[Serie A] JUVENTUS 1-2 Lazio [October 14th 2017] (1 Viewer)

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #264
    Whatever happened in the final last year is haunting us.

Not sure how to fix it.

May 22, 2013
    Here are my thoughts about the game...

Not much to say on the first half, we were in control and played fairly well. We didn't create enough, and as i see it there were several causes adding to this. First, Lazios 3-5-2 really crowds the area in the middle of and in front of the box, so you need to be able to take advantage of the extra space on the wings, outnumbering their backs due to their lack of wingers to support. And having both Asamoah and Lichtsteiner playing, combined with Mandzukic who adds different things from a classic winger (and thus functions very well with a back who is strong in going forward, e.g. Alex Sandro) and a Douglas Costa who produces to little ment we did not create enough.

Second, and this amplifies the first point, we struggle with creating the play on midfield. Missing Pjanic is costly, his importance has risen after the sale of Bonucci. Really, we depend on our three main attacking outlets in setting the play, knitting it all together - Dybala, Pjanic and Alex Sandro. Missing all three ment the game was to slow and predictable. Bentancur is promising and played fairly well in the first half, but he is not really Pjanic-type of player, which became evident when he was paired with only Matuidi in a two man midfield, that does not create much and thus put a lot of responsibility on Dybala and the wings in setting the plays. Also, Bentancur is so young, and it is a lot to ask. When he got tired during the second half he started making lots of mistakes. Still, we creating a few chances and gave away very little, looking much in control in the first half.

Khedira was also solid in the first half, i am impressed with what he brings to our game. But he was not fit and it really showed close to his substitution. The midfield must really give Allegri some headaches, there is no room to alter the setup, since he just have to field whoever is fit at the moment.

You have to compliment Lazio for some really neat and dangerous counter attacks in the second half. They are underrated, probably lacks depth, but has a strong core and a competent coach. It is a shame we allow more space than usual, because they had the quality to make us pay for it. What i am most dissapointed about was how bad we were on the ball in the second half. Lazio clearly closed down the middle of the field, gave Higuain (and Dybala when he came on) and our wings little space when receiving the ball. That ment more space for Asamoah, Lichtsteiner and our central defense, who were forced to start plays. Clearly Lazio were fine with that. Not having Bonucci anymore means we need to have more playmaking from the wings and from Pjanic (or whoever plays in his position) and/or Dybala.

Higuain was really bad today. This is the first time i have been worried, because even if he didn't look really sharp so far this season, i think he added to our game by decent link up, intelligent runs, creating space for Dybala and the wings. Today everything he tried went wrong. Bad first touches, some bad decisions, a missed big chance. You have to tip your hat for his eagernes and the work he puts in to try and get back in. Almost gave us a goal from hard work, but off course it had to bounce off the crossbar. Look at the killer-instinct Insigne (just scored) and Mertens show at the moment in Napoli. Higuain used to have that, i hope he will find form soon. We need it badly.

I see a lot of complaints about substitutes. I struggle to see what Allegri should have done differently, if we assume Dybala, Alex Sandro and Cuadrado were tired from travelling (Bentancur showed signs of it in the second half). He had to sub off Khedira and thus had no choice but to let Bentancur play the full game (unless we should play a midfield of Matuidi and Sturaro... no, right?).

Subbing off DC was a fine decision and it seemed obvious to play Bernardeschi instead of a tired Cuadrado. If people are pissed about him using his last sub on right back when down by a goal, i just have to point out, that if Lichtsteiner was running out of gas, and with Lazio running soem fast and dangerous counters down that flank, leaving our right back exposed in 1 vs 1's against SMS or Alberto/Nani, you can argue that it was a necessity, even if it didn't add anything to our game going forward. Getting down 3-1 would have killed the game, but as long as it was 2-1 we were in it (though it looked like we could have played and extra half without scoring, sadly).

Maybe Dybala should have been brought earlier? Hard to say, really. Looking at how many difficulties he has with getting into the game, i am not sure 5 or 10 minutes would have changed much. Such a shame he missed that penalty, badly executed.

Allegri has a task of integrating DC and Bernardeschi, such things take time, but we are too dependent on the "five stars" (just as last season) until the new guys start adding more output to their game. It puts pressure on us that we lose a home game, now we probably need to get some wins in some difficult away games. But hey, games are sometimes lost, a shame it had to be like this, but going two years unbeaten at home is pretty impressive. Now on to a super important CL game, and then we have to must wins before a difficult away game at San Siro. The league will be entertaining this year.

May 26, 2016
    Higuain can be so frustrating at times.

I feel he has some sort of self imposing effect that further negates his performance with his attitude. He gets all negative/bitchy and starts complaining to the referee, while the real cause of all the problems is himself.

