Born: 19 Feb 1954
Caps: 60
International goals: 22
Position: Midfielder
World Cups: 1982 and 1986
Clubs: Botafogo, Corinthians, Fiorentina, Flamengo and SantosFacts:
1. Known to smoke a packet of cigarettes every day
2. Did not make his international debut until he turned 25
Brazilian football legend Socrates is set to make his debut for non-league Garforth Town on Saturday.

The 50-year-old raised a few eyebrows last month when he said he would come out of retirement to play for the Northern Counties East League side.

"I'm looking forward to putting on the Garforth Town strip. I don't know anything about the place and I've never been to the north of England," he said.

"I'm not sure how long I'll manage but I'll give it my best shot."

Socrates, who retired from the game 14 years ago, captained his country during the 1982 and 1986 World Cups.

Nearly 3,000 are expected at the West Yorkshire club's Wheatley Park ground for the match against Tadcaster Albion.

"I've spoken to Socrates and told him he'll start on the bench," said club coach and owner Simon Clifford.

"I'm not sure how long he'll play for. We'll see what shape he's in. But if we get a penalty, I want him to take it."

Clifford, who runs his own Brazil soccer schools, is now hoping former Brazilian strikers Careca and Zico will turn out for the club next season.

Meanwhile, former England rugby coach Sir Clive Woodward is also due to spend two days observing the Brazilian-style training methods at the club.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
he want to start playing football back? at the age of 50?!!:wth:

I just hope he wont end up like Foe or Feher....

Sep 28, 2002
its a non league club, they're amateurs. socrates wont be running like horse for 90 mins. there's plenty of 50 yr olds playing for sides like this, even in lithuania.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
if i remember correctly it is a coaching role, not playing...okaying he wouldnt last 2 seconds now in england!
Yes, that's right. The weather would kill him. :p Read the thread : it's amateur football. He wouldn't need to be up to professional levels. In fact, he probably wouldn't need to be up to any levels. His technique will more than make up for any lack of pace or stamina, and his fitness is likely comparable with the average 28-year-old accountant or 40-year-old shopkeeper he's likely to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)