Show me yours and I'll show you mine (1 Viewer)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
The "reveal yourself" thread just got a brother... the "Show me yours and I'll show you mine"

Maybe just another wack idea... but so far I like it.
I wanna create a... well kinda like a... tourguide... I like to travel, and I like to read about other city's/countries. So write about your city or country and post a few pictures...

I'm from Copenhagen (Denmark) and I'll go first... I've gathered some information for thoose who are interested...

Denmark's capital city is situated on the Øresund, the body of water which separates the Danish island of Zealand (Sjælland) from the Swedish mainland. The Øresund Bridge is the only land-link between the two countries and is the world's longest cable-stayed mainspan bridge. It was officially opened on July 1st, 2000, by Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.

Copenhagen is also the home of the world's oldest monarchy, ruled since 1972 by Queen Margarethe II. The queen and her husband reside at Amalienborg Palace, in the center of the city. The Royal Guard changes watch everyday at noon on the palace square, with music if the Queen is in residence. It is a sight to see approximately two dozen soldiers in their blue uniforms. For special occasions, like the Queen's birthday, they wear dress uniforms which include red jackets.

Copenhagen was founded by Bishop Absalon in 1167, when he built a fort on the site. The name of København (Copenhagen) means Merchant Harbour, and was first used in the 11th century. This is also the home of the Little Mermaid, whose statue, cast in bronze in the early 20th century has lost her head several times over the years, but still endures.

"Strøget" which means 'stroll', is a long shopping street, and begins at the City Square, and ends at "Kongens Nytorv", a square fronted by the Royal Theater, as well as the beginning of "Nyhavn", which means 'New Harbour'. These are some of the centers of Copenhagen's night-life and tourism, along with Tivoli, Europe's oldest amusement park, and the many castles and churches scattered around the city.

There is nothing more Danish than taking a stroll along Strøget and stopping for a coffee and a pastry. People call it Danish, the Danes call it Vienna-bread. Or you could try some authentic "smørrebrød" with schnapps and beer for lunch.

Some facts about Denamrk and Copenhagen...

Climate
Our climate follows four distinct seasons. The temperatures vary considerably during the year, particularly during the winter period. July is normally the warmest month with an average temperature of just below 20°C. February is generally the coldest with an average of just below 0°C.

---

Language
Our mother tongue is Danish which is closely related to both Swedish and Norwegian. However, most Danes speak good English, and German and French are also spoken to some degree.

---

Location and size
Denmark is located in northern Europe between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. It is the southernmost of the tree Scandinavian countries and consists of a mainland peninsula, Jutland, and 406 islands. The capital, Copenhagen, is situated in the island of Zealand and is the largest city in Scandinavia.
In total Denmark covers an area of about 44.000 sq. km/27.500 sq. miles.

---

Politics
Denmark has a well-established tradition of stability and democratic rule going back to the age of the Vikings. The country has a one-chamber parliament called the "Folketing" consisting of 179 members, based in Copenhagen. Since November 2001, Denmark has had a coalition government led by the Liberal party (Venstre).
Denmark is a member of the European Union, the United Nations, NATO, and the Nordic Council.

---

Population
Denmark has a population of 5.3 million people, of whom seven per cent are of foreign origins.
1.7 million live in the Greater Copenhagen Area, and the Öresund region consisting of Copenhagen and southern Sweden (Skåne) has a population of 2.8 million inhabitants.

---

Religion
The State Church in Denmark is Evangelical Lutheran, but all religions are represented in the population. Protestant churches in major cities usually have services in English once a week.

---

Dannebrog – the flag of the Danes
Dannebrog shows a white cross on a red background and is generally considered the oldest national flag in the world.

The legend states that the Dannebrog was given to the Danes, in Lyndanis in what later became Estonia, in a battle headed by the Danish King Valdemar Sejr, Valdemar the Victorious, conducted to christianise the heathen. The Danes were losing, but then the Dannebrog descended from the skies and landed among the Danes who, when picking it up, suddenly found themselves victorious. Bishop Absalon, who also expanded the fishing village Havn into Copenhagen, then held the flag up to the sky and thus ensured the Danes their victory over the heathen Estonians who, recognising divine backing, speedily converted to Christianity. The fact that they were threatened with decapitation if they did not was not considered of importance by contemporary chroniclers!

This battle took place on June 15, 1219, and to this day we call the 15th of June Valdemar’s Day and fly the flag from all public buildings and buses, like we also do on all royal birthdays and during official visits to Denmark by foreign royalty and statesmen.

