[SERIE A] Juventus - Catania (24th September, 2008) (6 Viewers)

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
Del Piero was annoying the hell out of me the first 60 minutes.
same here, on some ways it was like he was trying to prove to the fans that he is still the messiah and not gio, but for us he always will be, there was no need for him to be selfish, but i'm not gonna get angry at him because how often is DP selfish?

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
My first ratings, so don't be harsh on me:

Manninger- 6.5 - Had a couple of nice saves, couldn't save the goal. A solid backup and I'm glad we have him

Grygera- 6 - No mistakes from him, but nothing special either.
Legrottaglie- 6 - Had some really nice tackles, but probably should have done better on the goal

Chiellini- 5 - Not the usual Colossus we are used to, missed some balls, had his ass saved by Legro once or twice and really messed up on the goal.

De Ceglie- 6.5 - Combined well on the left, had some nice tackles, but there's still room for improvement on his defensive play

Marchionni- 5.5 - Went invisible sometimes, but also delivered some nice passes. Has to be involved more, though.

Poulsen- 6.5 - Solid, had some nice touches, yet sometimes goes for the long ball when not needed

Marchisio- 6 - Sissoko's tackles and Blasi's passes.

Giovinco- 8.5 - All he needed for a 10 was to score. Great dribbles, first touches, passes, vision, string on the ground, closing down well. Maradona who?

Del Piero- 5.5 - Great dribbles, nice touches, but a bit too selfish and his finishing left a lot to be desired.

Amauri- 7.5 - A beast in the air, rock solid on the ground, but should have scored more.

Salihamidzic- 5.5 - Defensively solid, but lacks the technique for a right winger.

Nedved, Tiago- N/A

Ranieri- 7- For the formation he started with, we played some breath-taking football, had loads of chances. Maybe shouldn't sub Gio, but as I was told, he had crumps so now, we can't rally bash him, he even made sensible subs (surprise). The only mistake on his side is not putting IQ in for DP.

Durden

May 11, 2006
These are the games we will look back to, when the titles are decided come end of the season.
Yes and without sounding to much like a drama queen, I fear we lost the title today.. You need to win against the small teams at home to have a realistic chance in the long run. Even if its a lucky 1-0 victory against Lecce..

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
We created more chances than in all the other matches together (Fiorentina, Udinese, Zenit, Cagliari). And this was all Giovinco's "fault".

I'm not trying to find excuses Vinny, but you just have to admit that we had an awful luck today. If in the previous matches we should have criticized our team for not attacking enough or not creating enough. But today we created a looooot, we defended well apart from that awful mistake Chiellini made and , even though the attackers MUST have scored more, i blame the bad luck and nothing else.
Even at 1:0 we had a great chance (or two) to make it 2:0 so it's not like we did nothing before Catania equalised.

Hopefully we won't have the same luck as today in the next matches and we'll continue playing the exciting football we played today.
Remember, we were missing two instrumental players.

I'm really frustrated for the lost 2 pts but we should all be happy for the way we played and how easily (for a change) we created all those chances.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Despite the draw and horrible defending, I saw a lot of positive things out there. First of all, kudos to Ranieri for fielding Giovinco even though I was almost positive he wouldn't due to his comments and just by the way he manages the team. This kid single-handedly provided us with an exponential increase in ideas with the ball, opening up the Catania defense like nobody else could do except for Del Piero. But most of us who have seen the kid play knew he was capable of producing such exquisite moves. I find it imperative to our season that this kid plays quite frequently, because if so, we will not have to worry about creating chances.

But that leads me to this - where the hell was the finishing today? Amauri, Del Piero, Poulsen, Giovinco, essentially every single player in the squad had a chance to put the ball away to secure the win, but it didn't happen. We were extremely unlucky not to win, which is something that I don't usually say very often.

These games are must win matches. Last season we seemed to trip up against teams that sit back such as Catania, and now we just saw a similar match where we just couldn't get the job done. There always seems to be something lacking with our play in these situations, and today it was finishing and dodgy defending. Usually we don't have trouble finishing chances and the defense is primarily at fault, but today both were suspect, so it's not just Chiellini's fault. The imbeciles who doubt Trezeguet's ability to change the game with his goal presence continue to look more idiotic by each and every post.

Overall, I saw a lot of positives out there, especially in the form of Giovinco. If he can provide chances such as these every single match, the creativity issue I have with the team will disappear. If we can rekindle our touch in front of goal from last season and play better defensively, there is no reason why we couldn't win in this mediocre/tough Serie A.

