[Serie A] Lazio 0-2 JUVENTUS, Sep 12th 2009- 3rd Round (51 Viewers)

Lazio - Juventus : Man of the Match

• Buffon

• Caceres

• Legro

• Chiellini

• Grosso

• Diego

• Marchisio

• Melo

• Camo

• Trezeguet

• Amauri

• Giovinco

• Tiago

• Molinaro

• Gervasoni (ref)

• Kolarov (Lazio)

• Ferrara (coach)

Results are only viewable after voting.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
i realy have faith on Caceres the way he was a lone in the first half without supportin' from Camo made him look shaky but he wasn't that bad TBH and he gained confidence after his goal...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
If this match was a movie, the title would be "Revenge of the Clowns". Because our two goals were scored late in this match by arguably two of the worst players on the pitch overall, in terms of play today.

We mostly dominated the first 20', but couldn't finish off our chances (and yes, this story line will play into one of our goalscorers later). The tide changed as Kolarov and Foggia started to pick us apart, as Caceres started stumbling all over the map in reply (and yes, this is our story line for another of our later goalscorers).

Gigi came up massive as the pressure was on, the defense was a mess, and we lost the plot for the next 30-40' of this match. Legro struggled, but it was perhaps his controversial takedown by Cruz at the first half whistle that saved the points for us in this match.

The second half started with many of the same problems as before. But just when Juve couldn't put a decent run together as a team, Cacares pounced on a ball and nails it for the first goal. Then a slop goal for Trez at the final whistle.

We suffered for this one. But the rotation of players ultimately pulled through in the end -- even if the papers are bound to complain about favoritism after Lazio's denied goal.

Winning ugly. And with Diego going down, etc., we'll more than happily take 3 points at the Olimpico in Roma.

Buffon - 7.5 - Quiet in the second half, but that wasn't his fault. Massive in the first half. Arguably my MOM.

Grosso - 5 - Pretty gross. Weak crosses, bad decisions, got spun around on defense and mis-hit balls... Not a good debut at all.

Chiellini - 7 - Our one real bright spot on defense. Some critical tackles and brilliant clearances. I can't image what this squad would be like if we didn't get him for peanuts from Fiorentina.

Legrottaglie - 5.5 - I might have rated him lower, but Legro has this knack for looking like a complete hack job in desperation on the pitch but still producing a clean sheet. This was one of those matches. His best work of the day was going down under Cruz at critical moments to win the ref's favor.

Caceres - 5.5 - Generally seemed out of position and was pretty disastrous on defense. Kolarov carved him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. But the goal changed everything. We suddenly found space as Lazio had to press. And the team came alive. Had a better finish than Trez all day, and Trez scored the other goal.

Camo - 5 - Selfishly taking direct shots instead of passing or crossing. A typical dumb foul here and there. Seemed to play out of the center instead of his more useful role on the wing. Not a good day at all.

Marchisio - 7 - I debated giving him a 6.5, but he was probably the most consistent and the most energetic player throughout the full 90'. Another possible MOM choice, though none of his best plays converted into much. Contributed on some good offensive passes, some good wins and drives in midfield, and showed immense Gattuso-like fight for the ball. On the negative side, took some deep shots needlessly (and awfully) - some awfully long passes as well.

Melo - 6.5 - Big in the first half, quiet to start the second, and came on when we had to again protect a lead. Solid.

Diego - 5.5 - Didn't accomplish much and wasn't very effective. He was double-teamed, but we couldn't take advantage of that either. A good playmaker can and should.

Amauri - 6.5 - Some will think he had a weak match, but I'll disagree. He was instrumental in setting up shots that Trez often blew. And he played a tremendous role in setting up offensive chances when we got the ball to him. The statistics just won't show how much he contributed to today's win, but he did a lot.

Trez - 5.5 - He squandered too many chances and got a late goal that was barely redeeming, given its late timing. Even it was off the goalie. But I'm glad he's on the scoresheet for us again. Needs more power in some of his shots, but the bigger problem was that he just could not control the ball in moments he had it. Obviously, he's our best one-touch striker when he's on and we can't expect dribbling skills, but come on!

Subs:

Giovinco - 6.5 - Coming in for Diego, I thought he had a bigger impact. He played well both on offense (some great, creative passes) and even, shockingly, on defense -- throwing his body in where we needed it.

Tiago - 6 - An improvement over Camo, but not saying a lot today. Not a bad game, though.

Molinaro - NR - Did his best not to be featured in this match, and for that I thank him. Staying out of the highlight reel is a good thing.

