Soon to be official: Morientes to Liverpool and Portillo back to Real (1 Viewer)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Morientes Deal Done

Liverpool have finally completed the deal to sign Fernando Morientes from Real Madrid.
The Spanish striker is understood to have agreed a four-year deal with Rafael Benitez's side and will undergo a medical tomorrow.

"Real Madrid and Liverpool have reached an agreement for the transfer of Fernando Morientes to the English club for a total price of €9 million," read a statement on Real’s official website.

"This afternoon the player will travel to Liverpool to undergo a medical that he will have to take tomorrow morning.

"The club has also confirmed today that Fernando Morientes, accompanied by (vice president) Emilio Butragueno and (sporting director) Arrigo Sacchi will hold a press conference to announce his departure to the Premier League."

The 28-year-old could make his debut against Manchester United on Saturday.

Liverpool have been in need of a striker following the summer sale of Michael Owen and the Djibril Cisse's broken leg, while Morientes has seen little first team action at the Bernabeu, partly due to their purchase of Owen.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
nice one by Liverpool... Morientes is such an undertaraded player..almost as underated as David Trezeguet.... hope he will adopt to the EPl as soon as possible...
I think he'll do fine. The only worry I'd have is whether he's suited to Liverpool's style, but Benitez has moved it in the right direction, so I'd be surprised if he flopped.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

I think he'll do fine. The only worry I'd have is whether he's suited to Liverpool's style, but Benitez has moved it in the right direction, so I'd be surprised if he flopped.
and i wont be suprise if he do flop. EPL is such a different league compare to other place in europe playing-style-wise.. thats why many superstars took a lot of time to settel..some never does... but Benitez is slowly gaining grip of that situation and adapt himself, so Morientes would adaptation process will be cushioned...

if he can repeat what he did with Monaco :eek:, Liverpool did a great bargain...

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
look at our history :rolleyes: and look at what Benitez is doing. we could be serious contenders in a couple years, and at least he'll be playing

I agree with Mikhail about the style thing...he's used to 4-4-2 while we usually play 4-5-1
It sucks that he can't play in the CL...but it probably helped drive his price down, so in the long run it might be a good thing

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
wow-that was a fast reply! if so, how could teams improve if they only got players that were "at their level"? the way to get better is to buy better players. He'll get plenty of playing time, and Liverpool is a much better team to play for than Lyon, the only other team to make a serious bid. and it's better for him to be playing consistently at Liverpool than almost never at Real

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I think he'll do really well at Anfield. And may provide Liverpool that spark theyve missed up front since the days of the 18 year old Owen.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Liverpool will be great once again with Morientes and when everywon is fit and if they can keep Gerrard. So it's not a bad move for him...

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
++ [ originally posted by barkuss ] ++

ehrhmhrmhr........BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ MY LIPS: "Morients is fcking GOD for Trezeguet.....A GOD"

cant believe they are tossing around Trezeguet's God.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)