SERIE A: Modena - Juventus (5 Viewers)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
:star::star: MODENA-JUVENTUS :star::star:

Stadio Alberto Braglia. Saturday November 22, 2003. 18:00 CET

After the international break, life gets back to Serie A once again this weekend as well as leagues across Europe. In Italy, Juve opens up Round10 with a visit to Modena on a Saturday evening, looking to extend their remarkable run.

Modena might seem to be the sort of team that keeps lingering in the relegation zone, but they continue to impress this season and have gathered enough points to see them share a comfortable seventh position with Chievo, which could mean European Football for the Canarini next season.

Modena’s last match at the Stadio Braglia saw them defeat a desperate Perugia side 1-0, with veteran GK Ballota keeping his umpteenth clean sheet. In fact, Modena could be proud of a better defensive record than the Italian champions (Modena 8 to Juve’s 9).

On the other hand, the Bianconeri are on top of the table – unbeaten as of yet this season. They have dropped just 4 points from a possible 27 and are two points ahead pf their nearest rivals – Roma and Milan.

A fortnight ago, Juve were ruthless as they brushed aside Udinese (4-1) inside 15 minutes. Marco Di Vaio scored a double, with Miccoli and Trezeguet netting the others.

Tactical Setup:

Modena applies Alberto Malesani’s trademark 3-4-3 system.

The backline trio consists of Pirotto, Ceveli, and Ungari. The latter two have each nodded a goal during the surprise 3-0 win in Empoli.

The midfield is composed of Camedeli, Marasco, Milanetto, and Balerdi. Campedelli (no, not Chievo’s owner) takes control of the right wing whereas Bareldi is in the left. Marasco has enough experience to hold the midfield together. Milanetto is a different story, he is a talented playmaker who was definitely the best surprise of last season and continues to deliver this season. Week after week, he keeps on providing the Canarini with plenty of class and imagination which even made some pundits nominate him for a place in the Azzurri set-up early on the season.

The offensive trio consists of midfielder-cum-forward Allegretti, the ‘next Henry’ Kamara, and ex-Juventini Amoruso.

For Juve, Lippi is expected to rest some International players and continue with his squad rotation system – a double-edged sword. So, expect a makeshift starting eleven on Saturday evening. A similar selection was made by Lippi against Ancona which saw us win 3-0.

Il capitano will embark in a sort of redemption mission after his appaling (to say the least) comeback against Udinese. But the one week rest should serve him well.

Endnote:

A win in Modena is not only important to solidify our place in the table, but to also continue our positive run and keep the ‘feel good’ factor in the squad ahead of some crucial clashes. Lippi’s aim is to keep our upbeat form alive and stretch our successful roll up to the Christmas break.

But before that we have to negotiate some testing matches which include a home match against Inter in the Derby d’Italia, sandwiched between trips to Istanbul and another one to the Eternal City to face the Biancocelesti in none other than the daunting Olympico.

It would be silly to look at this match as a forgone conclusion and take the points for granted, because they may not be achieved that easily. Modena will have a go and will try to get something from this match. For our players and fans it is going to be just another day in Serie A. But for Modena it going to be a historic event.

Afterall, they are welcoming ‘La Vecchia Signora’.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
As you may have noticed, Off-topic posts has been deleted from this thread .. all posts here should be concerning the Modena-Juve match or at least something that has to do with football ..
My bad, I'm sorry :frown:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Yeah, me too, DP.

See that, Z? You got us both in trouble. ;)

At least my draft explanation wasn't deleted, as I was simply trying to teach something to the people.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
As you may have noticed, Off-topic posts has been deleted from this thread .. all posts here should be concerning the Modena-Juve match or at least something that has to do with football ..
fewhh.. that was close.. i was already hesitated to ask more about that draft thing from Sergi..:rolleyes: :scared:

ohhh..:dazed: :

errrr .....*think,think*.... i think we will lose this game bcoz of complacensy ...:D (fewhh)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, I think, and I repeat, THINK, that if you were to ask me about it, and how it would affect football, then it may be OK.