Coach:

Ferrara - 6 - Changed players up, which I liked seeing. And made some decent subs. The team sagged too much in the middle of this match, however, and was lucky not to concede.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Btw, I think Grosso was good considering that this was the very first match (beh, how many trainings did he have with the team?) and it takes time for a good link up play.
Still he was going up and down all the time, he knew how to use the free space and his passing (not crossing though) was good. Once he gets to know Diego, Melo, Giovinco and the attackers better, he'll be just fine.

Defensively i also expect him to do well since he already knows Canna, Chiellini and Legro.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Cáceres had a shocker till his goal, but I thought he actually picked it up a bit after that, getting a bit more involved going forward aswell. By then he had someone ( Marchisio ) infront of him giving him so much more cover and space than Camo was.

Gio did well. I'm glad he was able to get a few good runs in, winning challanges and spreading play well.

Trez.. what can one say. Ok, he scored, but he still moves in slow-motion. He got so lucky that ball went in off the goalie. I really hope this is the confidence boost he needed so badly and finally wakes up.

Marchisio was awesome, he was everywhere! Melo doing well aswell.

Sad Statue

wannabe Bart Simpson
Mar 28, 2006
when did you see caceres being fooled apart from this one time (when kolarov dribbled him and camo).

for me the guy was a beast in terms of defending. he is 22. it was his debut and he played in a position, he hasn't even played again...

memo

Nov 18, 2005
Yes you are correct, I just watch the highlihts of the game, and Marchisio was the one that help Caceres.

But my point is that when Camo was on, he wasn helping Caceres so, when Marchisio was switch to the rigth side he (Caceres) was a litle better
caceres was a lot better

bassel

Jul 19, 2009
for Trez he really missed his killer touch today by some good measures ... hopefully the goal might help to get some of that back and he sure needs more match fitness but i can see hope in todays display that he was able to be in the danger area.

marchisio was the MOM and after him comes buffon

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Cáceres had a shocker till his goal, but I thought he actually picked it up a bit after that, getting a bit more involved going forward aswell. By then he had someone ( Marchisio ) infront of him giving him so much more cover and space than Camo was.
True, the moment Camo went out we saw a different Caceres.
Sergio noticed it well in the Live thread because the moment Marchisio took over the right side and started protecting Caceres, the Uruguayan was able to go forward more often which resulted with one excellent cross, and a little later with the great goal.

May 22, 2007
Ugly way to win but it's still a win and 3 points and 100% for the season putting us top. My complaints are about the way we defended and the fact that the flanks still don't look secure, and Legro isn't really anywhere near Cannavaro. Grosso looked OK defensively (1 good cross in the entire match) but they seemed to focus on our right side, so Cáceres looked more exposed with Matuzalem, Foggia and Kolarov running at him. I don't think he did a bad job either, he just got outnumbered because there wasn't a great deal of support. Also, nice awareness to get into position for the goal, and I love our celebrations lately with everyone getting involved. Chiellini and Buffon once again prove how important to us they are as both of them had to do a lot to keep the clean sheet (ref can be thanked as well I guess), and covered for mistakes.

Camoranesi didn't look threatening at all, possibly tired from the midweek game but the quality of deliveries wasn't good even with his lucky cross which Muslera palmed out. I like the way Marchisio played today, getting stuck in and doing work going forward and backwards. Same can be said for Felipe Melo, apart from the silly yellow card he got (along with a couple of others). Giovinco also did well with what he had, and managed to cause enough trouble in their area for our second goal. Can't be said enough how lucky we are to have a player who can cover for Diego like he can.

Amauri and Trezeguet were both quiet and didn't cause much worry to their defenders, and with the chances given they both couldn't put any power on their shots. Still, Trez :touched:

I really expect to see sort of the same in midweek against Bordeaux and against Livorno with players getting tired after representing their countries but at least we have some match winners in the squad.

Claudio Marchisio man of the match :tup:

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Sergio noticed it well in the Live thread because the moment Marchisio took over the right side and started protecting Caceres, the Uruguayan was able to go forward more often which resulted with one excellent cross, and a little later with the great goal.
When Momo comes back he' ll be able to cover both FB's with Marchisio. :tup:

GarfielD

May 21, 2009
Diego, problema muscolare alla coscia destra

Diego è uscito alla fine del primo tempo della gara contro la Lazio a causa di un problema ai muscoli flessori posteriori della coscia destra. Le condizioni del brasiliano verranno valutate nelle prossime 48 ore.

Problems with his muscle, his condition will be more clear after 48 hours, am I right?

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Grosso was phenomenal compared to what Molinaro offers. Very relieving to have a leftback that isn't panicking at the sight of a football aproaching his feet. They're comparable defensively, but there is a gigantic difference between what they offer to a side overall.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Another justification for Marchisio as a MOM candidate, btw.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
If we are to play Serie A games, Champions League games, and happen to be the main supplier of players to the NT, then some fatigue is to be expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)