A shame and really annyoing to watch.

Other than that I strongly feel we badly missed Alex Sandro and Pjanic. Something in the midfield was off tonight, and asa , well, is not even close to Sandro.

We also have trouble dealing with pressure this season. I see us having a mental problem more than anything else.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Look, lets not exagerate, we were robbed of victory with Atalanta, a game we had but failed to secure, this ought to strenghten us and leave nothing to luck again, Allegri said that we must conteol those lapses.
    The NT brake happened at the worst possibke level, many if our players traveled continents away, lost focus on Napoli chase, some of them even got injuries or fatigue.
    We started the game strongly, we controlled the game and never let them to hope, ww even scored again!
    And then, they got a lucky vertical pass, Immobile made a wonderful sprint and shoot and managed to easily beat Buffon from a distance he is not usually beaten. 7 minutes later, another vertical pass, launched the same target man and he dived for the penalty, thats it, that was our breaking point. Our strugle, our focus, our efforts all wasted in those 7 minutes, like it happened with Atalanta. We never came back from it, some random individual efforts led to a penalty, Dybala was called to execute it, the man who lost the first penalty of his carrier and two points for us, that let Napoli steal our lead, and he lost the second penalty of his carrier to end our home undedeated streak and allow Napoli to consolidate their lead.
    We can debate that Max could have done some things differently with his starter picks, but it wouldnt matter much imo, the team we fielded had the quality that could dominate Lazio and that was proved before we scored. We underperformed after that.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #269
    Do any of the top 3 teams in Europe sub/rotate players as much as we do?

For example, after international break: are the big 3 or 4 clubs playing their top players or resting them?

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Do any of the top 3 teams in Europe sub/rotate players as much as we do?

For example, after international break: are the big 3 or 4 clubs playing their top players or resting them?
    No, but other big teams also don’t have such drastic changes in the team from year to year. Maybe Max is trying to see who’s up to snuff and if this is his time to experiment, I’m fine with it as long as the results come at the end of the season. And frankly, at this point I really don’t care about Serie A. We need CL.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #271
    No, but other big teams also don’t have such drastic changes in the team from year to year. Maybe Max is trying to see who’s up to snuff and if this is his time to experiment, I’m fine with it as long as the results come at the end of the season. And frankly, at this point I really don’t care about Serie A. We need CL.
    :tup:

But its not about the changes. My curiosity stems from whether or not other top clubs feel the need to rest their megastars as often as we do? They also play in 3 comps and have players that all play for the NTs too.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Not much to say on the first half, we were in control and played fairly well. We didn't create enough, and as i see it there were several causes adding to this. First, Lazios 3-5-2 really crowds the area in the middle of and in front of the box, so you need to be able to take advantage of the extra space on the wings, outnumbering their backs due to their lack of wingers to support. And having both Asamoah and Lichtsteiner playing, combined with Mandzukic who adds different things from a classic winger (and thus functions very well with a back who is strong in going forward, e.g. Alex Sandro) and a Douglas Costa who produces to little ment we did not create enough.

Second, and this amplifies the first point, we struggle with creating the play on midfield. Missing Pjanic is costly, his importance has risen after the sale of Bonucci. Really, we depend on our three main attacking outlets in setting the play, knitting it all together - Dybala, Pjanic and Alex Sandro. Missing all three ment the game was to slow and predictable. Bentancur is promising and played fairly well in the first half, but he is not really Pjanic-type of player, which became evident when he was paired with only Matuidi in a two man midfield, that does not create much and thus put a lot of responsibility on Dybala and the wings in setting the plays. Also, Bentancur is so young, and it is a lot to ask. When he got tired during the second half he started making lots of mistakes. Still, we creating a few chances and gave away very little, looking much in control in the first half.

Khedira was also solid in the first half, i am impressed with what he brings to our game. But he was not fit and it really showed close to his substitution. The midfield must really give Allegri some headaches, there is no room to alter the setup, since he just have to field whoever is fit at the moment.

You have to compliment Lazio for some really neat and dangerous counter attacks in the second half. They are underrated, probably lacks depth, but has a strong core and a competent coach. It is a shame we allow more space than usual, because they had the quality to make us pay for it. What i am most dissapointed about was how bad we were on the ball in the second half. Lazio clearly closed down the middle of the field, gave Higuain (and Dybala when he came on) and our wings little space when receiving the ball. That ment more space for Asamoah, Lichtsteiner and our central defense, who were forced to start plays. Clearly Lazio were fine with that. Not having Bonucci anymore means we need to have more playmaking from the wings and from Pjanic (or whoever plays in his position) and/or Dybala.