I do appreciate them not deleting that post, though. It's not a very easy process to explain, but if you're used to it, it can really make the off-season a lot of fun.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
Well, I think, and I repeat, THINK, that if you were to ask me about it, and how it would affect football, then it may be OK.

I do appreciate them not deleting that post, though. It's not a very easy process to explain, but if you're used to it, it can really make the off-season a lot of fun.
ok then...

seems from what i understand...

clubs pick players according to turns... and the worst team can pick first....*comes the part where i dun understand what i dun understand*...
... ... ... i mean its like slave auction... somehow doest seem rite... they round young players and the clubs in turn will pick players they want..

what happen to the best offer comes first?..

the players dont have the right to choose team they play at all? ..

dont the clubs have own homegrown players? or the rule dont implied on that case..?

i also dont understand the way to buy turn...*sorry :down:*

.hmm... maybe i will be much clearer after u answer that questions first...

ohh.. and Juventus have to keep an extra eye on that Kamara guy.. i hear he is good..;)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Ok, I see where this is going.

In regards to a "slave trade" approach, as you would describe it, it would seem that way,except for one major difference.

Player salaries.

Case in point, the first player selected overall will receive a far larger annual salary and possibly what is called a "signing bonus" than the 20th player selected.

What this does, in effect, is prevent the rich teams from getting richer every single year, and gives some of the smaller clubs a legitamate chance to compete.

Let's look at it another way. Let's say that we were all supporters of Lecce. Under the current system, they simply don't have the money to acquire young talent and stay competetive, for they don't have the resouces and capital to do so. In turn, they need to rely on other teams young players or players who are well past their prime and are still looking to collect a paycheck.
Knowing this, what chance does Lecce have to be a force in Serie A? The answer, none. Because once these young players have enough experience and are re-claimed by their team and the older players fade away, they have to start all over again. Now, if a drafting system were to take place, Lecce could select a young player for its team, develop that player into a star, and then not have to sell him off.

See, where the problem lies, not just in Serie A, but around the rest of the football world as well, is there is a huge financial disparity between the top 4 or 5 teams in each league, and the rest of the division.

Those lower end teams are basically reduced to being a developmental squad for the powerful teams' young players, or a haven for the has-beens. To me, that doesn't seem very fair. If a team like Lecce or Empoli is going to scratch and claw their way back into the top league, they should , in time, be given at least a fighting chance of being competitive.

See, the reason why the system works here is that nearly all of our young players are that are selected come through the high school and/or collegiate ranks, and if selecting these players all came down to the highest bidder, then you would have a similar situation that we have in europe, where you have 3 or 4 very strong teams and the rest are mediocre.

The difference though, is that the american fan, in general, is extremely fickle, and there is NO WAY that they would support a team that had no chance of winning year in and year out, with no competitive balance to level the playing field. There are just too many other things to do here, and other sports teams to spend their money and their time on. The system in place right now works great for Juve, but we'd be on constant suicide watch if we were a supporter of Empoli or Ancona, because we'd have no hope.

Yes, teams do have homegrown players, these would be the players that they have drafted. What teams don't have is a minor league system, where the players who are too good for primavera but not good enough for Serie A would form teams and play against each other. They would also serve the purpose of having a player who is just coming back from an injury, be allowed to rehabilitate and play, without having to jeopardize themselves or their respective Serie A team in the process.

In regards to trading turns, or draft picks, in this case, it's really quite simple.

Let's say that this is 1993, and Del Piero is available, and the draft system is in place, and Juve has the final selection in the 1st round. Therefore, there would really be no way of Juve getting him unless they switch places with Ancona, would be able to select first before any team. Ancona, knowing that Del Piero is going to be a fantastic player, and knowing that Juve want him, offers the chance to switch places in this round with Juve so that Juve can pick first. However, ancona will not just do this for nothing, they want something in return. So, Juve agrees to exchange their pick (18th) with Ancona (1st), and also gives them Roberto Baggio and cash. Ancona accepts the deal, and Juve switch places and selects Del Piero.

