[Serie A] Juventus 1-2 Catania, Dec 20th, 2009 (36 Viewers)

Mar 28, 2007
icεmαή;2273813 said:
Its worrying that we have had only 5 clean sheets in 16 league games so far. Hopefully Manninger will solve this like he did last season. Our defense seems to go to sleep when Buffon is in goal, expecting him to save their asses all the time. When Manninger is in goal, they seem to be a little bit more careful.
our defences took buffon for granted imo.. with manninger.. i hope they perform well.. :agree:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
You cannot base your main formation on that the same players play all games. We don't have the squad to play 4-2-3-1 but we do have the squad to play 4-3-1-2. For a formation to be effective the team has to adapt well to it. And the team cannot depend on 4-2-3-1 because if one of the 3 players is not around (a.k.a camoranesi at the moment) this formation becomes useless. While in 4-3-1-2 the "1" position can be occupied by 4 of our players (maybe not effectively similar but at least they can get he job done if the main player, a.k.a, is not available). In addition we have so many DM/CMs not to use. Tiago, Sissoko, Melo, Poulsen, Marchisio along with De Cegli who can play as an LM.

More over, with 4-2-3-1 you are saying Del Piero will never play in his position. Call me a biased, but Del Piero is one of our strongest assets in the squad and you just want to leave him out? Maybe he is off form because he hasn't played for such a long time, but still, once he's back he is our best player.

It's not like I'm not aware of everything you said, but it doesn't stop me from wondering if a 4-2-3-1 would provide that bit more creativity and a new spark, like it did when we first tried it. Diego and Melo definitely perform better in that formation, and they're both key players.

I can't be more clear about how unlikely it is that we'll swap to that formation though, saying that we don't have the players unless we play primavera players and that I don't want to just switch and bench Del Piero for the rest of the season, than in that post. I've even literally said it.

I think we might be missing eachothers points.

I'm just really curious to see if our football would improve, like it did back then. Try it out for 1 half for all I care, I just want to see it again. I'm not arguing that we have a better roster for a 4-3-1-2 at this moment, or that Ale is God. :D

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
It's our last game of the year and the possibility of being behind Inter by 3pts is there. Without Camo, we will definitely play a 4 3 1 2, but in my IMO we should go with a 4 3 2 1 with Giovinco and Diego. I honestly believe that Giovinco is our key to some kind of success this season.

Italia Todd

Dec 15, 2009
I would love to see the 4-3-2-1 with Diego and Giovinco playing off of Trez, but I don't expect it at all. We have to have enough to take these guys out though, I mean it's just Catania. Please don't send us into the winter break with a loss to these jokers ...

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Stop dreaming about Giovinco, never going to happen. Even with this midfield crisis he's sticking with the 3 man midfield.

Salihamdzic - Melo - Poulsen

Diego

Uhhh Sexy times.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
icεmαή;2273813 said:
Its worrying that we have had only 5 clean sheets in 16 league games so far. Hopefully Manninger will solve this like he did last season. Our defense seems to go to sleep when Buffon is in goal, expecting him to save their asses all the time. When Manninger is in goal, they seem to be a little bit more careful.
This is because manninger is a raving lunatic, iceman...Constantly shouting at the defence 'encouragement' and 'advise' such as

'clear the ball you shit eating Kunt, before i gouge out your eyes with my dik'
and
'Push up, Giorgio, or am i going to have to skullfuk you???'
and his favourite warcry...
'BANZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' squealed at high pitch whenever he tries to claim the ball in the air.

Some players react well to such an enthusiastic approach.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Oh, I forgot he played right midfielder, lol, this midfield esclipses the above: Sali-Almiron-Tiago-Nocerino.

Marchionni can atleast be passable as winger at times, Tiago, especially back then, was real wtf ghost.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I am trying to look at everything from the most positive side lol, maybe the return of Manninger will bring us luck (not that is our problem lol). He were getting very good results with him under the posts :) ..

Forza Manninger..

