[SERIE A] Fiorentina - Juventus (31st August, 2008) (59 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Guys WTF with you?? Only coz Amauri isnt so famous as DP or Trez we shouldnt give him good marks only coz he WAS on field... What he did today???
He did 10 times more than Del Piero.
He wasn't good but he wasn't bad. Del Piero on the other hand was awful.

We're not giving Amauri high rankings because he's new, it's you who gives Del Piero higher rating than he deserves because he's your idol.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Actually, I just saw some other highlights.

Mellberg looked poor in them. Piss poor.

He has looked better for Villa but seriously, he's nothing special nor improved our squad. We needed somebody better than him.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
i'll go to bed tonight like a kid on christmas eve but wake up to find no presents :sad:
:cry:

it's too late to cry about the mercato but we should have defenatly go for a defender (zapata or at least for a fullback vargas)

and than buy a good midfielder vdv or so... but than again we cash out for amauri and still have the biggest problems at the back...

Jul 29, 2008
He did 10 times more than Del Piero.
He wasn't good but he wasn't bad. Del Piero on the other hand was awful.

We're not giving Amauri high rankings because he's new, it's you who gives Del Piero higher rating than he deserves because he's your idol.
Dont lie man... in my review i gave DP "not good" with Mellberg.. Where i gave DP highest ratings???

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Actually, I just saw some other highlights.

Mellberg looked poor in them. Piss poor.

He has looked better for Villa but seriously, he's nothing special nor improved our squad. We needed somebody better than him.
actually he wasn't THAT bad, IMO...got owned in the Gila's goal situation, but overall he was steady

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Mellberg looked like Criscito vs Totti.

Secco!!!
He can't hear you. He's locked in the trunk of a Fiat Punto.

I was only able to watch the second half, but here's what I can gather. The positives, albeit few, were that no one got overly frustrated with the official, despite losing every 50/50 call and even calls that should have been in Juventus' favour. Another would have to be that there were no injuries to anybody in the team, because everybody knows that no one is going to come in tomorrow regardless of the growing need for reinforcements in certain positions.

Now for the negatives. Why did Ranieri insist on keeping Del Piero and Amauri on for that period of time if they weren't doing anything? You have Iaquinta and Giovinco on the bench for a reason, and many coaches would consider that a luxury. They are there to be used. In addition to that, why did everyone seem to settle for a one-goal lead? I've heard this story before and it usually ends in tears. If you don't have the defence to defend a one-goal lead, then push for a cushion...especially when you have what is arguably the best attack in Serie A. Capello had the strong defenders to pull those tactics off. Juventus played hard today, but really, you can't win anything by being an "88-minute warrior".

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
First match, first blame is placed on Ranieri for the loss of two points. The match was in our grasps and we could have won provided that the right substitutions were made, but like usual, they were not made. While I cannot stand Molinaro on our left flank, subbing this player at 70 minutes is not a logical thing to do. He's a player that can run, one who doesn't get tired, so subbing him instead of Nedved or Del Piero is just simply foolish. Iaquinta for Camoranesi is a very strange and bold thing to do while leading 1-0 at 80 minutes, and it turned out to be a mistake as we needed another player in midfield and someone who could hold the ball to take time off the clock. That was the move. But Ranieri, in his typical foolishness from last season, didn't see the obvious problem out there. Which is why people such as myself doubt him as a manager. And rightfully so.

I saw promising football in the first half, but as I said during halftime, we would not be able to keep our offensive movement going for the whole second half. That's why we needed subs about 60 minutes in. Viola had more and more of the ball, and our fullbacks were not doing the best of jobs closing down flank players, especially when Jovetic came in. What should have been done was either Nedved or Alex subbed 60 minutes in and brought on Salihamidzic and Giovinco, a weighted couple of switches that would cause Viola problems and Hasan would have added the grit to secure hopefully secure the win.

When people have concerns about the defense, they should not be taken lightly or joked around with. The concerns from people such as myself are our opinions; they are facets of our club which we could have protected against. Signing a classy partner for Chiellini and upgrade to Molinaro were important matters over the summer, yet we did not address them and we are already feeling the effects of it even in the first match. Mellberg was completely and utterly owned by Gilardino. I'm willing to give him more chances though, but he needs to change my overall opinion on him. Same with other individuals.