Higuain was really bad today. This is the first time i have been worried, because even if he didn't look really sharp so far this season, i think he added to our game by decent link up, intelligent runs, creating space for Dybala and the wings. Today everything he tried went wrong. Bad first touches, some bad decisions, a missed big chance. You have to tip your hat for his eagernes and the work he puts in to try and get back in. Almost gave us a goal from hard work, but off course it had to bounce off the crossbar. Look at the killer-instinct Insigne (just scored) and Mertens show at the moment in Napoli. Higuain used to have that, i hope he will find form soon. We need it badly.

I see a lot of complaints about substitutes. I struggle to see what Allegri should have done differently, if we assume Dybala, Alex Sandro and Cuadrado were tired from travelling (Bentancur showed signs of it in the second half). He had to sub off Khedira and thus had no choice but to let Bentancur play the full game (unless we should play a midfield of Matuidi and Sturaro... no, right?).

Subbing off DC was a fine decision and it seemed obvious to play Bernardeschi instead of a tired Cuadrado. If people are pissed about him using his last sub on right back when down by a goal, i just have to point out, that if Lichtsteiner was running out of gas, and with Lazio running soem fast and dangerous counters down that flank, leaving our right back exposed in 1 vs 1's against SMS or Alberto/Nani, you can argue that it was a necessity, even if it didn't add anything to our game going forward. Getting down 3-1 would have killed the game, but as long as it was 2-1 we were in it (though it looked like we could have played and extra half without scoring, sadly).

Maybe Dybala should have been brought earlier? Hard to say, really. Looking at how many difficulties he has with getting into the game, i am not sure 5 or 10 minutes would have changed much. Such a shame he missed that penalty, badly executed.

Allegri has a task of integrating DC and Bernardeschi, such things take time, but we are too dependent on the "five stars" (just as last season) until the new guys start adding more output to their game. It puts pressure on us that we lose a home game, now we probably need to get some wins in some difficult away games. But hey, games are sometimes lost, a shame it had to be like this, but going two years unbeaten at home is pretty impressive. Now on to a super important CL game, and then we have to must wins before a difficult away game at San Siro. The league will be entertaining this year.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Impotent performance. Predictable and quite easy to contain when Asamoah is your focus poibt. At least it's Lazio. Wednesday is all that counts.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
    Just finished watching this, as I couldn't follow the game live.

What the hell did I just watch?

Congrats to Lazio, though, on a well played and well fought game

Nomuken

NUMB
    Contributor
    Dec 14, 2009

May 22, 2013

But its not about the changes. My curiosity stems from whether or not other top clubs feel the need to rest their megastars as often as we do? They also play in 3 comps and have players that all play for the NTs too.
    Last season i believe Real rotated quite a bit. It also depends on the specific player, some has the physicality to play most games, others need more rest if they have to be on top of their game throughout the season. When asked, one of the main things Real players pointed to in why they were so succesful in the big games last season was the fact, that they felt fit and well rested, even in the latter stage of the season they weren't worn out.

I also remember the triple winning Bayern as a team that was dominant in all the big games. They enjoyed a lot of easy games in the Bundesliga, which is less competitive (especially the sub top and mid table teams) than the Spanish, English and imo also the Italian league, and was thus able to have their key players ready for all the big games.

This also depends on injuries of course...

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    Pathetic performance, even when chasing the game we created very little and resorted to sideways passes. Lazio deserved their win, they were very composed and well organized.

For some reason the players walked out at half time looking dejected. What is going on in these half time team talks?

Our team seems to have serious mental weaknesses and has too many cracks that we can't hide.

Papi-a

May 9, 2006
    First i want to say we did not deserve to loose this game, we are wasting absurd chances in this match.

That beeing said, we clealy have problems that needs to fixed.

Our biggest problem is we are not solid in defence, not only our defenders but as s unit. Giving away that many counter attacks even When in front is so unlike us, had we played a team with more quality it could have been ugly! We looked like a Premier league side today, brainless!

Next problem is our central midfield. Pjanic is for sure our most important player, even more than Dybala. He dictate the game and has leaned to protect our defence , matuidi is not that type and bentacur Will learn When gaining experience.

Final problem is When you we buy Douglas Costa you know What you get.
    He is useless if we dont set him up properly , i cant Seem to understand we are so bad at getting him in positions Where he face a defender one on one. Its his fault and the the whole team - if he dont get the ball in theese situations there is No need for him!

Final say. WTF has happened to Lichsteiner? I knew alves was a level above , but seriously Lichsteiners level as footballer right now is not even Spal level.

Hes passing is Perhaps the worse in all serie a. Rb in january is a must!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Another issue is that we have 4 or 5 players that are past it or simeply not juve level...and are getting too many minutes. Thats a real problem.

Add to that Mandz, Higuains bad form... and then add the lot of money we fuked up in buying Costa.

This will not end well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)