Manninger - Did what he was supposed to do and made some good saves. 6.5

Grygera - Still doesn't impress me defensively, nor offensively. Doesn't close down attackers just like Molinaro. Hopefully Zebina comes back soon. 5

Legrottaglie - Played well for the most part except a couple laspses. 6.5

Chiellini - Played well except for that horrible error. 5.5

De Ceglie - He's the best left-back we have and he played well tonight, but still needs to improve defensively. 6

Marchionni - Pretty much useless in my opinion. No reason to waste a position on this guy. Field Nedved on the right instead and he can switch flanks with Giovinco. 4.5

Marchisio - Solid performance in both passing and tackling. Didn't see too many errors, kept the ball moving nicely, and was pretty active. Very promising player who keeps a low profile and does his job. 6.5

Poulsen - Thought he could have done a bit better defensively, but still decent. 6

Giovinco - Absolute wonderkid and joy to watch. If he isn't a starter I'm going to kill somebody, because he is just sublime and adds everything we lack in attack. 8.5

Amauri - An absolute beast like usual and scored a great goal, but could have scored more. 7.5

Del Piero - Did well on a few moves but this was a mediocre match from Il Capitano. 6

Ranieri - Credit for fielding Giovinco, but I thought he should have kept Seba on the pitch. As soon as that boy came off we didn't look like scoring whatsoever. Ranieri still doesn't have the killer instinct as a manager though. 6

Hasan, Nedved, Tiago - Minimal stuff except for Hasan getting close to scoring.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
My first ratings, so don't be harsh on me:

Manninger- 6.5 - Had a couple of nice saves, couldn't save the goal. A solid backup and I'm glad we have him
Grygera- 6 - No mistakes from him, but nothing special either.
Legrottaglie- 6 - Had some really nice tackles, but probably should have done better on the goal
Chiellini- 5 - Not the usual Colossus we are used to, missed some balls, had his ass saved by Legro once or twice and really messed up on the goal.
De Ceglie- 6.5 - Combined well on the left, had some nice tackles, but there's still room for improvement on his defensive play
Marchionni- 5.5 - Went invisible sometimes, but also delivered some nice passes. Has to be involved more, though.
Poulsen- 6.5 - Solid, had some nice touches, yet sometimes goes for the long ball when not needed
Marchisio- 6 - Sissoko's tackles and Blasi's passes.
Giovinco- 8.5 - All he needed for a 10 was to score. Great dribbles, first touches, passes, vision, string on the ground, closing down well. Maradona who?
Del Piero- 5.5 - Great dribbles, nice touches, but a bit too selfish and his finishing left a lot to be desired.
Amauri- 7.5 - A beast in the air, rock solid on the ground, but should have scored more.

Salihamidzic- 5.5 - Defensively solid, but lacks the technique for a right winger.
Nedved, Tiago- N/A

Ranieri- 7- For the formation he started with, we played some breath-taking football, had loads of chances. Maybe shouldn't sub Gio, but as I was told, he had crumps so now, we can't rally bash him, he even made sensible subs (surprise). The only mistake on his side is not putting IQ in for DP.
pretty good effort for your first go mate! although i think poulsens rating was a bit too high, i would have said a 5.5 at best, and gio should only be an 8.5 if he scored a few!!

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
But really, if we keep playing like today, there's no way we won't win the Scudetto.
Imagine Gio on the left and Camo on the right :drool:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
no excuses...

we should have gotten the 3 points against a mediocre team that will most likely be relegated come seasons end

is it me, or did it seem like Gio and Amauri were making all their own chances, without any help from the midfield ?

the same problems I've talked about over and over still exist- the center of the midfield with DM's will win us nothing !!!

RUINeri bringing in Brazzo instead of IQ was a stupid sub, and expecting Tiago to make a difference was another

complacency once we had the lead, one defensive error, and too many misses by our forwards cost us the 3 points

get used to it boys...there are MUCH tougher games to come :frown:
Well, Marchisio and Poulsen did what they have to "do", meaning that they did their job. It's true though, we don't get much production from them offensively, which is still why I think somebody such as Xabi Alonso would do wonders for the team. The central midfield pairing should do a little more offensively.

But we were indeed unlucky today. Those shots could have went anywhere.

Jul 9, 2008
Simply ,

good match , great motivation and enthusiasm , fantastic creative team ,

BUT , WE WERE UNLUCKY , these things happen a lot in football ,

Let's hope that Milan draws with inter in the derby ,

WE MISS U TREZE , :(

Forza Juve , :bigscarf:

CAPITANO

58 ' SUPER SIC ' 58
Jul 12, 2006
when Catania equalized thats when we started creating all our chances,

thats what pisses me off we can't attack when were 1 - 0 up, we only do when we need a goal,

we got court out last season and looks like the same this season

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Despite the draw and horrible defending, I saw a lot of positive things out there. First of all, kudos to Ranieri for fielding Giovinco even though I was almost positive he wouldn't due to his comments and just by the way he manages the team. This kid single-handedly provided us with an exponential increase in ideas with the ball, opening up the Catania defense like nobody else could do except for Del Piero. But most of us who have seen the kid play knew he was capable of producing such exquisite moves. I find it imperative to our season that this kid plays quite frequently, because if so, we will not have to worry about creating chances.
Man, I remember first seeing Giovinco play at one of our last matches of the Serie B campaign when we had things locked up and all our Primavera squad practically took the pitch. I was like, "Who the f&^$ is this?!?" I still say that when he plays. :D

The worry is have we someone who will convert those chances:
I don't think we do.

I'd play Iq.
Where Trez is so painfully absent, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)