[Serie A] Juventus 2-0 Cagliari [November 21st, 2020] (1 Viewer)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015

we scored some similar goals in recent years, for example the second away goal against dortmund (morata scored from a tevez assist, marchisio's key pass was a beauty), or mandzukic's goal vs fiorentina in '16 (brilliant khedira-pogba-mandzu combination :tuttosport: ), and this one is a worthy sequel. gotta love these perfect possession play before a killer move types.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002

we scored some similar goals in recent years, for example the second away goal against dortmund (morata scored from a tevez assist, marchisio's key pass was a beauty), or mandzukic's goal vs fiorentina in '16 (brilliant khedira-pogba-mandzu combination :tuttosport: ), and this one is a worthy sequel. gotta love these perfect possession play before a killer move types.
I dont understand what is all that fuss about how many passes or who touched the ball.
The important thing is that the team functions in the right way.

Also I hope we raise our tempo later as I think we are playing too slowly upfront.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I dont understand what is all that fuss about how many passes or who touched the ball.
The important thing is that the team functions in the right way.
a well executed possession play is an indication of a well functioning team, especially if you intend to keep the ball. and pirlo does.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
a well executed possession play is an indication of a well functioning team, especially if you intend to keep the ball. and pirlo does.
I dont know.. I mean in 2017 we were playing some good football but I cant remember anyone counting our passes since no one made an issue out of it.

It is an indication but kind of a useless one as there is also the effectiveness issue which is very important as well.
There is one team who does it perfectly - Bayern Munich.
Liverpool are playing differently and I dont think anyone is counting their passes yet they are very effective when attacking which is way more important.

What I mean is - Everything is great until a certain degree and after that degree you are misusing it.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I dont know.. I mean in 2017 we were playing some good football but I cant remember anyone counting our passes since no one made an issue out of it.

It is an indication but kind of a useless one as there is also the effectiveness issue which is very important as well.
There is one team who does it perfectly - Bayern Munich.
Liverpool are playing differently and I dont think anyone is counting their passes yet they are very effective when attacking which is way more important.

What I mean is - Everything is great until a certain degree and after that degree you are misusing it.
Yep. It's a vanity metric. Not all situations call for tactics that feed those metrics.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Passing is good if you are using it to try to find openings, which is what I believe Pirlo is trying to do. We face a lot of teams, especially at home, where they put players behind the ball and passes become static, players become frustrated and start to dribble more, so you need to play with intensity and one touch, not two or three.

In the past we've been guilty of very slow and predictable possession, passing with no intensity or direction. There's nothing I can stand less. It's boring to watch and from a tactical perspective only protects the defenders.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Yep. It's a vanity metric. Not all situations call for tactics that feed those metrics.
it's not about the metric itself, it's about the succesful implementation of a tactical idea. the tweet talks about a certain number, forget it, just watch the video. i talk about a match situation where it was clear what pirlo is trying to do, and the team perfectly executed it. that's the point, not counting the passes. useless possession for the sake of it isn't my thing either, and if you remember those two goals i mentioned, you will see the similarities between these 3 situations.

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Missed match due to work but after LOTS of reading positives for me were Demiral's good play (eventually expected) Arthur's good play (hoping for but wasn't a certainty) and Berna's good play (just WOW that this guy had it him still).
:jflag:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
it's not about the metric itself, it's about the succesful implementation of a tactical idea. the tweet talks about a certain number, forget it, just watch the video. i talk about a match situation where it was clear what pirlo is trying to do, and the team perfectly executed it. that's the point, not counting the passes. useless possession for the sake of it isn't my thing either, and if you remember those two goals i mentioned, you will see the similarities between these 3 situations.
And the best thing is that most players love to play this way.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Many threats from corners compared to past: deLight, Demiral, Danilo?, Rabiot/Wes, Kulu/Wes, Ronaldo, Morata

Also maybe we won't go through periods of weak set piece defending like past eight years

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
What saddens me more is that we offered that has been bonbon a 5 year contract extension.

Romero should have been kept instead of him.

At this point he is just a slightly better version of rugani.
That's why that dynamic duo was a disaster.
Romero is looking really good at the moment too.

Jun 16, 2020
Passing is good if you are using it to try to find openings, which is what I believe Pirlo is trying to do. We face a lot of teams, especially at home, where they put players behind the ball and passes become static, players become frustrated and start to dribble more, so you need to play with intensity and one touch, not two or three.

In the past we've been guilty of very slow and predictable possession, passing with no intensity or direction. There's nothing I can stand less. It's boring to watch and from a tactical perspective only protects the defenders.
What surprised me about our passing game yesterday is that it was very horizontal, but with a lot of succes. Felt we were doing that more than in any other game. Besides that, we were very energetic and reactive against a inferior side. Dybala will fit nicely against teams that have a better midfield.

rainhard

May 5, 2004

I prefer we are going direct than this kind of possession. I don't care if everyone on the pitch touching the ball before the goal
It is better if we can go like De Ligt > Arthur > Chiesa > Ronaldo > GOAL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)