There seems to be, however, an actual historical event behind the legend of the flag. Fighting on the Danish side was a group of German Knights of Saint John, whose banner was precisely the white cross on a red background. Their banner tore itself lose and was carried by the wind up into the air and subsequently landed among the Danish knights. As a kind of thanksgiving for the victory, King Valdemar the Victorious adopted the flag as his private symbol for the Danish army, and soon it became the national flag. The Knights of Saint John also continued using the banner and brought it with them to Malta, where it became the flag of the Maltese Knights.

Unlike in other countries, it is very common in Denmark for ordinary people to fly the flag to signal important events in the family, like for example birthdays, weddings and the death of a family member, in which case the flag will be flown half-mast.

The Dannebrog is, along with Union Jack, the Tricolore and Stars and Stripes, one of the few named flags in the world. The name consists of two words: Danne from Old Frisian, meaning ‘coloured red’, and ‘brog’, from Old English, meaning ‘cloth’, related to the word ‘breeches’, together forming the meaning ‘red cloth’.

---

Transportation
Getting here
Copenhagen is easy to reach from any location. We have direct flights to/from 111 cities worldwide, several international train connections to/from Scandinavia and the rest of Europe, direct links to the European E-highway system, and international ship & ferryboat connections.

Getting around
Our public transport is safe, reliable, clean and inexpensive. Both trains and buses are frequent and efficient. As a city we offer the fastest and cheapest airport-to-city-centre rail link in any European capital: just a 20-minute ride at the cost of only DKK 22,50 (Remember to purchase the ticket before getting on the train).

----

Exclusive places to see
As you would expect from a historical capital and a former European City of Culture, Copenhagen has a vast range of cultural sights and attractions.

Its museums, for example, cover everything from the history of Denmark (in the National Museum), to the art of the country's so-called Golden Age (at the Hirschsprungske Samling), right up to international modern art (at Louisiana).

Meanwhile, a particularly pleasurable way to see many of the city's fine historical buildings is to take a boat tour of the canals.

You do not want to miss a stroll in the romantic Tivoli Gardens, dating from 1842, while Bredgade continues the charm of the old days and boasts numerous art galleries and antique shops.

As well as picturesque and historically important buildings, the city also has several radical and dynamic new structures, chief among them the new extension to the Royal Library, nicknamed the Black Diamond.

---

Wanna know more? Then ask! :D

Now it's your turn!!!!

pics...

I'll post some pics as well and i'll start with the Royal Library, also known as the Black Diamond.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Well, but we can do the post shorter??

it took a while to read all your country´s characteristic,, but veyr interesting,, ill try to do one.

OP
Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    Well, but we can do the post shorter??

it took a while to read all your country´s characteristic,, but veyr interesting,, ill try to do one.
    Sure... just post

Another pic...
    The town square in Copenhagen, where people gathered after we won Euro 92'

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++

Wanna know more? Then ask! :D

Now it's your turn!!!!

pics...

I'll post some pics as well and i'll start with the Royal Library, also known as the Black Diamond.
    Someday I will read it all I promise :angel::D

I was scrolling down and down and down... and thinking: where the hell is the end? :confused::D

Good idea though :)

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Ally ] ++

Someday I will read it all I promise :angel::D

I was scrolling down and down and down... and thinking: where the hell is the end? :confused::D

Good idea though :)
    yeah right :p :D

It was kinda loooooong.... so I removed the part about great danes... Now it's only about Denmark and the capitol.

another pic... the planetarium in Copenhagen.

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    Hopefully I won't be the only one doing this.... :groan:

I expect something in return... :D

Easy2Die

May 26, 2003
    First I'm from the Untied Arab Emirates....(Dubai)

The United Arab Emirates is located in Asia .. and one of the GCC countries.
    It is a coastal country... !

The UAE contains 7 emirates..(AbuDhabi- Dubai- Sharjah- Ajman- Umm Al Quwain- Ras Al Khaimah- Al Fujairah)

Capital: AbuDhabi ( The largest city in the UAE)

The Population: about 3 Million (half of them in these forums :D)

Religion : ISLAM

Language: ARABIC

What is the UAE famous for:

Oil, Tourism and it's safety;) and ME:D

Weather: Co0l and cloudy:cool: in Winter Hot and Humid in Summer:(

Transportation: Planes, Cars, Buses, Yacht, motorbyces and Byces. ( there is a plan for Trains )

Exclusive places to see: Abu Dhabi: Old forts and Museums - Dubai: Burj Al-Arab ( the only seven stars hotel in the world ) and many other interesting land mark projects like ( palm island : man made island / Emirates Hills / The World : islands inshape of the world map and contains all the contenets and many others coming on the way )
    For addition there are many tourism places like SAFARI trips to the desert and Al Maha Resort that is located in the middle of the desert ...)
    ALSO ..... there will be the highest tower in the world in Dubai ( Burj Dubai )

Sharjah : khalid Lake ( man made lake , and it has the third biggest fountain in the world ) and its famous of traditional building and cultre )

am tierd now and PART TWO of this conversation will come soon ( Exclusive on Easy2Die posts )

ENJOY THE PICs ) :D

Easy2Die

May 26, 2003
    Dubai has unveiled plans for a palm tree-shaped resort island on land reclaimed from the sea that will add 120 kilometres of sandy beaches and be visible from the moon.

