Serie A To Be Expanded to 20 Teams (1 Viewer)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Serie A To Be Expanded?

08/25/2003. League President Adriano Galliani has suggested that from the 2004/05 season, Serie A be expanded to 20 teams.

This would then reduce Serie B back down to 22 sides, after the division was controversially increased to 24 last week.

Like the Premiership, Serie A would then have three relegation places, as opposed to the current four.

Although the season will be much longer, But I guess it will be good to have 20 teams in serie A instead of 18.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Signor

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Not this season yet, it's still a suggestion which may be approved or not. anyway The EPL has 20 teams so what's the problem with applying this to Serie A too.

OP
    Signor

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    Serie A follows British example?

----------------------------------------------

League President Adriano Galliani has suggested the 2004-05 Serie A Championship will consist of 20 teams.

The suggestion to increase the number of sides in the top flight, simultaneously evening out Serie B to 22 outfits, has been met with quiet optimism.

It is the latest solution for the chaos that has enveloped Italian football during the last few months.

We remind you that Serie B was controversially extended to 24 teams last week, effectively annulling the relegation of Catania, Genoa and Salernitana.

As Cosenza had gone bankrupt, Fiorentina were given the fourth promotion spot as a reward for “sporting merit.”

Galliani’s solution would be effective from this coming season, in that there would be just three relegation places from Serie A instead of four.

To even out the numbers, there would be five promotion spots in the second division, overall making the Italian League more competitive throughout.

It is the latest step in Serie A’s attempt to cut costs and emulate the English Premiership set-up.

“It is an intelligent proposal,” noted Brescia President Gino Corioni in the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport’. “I am certainly going to consider it.”

Brescia have already announced their solidarity with the B teams currently on strike in protest at the expansion to 24 teams.

If the proposal can be discussed and passed in next week’s League meeting, then the Serie A and B Championships can perhaps kick off as planned on August 30.

“The real problem is the difference in turnover between the big clubs and the smaller outfits,” he continued.

“Fewer relegations would certainly help solve that issue, as Italy are the only country to have four down and four up every year, but it is not enough.”

OP
    Signor

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by BloodOnMoral ] ++
    It's better not to be aproved IMO. Better for the player's health
    So you think EPL players are suffering from Health problems ;)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    If this is approved, it will either mean that there will be more mid-week games like in England, or the 2 week break during xmas is removed.

Galliani had always been in favour of an enlargement of the Serie A, so probably he's using this excuse to push his idea.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    This idea is only good if they dispose of that terrible Coppa Italia. Or at least delete the two leg system so the number of matches decreases!!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    I don't agree with this. The top players play too many games over the season as it is. It would mean the scrapping of the Christmas break -which is a good idea, or else fixture congestion. I've long favoured the EPL going to 18 otr even 16 teams for these reasons.

I like the idea of reducing the number of religations though. Four seems excessive, especially in a small league.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    this doesnt make sence... i thot these are the same people that said that player suffer from too much football....they condemned international fixture but at the same time want to expand the league? sounds contracdicting to me...

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Interesting idea. The thing is, it reduces the number of games for the little teams, but leaves the bigh teams with just as many.

Smaller gate receipts for little clubs = banko rupto.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Interesting idea. The thing is, it reduces the number of games for the little teams, but leaves the bigh teams with just as many.

Smaller gate receipts for little clubs = banko rupto.
    you know i waz just joking around ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)