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
Club Focus - Juventus - Deliver us from disgrace

By Mina Rzouki

Now back in the good old days, matches against the likes of Catania were relished as they were considered three easy points. However, with the fear of mortification - a new sensation Ciro Ferrara has introduced to Turin - easy games no longer exist. Every match will be considered as another opportunity to further humiliate a club so fearful of tarnishing the winning reputation they hold so dear.

Considering the current crisis Juventus is facing coupled with the vast amounts of injuries they have to contend with, it’s difficult to see how they are going to conjure up a win on Sunday. You have to wonder about the credentials of the medics who not only embarrassed Juventus with the whole Fabio Cannavaro and his bee sting debacle but have now drawn criticism for their recent handling of Mauro Camoranesi’s injury. Practically every squad member has been sidelined this season and many have taken months to return to action. Ferrara though must be secretly happy that not even his staunchest critics can now call for the 4-2-3-1 formation without the ever technical Camo on the right wing. As such, Ciro will probably opt for the 4-3-1-2 formation this weekend which perhaps might work a little better this weekend considering there’s an actual defensive midfielder available - Felipe Melo.

Despite the criticism Melo has suffered, he really is one of the greatest defensive players but has been poorly handled by Ferrara since his arrival in Turin. Melo’s worst habit is his tendency to surge ahead and leave the defence fending for itself - a habit he can get away with when playing for Brazil as he has Gilberto Silva to do all the dirty work for him. However the man is an artist at tackling and stifling the opposition. As such, it’s Ferrara’s responsibility to step up as Coach and force the midfielder into remaining put in his own half and providing the necessary cover the defence needs to allow for the attacking half of the squad to push up. Should his instructions not be adhered to then punishments must be dished out. Melo has already proved that he cannot be the registra Juve required so he should at least attempt to provide the cover the Old Lady so desperately needs at the back in the absence of Momo Sissoko.

What Ferrara really needs to work on for this game are those two midfielders that will sit just ahead of Melo on the wings. These two will have to do all the running and provide the needed link from defence to attack. Tiago Mendes will now surely be given a chance since Christian Poulsen is suspended for the match but it would be interesting if Hasan Salihamidzic was fielded instead. He may not possess Tiago’s technique but his bullish attitude will certainly scare off his opponents and his defensive capabilities will come to good use should Melo require back-up. The only problem Ferrara will have is deciding who to play alongside David Trezeguet. Alessandro Del Piero and Amauri have already proved their wretched form thus far into the campaign so would it not be an interesting idea to play Sebastian Giovinco as secunda punta? The boy marvelled at the top alongside Amauri in the match against Real Madrid in the Peace Cup and by playing so far up, he can exploit his best assets without allowing defensive duties to hinder his performance.

Unless Ferrara finds a viable solution to the Giovinco debate, it’s difficult to predict how much longer the Old Lady can keep hold of her prized asset. Rumours of possible moves to the Premier League are now a daily recurrence and Seba’s agent was forced to deny reports of a swap deal that would involve trading the youngster for Aleksandar Kolarov in the transfer market. The Atomic Ant was voted Man of the Match by numerous websites after the Real Madrid match so surely Ferrara can take a gamble on the starlet against rock bottom Catania?

Speaking of the upcoming transfer market, it appears the Bianconeri will be active having watched their squad plunge into darkness. Obviously, the defence which has conceded seven goals in the last two games should be the chosen area to bolster and yet most of Juve’s interesting targets involve midfielders. Fernando Gago of Real Madrid and Maxi Rodriguez are two interesting options. Gago would fit perfectly in Serie A and is known for his ability to link up play with his pace and slide rule passes. However, he has been known to be rather inconsistent so most would favour a loan deal. As for Rodriguez, he would be the ideal replacement for Camoranesi. He already has a similar mentality to Juve players in the sense that he never gives up and will give his all until the final whistle. He is speedy down the wings and can play on either flank and has a great shot. Many critics already believe he can add a whole new dimension to Juve’s attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)