"Palm Island" will include 2,000 villas, up to 40 luxury hotels, shopping complexes, cinemas and the Middle East's first marine park, said Sultan bin Sulayem, chairman of Dubai Palm Developers.

The island will be built in the shape of 17 huge fronds surrounded by 12 kilometres (7.5 miles) of protective barrier reefs, extending five kilometres (three miles) into the sea south of Dubai city.

"The project has taken four years of methodical planning and exhaustive feasibility studies to ensure that the islands can be built without disrupting the environment," Sulayem said.

They will be accessible by 300-metre (990-feet) bridges from the mainland or boat to two marinas, while the main causeway will also have a monorail system.

The project will be built on 80 million cubic metres (2.8 billion cubic feet) of land dredged from the approach channel to the emirate's Jebel Ali port, an operation that will deepen the channel to 17 metres (56 feet).

Khalid bin Sulayem, head of Dubai's tourism board, said the project would elevate Dubai "from regional players to leaders in tourism development who focus on modernising and expanding tourism infrastructure to attract more tourists."

Property on the islands, expected to take up to four years to complete, will be for sale to foreigners as well as Emiratis. Sulayem did not put on a figure on the project cost.

A consultant with Palm Developers told AFP at Dubai's Arabian Travel Market that the contract for the project was expected to be awarded next week and construction take up to five years.
    With its oil resources running out, Dubai, part of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), has launched a multi-billion dollar tourism drive in an effort to establish itself as the Gulf's leisure hub.

The local Abdullah al-Futtaim Group last month launched Dubai Festival City, a project to develop a four-kilometre-long (2.5-mile-long) stretch of the emirate's southern creekside at a cost of 1.6 billion dollars.
    And a 10-billion dollar project to build a new city called Dubai Marina is already well underway. It is to house 100,000 people around a huge water basin within a decade.

From:http://www.sevenseastour.com/info/traveltips/palmisland.html

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
    Here r some informations bout my country :

SULTANATE OF OMAN

The Sultanate of Oman occupies the southeast corner of the Arabian Peninsula and is located between latitudes 16° 40' and 26° 20' North and Longitudes 51° 50' and 59° 40' East. The coastline extends 1,700km from the Strait of Hormuz in the north, to the borders of the Republic of Yemen in the south and overlooks three seas - the Arabian Gulf, Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea.
    The Sultanate of Oman borders Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in the West; the Republic of Yemen in the South; the Strait of Hormuz in the North and the Arabian Sea in the East.
    The total land area is approximately 309,500km2 and it is the third largest country in the Arabian Peninsula.
    The Sultanate of Oman is divided into three governorates - Muscat, Dhofar and Musandam and five regions-- i.e. there are eight administrative regions: A'Dakhliyah; A'Dhahira; Al Batinah; Dhofar; Al Wusta; Muscat; Musandam; Al Sharqiya. Each of these is subdivided into smaller districts called wilayats, which are governed by the wali, the person responsible for the area who reports to the Ministry of the Interior.

Topography:

Oman's terrain has a varied topography, consisting of plains, desert, mountain ranges and wadis. The rock matter is predominantly sedimentary and is rich in metallic mineral deposits, such as copper, chromite and gold. The two main mountain ranges are the Hajar range, running from Musandam to Ras al Hadd; and the Qara range in Dhofar, which attracts the light monsoon rains during the mid-summer months. Around 82% of Oman consists of desert. Most conurbations arise on the coast.
    There are many caverns in Oman and the country is home to one of the largest caves in the world, Teyq Cave, which is 250m in depth, 300 million m3 in size. It is thought that the cave was formed as a result of several chambers collapsing due to erosion.
    There are several islands located in Oman's waters, the largest of which is Masirah in the southeast which is accessed by boat and plane.

Climate:

The climate differs from one area to another. It is hot and humid in the coastal areas in summer; while it is hot and dry in the Interior with the exception of the higher mountains, which enjoy a moderate climate throughout the year. Rainfall is generally light and irregular; although heavy rains and thunderstorms can cause severe flooding. In the south, the Dhofar region has a moderate climate and the pattern of rainfall is more predictable with heavy monsoon rains occurring regularly between May and September.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)