comma are different) ; so you should have said "here's where a semicolon could HAVE been used...." Poor tense usage here, Sir !! :oops:
    There's nothing wrong with the tense I used in that case; both tenses would be correct. Your post still stands in the present, and English grammatical rules are relatively constant i.e. "if your post were to be rewritten, here's where a semicolon could be used."
    Also for the inspite and in-spite or in spite thing : I have pointed out that this is a forum, and that I don't expect to have to write in Shakespearean style....

I didn't know I was in dialogue with Shakespeare, I guess that's my bad.... In spite / inspite / in-spite like dunno (don't know) are colloquial terms ; NOT GRAMMATICAL pieces....

Understand the DIFFERENCE, O Sagacious pundit !!!
    Then you need to make up your mind. Again, I wasn't saying that your English grammar is awful. All I said is that you need to be careful when you choose to make fun of other people's English. So in essence, you're being a hypocrite here - you're pointing out mistakes in other people's writing, then going on to defend your own by getting defensive and accusing me of expecting you to write in Shakespearian style.

I understand that this is an international community and that English isn't the first language of many of its members. In all my time on this forum, there has been just one other time I've pointed out mistakes in other people's writing, and that has been in an identical situation to this one: someone with self-esteem issues poking fun at another member's writing. In fact, I made a thread here a few years back asking "How are you all so good at English?", go look it up.

So you have a choice to make: either apply the "it's just the internet, don't be so pedantic about grammar" to others and yourself, or go around telling other members that their English is poor, but be prepared to have your own posts examined.

This is fast hand slag, sans total loss of structure or meaning....
    Sans total loss of structure? So... "without total loss of structure"? Stop contradicting yourself, man!

Read the >>>>>> <<<<<<<<< part.... Now read my explanation carefully here : All I meant was (for you to) put it out (to display it like I do)
    I understood what you were saying, but I was pointing out that "put it out" is not a valid way to phrase what you were intending to say.

It's implied sarcasm hence the comma is used, if I actually needed to stop fully then I would have put an exclamation mark after wow.... Wouldn't that actually make sense instead of the comma ??
    No. This is not about implying sarcasm using a comma (which doesn't make sense anyway). Whether you were intending to insult or lavish praise,

LOL it's always "I owned you" or "u're too scared", wow u must be a real man
    shouldn't have a comma between the quote and "wow" anyway.

Outta = out of ; purpose = purpose.... Refer to the slang and Shakespeare comment AGAIN....
    Again, you're totally missing the point. Notice that I haven't picked up on any other shorthand or abbreviations such as "u, u're" etc. The problem is that "out of purpose" should read "on purpose".

To begin with AND is basically abt trying to reiterate one's point, not abt anything else.... It's basically abt trying to make one's point AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE....
    Ahh, but you were the one who first picked a bone about grammar. Making one's point as clear as possible is all well and good, but to go and make fun of another member's English, then begin a sentence with "And" is hypocrisy, wouldn't you agree?

In any case, I don't wish to clutter up this thread with such off-topic nonsense, and my intention was never to begin a debate on the English language. If you wish to continue this discussion, you can either PM me or open a new thread to carry on.

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
    gray
    absolutely agree with you this forum is not for only those who have excellent English skills, so it's not fair to insult someone because of that.

Raj_05
    I have nothing personal against you, but I think with your insulting on somebody's bad English, maybe unconsciously, but you've insulted many forum members.(including me)

so, just try not to do so. it's my friendly advise ;)

francesco

Till death do us part!
    Jul 25, 2006
    people arguing over english grammar..
    this is an international forum with members from all over the world. You must expect that some people's english skills are worse than others. Pointing out things like where comma's should be used is just silly.
    Besides, i thought this thread was for EURO 2008 Azzurri photos..

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
    people arguing over english grammar..
    this is an international forum with members from all over the world. You must expect that some people's english skills are worse than others. Pointing out things like where comma's should be used is just silly.
    Besides, i thought this thread was for EURO 2008 Azzurri photos..
    Agree with you, that's exactely what I said

P.S. Sorry for OFFtopic

Raj_05

Feb 19, 2008
    Raj_05
    I have nothing personal against you, but I think with your insulting on somebody's bad English, maybe unconsciously, but you've insulted many forum members.(including me)

so, just try not to do so. it's my friendly advise ;)

I dun recollect insulting you,,,, When did I do that ??? If I have insulted you, then why did u upload DVDs or videos when I requested ??? :tdown:

Raj_05

Feb 19, 2008
    I put a space between the word and the colon to make it more lucid.... Just like I put 4 dots instead of 1, when I say XYz.... Not that I'd expect you to understand but that is not a grammatical thing, or else maybe u guys should go rewrite the rules of English language....

I thought every1 understood the following but just to make it clear :

I am using fast hand slang.... Hence the u're instead of you're and dunno for don't know.... (If I type like this all da time, maybe some of u should have taken some notes)

Inspite of using fast hand slang, I still expect that the structure to remain, otherwise it's just a context being understood as sum1 mumbling or kiddy talk.... Hence the sans comment, since u know it all, u'd have known that inspite of using fast hand slang I still expect to have structure....

