Some CL questions... (1 Viewer)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
OK, just a few questions regarding the CL :

1) Assuming that we win our group, and Inter makes it thru, could we possibly play Inter in the next round ?? If we finish 2nd, could we meet Milan in the next round ??

In years past, teams from the same country could only meet in the semi's and final

2) If we were to pick up Oddo, Stam, or Stankovic in January, are they eligible to play in Europe ?? Whats the rule ????

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I'm not sure about us meeting Inter or Milan, but Oddo, Stam and Stankovic wouldn't be allowed to play for us in the CL for the remainder of this season because they have already done so for Lazio. In other words, they're cup-tied.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
OK, just a few questions regarding the CL :

1) Assuming that we win our group, and Inter makes it thru, could we possibly play Inter in the next round ?? If we finish 2nd, could we meet Milan in the next round ??

In years past, teams from the same country could only meet in the semi's and final

2) If we were to pick up Oddo, Stam, or Stankovic in January, are they eligible to play in Europe ?? Whats the rule ????
what I have read on diff. forums we won't be playing any side from the same country! I can't say I'm 100% sure about it (would be diff. If one had read it at Uefa.com)...

Oddo, Stam and Stankovic can't play in any UEFA Cup/CL games this year if
they would be signed with teams in those competitions!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
UEFA claim that you can play anyone in the knockouts, but the draw last year had only one permutation which kept every quarter-final free of one-country ties, and it came out. Alex Ferguson accused them of rigging the draw, and they brought him up in front of a diciplinary committee. He withdrew the statement, but it seems clear that UEFA keep teams from the same country appart in the first knockout round.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
seems like an ok idea......there are arguments for playing teams from the same country early, and arguments against it

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
seems like an ok idea......there are arguments for playing teams from the same country early, and arguments against it
I agree. I would prefer if they were honest about it though. :)

Aug 1, 2003
so we cant play inter or milan? Good. I want the italian renaissance to rule again this year :cool:

so if oddo is cuptied, i don't see the use of him here. i mean yeah he could be useful in serie a yada-yada-yada but might as well not get him overall if we can't use him in europe.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
yeah, juve and milan cant face each other so we wont be playing any other italian team. shame Roma didnt make it to the CL, they would have been better than Lazio and possibly inter.

anyway, even though there are only 2 italian teams left, they are looking at winning the competition anyway, they are good enough (provided we fix our fuking defence)

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
of course they are good enough! two CL finalist! if both of them not through, i'm gonna be very surprised (even i'm hoping Milan not through :D)

i think Juve and Milan will meet on semis or quarter final.(hope not)

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
no teams from the same country can meet till the semi finals.

Same thing with teams that were in the same group in the first round.

The draw is on Friday.( 12 PM CET )

Sep 28, 2002
the thing that countries from the same country cant play till semis is absurd. this competition is about finding out who the best team is. so to be the best you need to beat every team in your way. and thet rule is only made for commercial reasons :groan:
"we care about football"... sure.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
yeah but i think its fair. Why would you want to see two teams from the same country take out each other early in the competition ?

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I knew you couldn`t face teams from the same nation in the next round, but I didn`t know you could not meet them before semis. Are you guys sure of that? Last year in the quarters you could meet teams of the same nation; so was there a change of rules? Any official word anywhere?

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++
yeah but i think its fair. Why would you want to see two teams from the same country take out each other early in the competition ?
why not? more european derbys. more passion into the game. teams from more teams from different countries in further rounds. i mean, 3 italian teams in semis were good for italy but i would have liked man u over inter. milan - inter is something special. but when i dont care about the outcome of the game i want some eautiful play and more than 2 goals in 2 games.
i see all this thing like protectionism of big countries with big teams.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Hopefully we'll draw Lokomotiv, Sparta or Celta, and Real get Milan/Bayern so that one of the favourites go out early :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)