Now, let's assume that Del Piero is not yet ready to be a full time player, but putting him in primavera will do him no good, because he will be a man among boys. Well, since you can't loan out players to these lower teams anymore, because each one will have their own development system, you send him out in the develpommental league, against other young players of his caliber, to develop his skills, instead of having him sit on the bench and do nothing.

I hope (and pray) that this clarifies it for you, and for anyone else who may have been wondering.

Oh, and Before I forget, Juve 1, Modena 0 :D:D

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Hey all,:cheesy:
I read now that Gala-Juve game is postoned to the 2nd of December bacause of Turkey's(Istanbul's) nowadays situation....
Poor Turkey....:down:
So no game in the mid-week,So i think all of the the first team can play.:cool:

Modena-Juve
0-2.(Dp*2):angel:

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
Since Tuesday's game vs Gala is postponed, I think we should definitely start players like Thuram, Zambrotta, and Trez to make sure we get all three points. I hate to underestimate this team because IMO, they are quite dangerous and hungry.

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Roman ] ++
Hey all,:cheesy:
I read now that Gala-Juve game is postoned to the 2nd of December bacause of Turkey's(Istanbul's) nowadays situation....
Poor Turkey....:down:
So no game in the mid-week,So i think all of the the first team can play.:cool:

Modena-Juve
0-2.(Dp*2):angel:
All except for Appiah, Tudor, Zalayeta, and Davids who have all played on Wednesday.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by DAVIDZ ] ++
Since Tuesday's game vs Gala is postponed, I think we should definitely start players like Thuram, Zambrotta, and Trez to make sure we get all three points. I hate to underestimate this team because IMO, they are quite dangerous and hungry.
Yup.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, due to what happened today in Turkey, there's no reason not to put out the first team lineup, then.

My condolensces to the innocent people in Istanbul who have needlessly lost their lives. :down:

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Juventus’ Champions’ League tie at Galatasaray has been postponed by a week after today’s bomb attacks in Turkey.

The Bianconeri were set to face Gala at the Ataturk Olimpiyat stadium next Tuesday but will now play the game on December 2 instead.

UEFA decided to take the step after the terrorist attacks in Istanbul this morning which saw numerous fatalities.

The organisation said they took the decision after reviewing the security situation with the relevant authorities.

"We have decided to postpone the most imminent matches coming up in UEFA competitions in Turkey next week, given the seriousness of the today’s incidents," said Jacob Erel, UEFA's director of competition operations.

"Over the next few days, we will be closely monitoring the overall security situation in that country.

"We will remain in constant contact with the clubs and national associations concerned regarding any forthcoming matches scheduled in Turkey."

The UEFA Cup tie between Israel's Maccabi Haifa and Valencia, due to take place next Thursday in Izmir, has also been postponed after the attacks.

That game was scheduled to take place in Turkey as a result of security concerns regarding matches being played in Israel.

Channel 4, Football Italia.

My heart goes out to those in Turkey.

Aug 1, 2003
ookay, since we don't have gala soon so we might as well put in the first team. but it'd be nice to field in some second stringers..

i wish davids could play :rolleyes: im sticking with modena 0-2 juve.

amoruso will be playing?? YES!!!!

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
lippi wont change the line-up? so we'll have inter, gala, lazio coming up. i had hope we wud get a week-break b4 lazio match, but now.....

but hey, we can concentrate on inter right after modena....while inter have arsenal in town....

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
i think we will lose this game..for the reason of we have to lose sooner or later and its about time we do.. since we definately cant lose againt the likes of Milan and Inter bcoz the high intensity of the match and our player well be more focused and determinded, the only chance for us to lose is against Modena as there is some propability that the player will be complacent .. :thumb::p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)