I read most of the stuff which you replied to, and I have to say that no matter what, even if I may be right, u would still say "No, I am right".... When I present facts and prove that I'm right (again and again), it's dismissed as "reversed psychology" which is preposterous because there's no such thing as reversed psychology.... So basically the point is that "You wanna have ur cake and eat it too".... Good for you....

Anyways, I agree to an extent that this thread doesn't need such a distraction when certain more important things, like the pics of the Azzurri team are added in here.... So I will not reply in here anymore, it's amazing that ppl dun even wanna admit that they're wrong when they indeed are, but expect others to admit their faults even though they dun exist....

Forrzzaa Azzurri per Sempree !!!

Raj_05

Feb 19, 2008
    Raj, you're just too funny lol :D

To be honest, the whole idea of me pissing you off is because you are a bias, naive Italian fan whom were unable to accept a simple fact that France was the better team in 2000. And despite how hard I tried to point it out, you remained the same. You are a sore loser who would never admit to a loss your team has suffered and a terrible, hypocritical debater. Up until now you've failed to prove your English is anywhere near perfection and has yet to admit to your own mistakes.

I would not say I'm sorry because the amount I cursed at you was nowhere near to the insults you've thrown at me. Lose the attitude and you'll find yourself living in a better place. So seriously have anyone yet to side you in any of our arguments? No. Thus, start wondering why when you have the free time.

Just my 2 cents. You have fun.

PS: Great pictures of the Azzurri. Keep up the good work.

Like I said before, I ain't gonna repeat myself.... You are the GOD in here amongst all us mortals, you kiss ass....

No that's not a typo, u actually kiss ass.... That's why I pity you.... I find it amusing that ppl sit behind their monitor screens and talk crap when they actually wouldn't have guts worth even "2 cents" to man up for their shit....

You rock, you are the Zenith, you're the Alpha and Omega.... You really kiss ass !! :D Keep it up !!!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I put a space between the word and the colon to make it more lucid.... Just like I put 4 dots instead of 1, when I say XYz....
    Wait, going against convention and using completely non-standard formatting makes things more lucid? Whatever floats your boat my man :eyebrows:
    I read most of the stuff which you replied to, and I have to say that no matter what, even if I may be right, u would still say "No, I am right".... When I present facts and prove that I'm right (again and again), it's dismissed as "reversed psychology" which is preposterous because there's no such thing as reversed psychology.... So basically the point is that "You wanna have ur cake and eat it too".... Good for you....
    Wait, what? I dismissed your 'facts' as reverse psychology? Are you sure you've been reading my posts?

Let me spell it out to you one last time:

I don't think your English sucks, and I never intended to get into an English language debate with you.

My only issue was that you were making fun of another member's language, and I pointed out small flaws in your posts to illustrate that you weren't in a position to be poking fun at others.

OP
    IlDivinCodino

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
    Mar 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #37
    I put a space between the word and the colon to make it more lucid.... Just like I put 4 dots instead of 1, when I say XYz.... Not that I'd expect you to understand but that is not a grammatical thing, or else maybe u guys should go rewrite the rules of English language....

I thought every1 understood the following but just to make it clear :

I am using fast hand slang.... Hence the u're instead of you're and dunno for don't know.... (If I type like this all da time, maybe some of u should have taken some notes)

Inspite of using fast hand slang, I still expect that the structure to remain, otherwise it's just a context being understood as sum1 mumbling or kiddy talk.... Hence the sans comment, since u know it all, u'd have known that inspite of using fast hand slang I still expect to have structure....

Anyways, I agree to an extent that this thread doesn't need such a distraction when certain more important things, like the pics of the Azzurri team are added in here.... So I will not reply in here anymore, it's amazing that ppl dun even wanna admit that they're wrong when they indeed are, but expect others to admit their faults even though they dun exist....

Forrzzaa Azzurri per Sempree !!!
    Sometimes I wonder whether you understand what others are trying to tell you or you're just interpreting everyone else's posts in a way you like. Plus, concerning the matter of where you've presented facts and proved that you were right "again and again", try finding someone that agrees with you. Or could it be that you were trying to make belief to yourself that you are always right? I've never seen anyone so ignorant in my life before.

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
    Raj_05

I dun recollect insulting you,,,, When did I do that ??? If I have insulted you, then why did u upload DVDs or videos when I requested ??? :tdown:
    It seems you couldn't quite understand my point brother, so I'll try to explain you clearer. I said word uncosciously insulted that means that you didn't want to do so, you didn't have such intention, but in fact you did and didn't even realize(because my English is also poor and when you insulting someone and calling him uneducated person, becasue of poor English, this means that you are saying the same thing about me and about members who's English is also not excellent) and I'm not angry about people who unconsciously doing something bad I'm just trying to explain them their incorrect behaviour and there is nothing common with uploading or not uploading DVDs. Did you get my point?? I hope so ;)
    Anyway let's finish with this Off-top ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)