The result was not poor per se, but we really should have won the match. The best football clubs secure and win those matches, not dropping points, especially in a situation such as this. We need to do a better job winning matches we should win, closing out results and not dropping points if we want to challenge for top honors. We are capable of better than this today, so we need to improve quickly.

Buffon - Made some good saves multiple times, like usual. 7

Grygera - Slotted the cross home for Nedved's goal but at the back he's too much of a liability. Zebina makes less errors than him without a doubt. 5

Mellberg - Made a few big errors, especially against Gilardino, so he needs to shape up quickly. While he did make a few good tackles/headers, more performances such as this will make it apparent why nobody from the top Prem teams wanted him. 5

Legrottaglie - Did not made that many mistakes at the back and was good in the first half. 6

Molinaro - Comedy as usual but didn't commit any fatal mistakes like he did in some friendlies. 5.5

Camoranesi - Very active, full of running, switching positions, which is what I like to see from this player. But he didn't have the best of matches. 6

Marchisio - Solid in the midfield and impressive. I think he needs to get more involved with the attack, however, and improve his passing. 6

Poulsen - Very solid in midfield and even played some good balls to various players. 7

Nedved - Good goal and good running like usual, but he needed a sub. 6.5

Amauri - Beast of a player, but sometimes I think he tries too hard to score. I hope he can put the ball in the net soon so he isn't labeled as a flop by the retarded Italian media. 6.5

Del Piero - Wasn't himself today. Should have scored the breakaway. Looked unfit after halftime. I hope he hasn't lost his spark from last season because it was crucial to our game. 5.5

De Ceglie - Didn't really impress when he came on but that would have been hard to do at that point in the game. Start him over Molinaro next match without a doubt, please. 5.5

Iaquinta - Didn't do much. 5

Ranieri - The Substitution dilemma is once again our problem. It's almost as if he never learns. Wrong substitutions is the reason why we lost 2 points, and that is the fault of Ranieri whether people like it or not. 3.5
I fully agree! Sums up nearly everything. I just think, that with Chiellini in there we wouldn't talk about buying a class partner for him. Legro played a good game and with Chiellini next to him, he would have been even better I guess.

I am just sad, when I think about what Chiellini would have done with Gilardino...... :(

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Giovinco was the ideal substitution for this game and I cant bealieve that Ranieri didnt saw that.

I know this is the first game of the season, and I dont want to sound alarmist, but if this is what Ranieri plans with Giovinco, I will not blame him for ask a loan/sell in January

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
actually he wasn't THAT bad, IMO...got owned in the Gila's goal situation, but overall he was steady
Gilardino isn't Del Piero, or Pato, or Rocchi with the ball at his feet. With back towards goal, the defender needs to block that shot with a tackle but Mellberg isn't quick enough.

Welcome to Serie A I suppose.

di_vladi

Jul 11, 2006
I really don't understand most of the comments. I liked the game. Here's what I think:
Buffon - He was solid, as usual. Nothing he could have done about the goal.
Grygera - He had a decent game. He set up Nedved for the goal and had a few other good combinations with Camoranesi. He was OK in defense. That said, I still think he is a mediocre player.
Molinaro - Mediocre at best.
Melberg - He is a good defender and he played well. He made two mistakes against Gilardino, but let's not forget that we have Chiellini. I think he would be a great back up DC.
Legrottaglie - I think he had a great. I liked him very much, especially when he closed down Gilardino in the second half. Chiellini - Legro partnership will be good I think.
Marchisio - Not bad, but I don't think that's enough for a team like Juve. Can't see him in the 1st 11 if all players are fit.
Poulsen - He was OK and despite all the bad comments about him, I think he'll turn out to be an excellent asset. I though he was something of a Gattuso player, but he seems to pass well, too. Reminds me of Tacchinardi. Not as good as him, but still our best DM.
Camoranesi - He is one of our best players, so one would expect more from him.
Nedved - Even at 36 still very good.
Amauri - I expected more from him. The only really good move was when he shot 2 min from time. Missed a good opportunity in the first half.
De Ceglie - I really, really hope he would play well so we can play him instead of Molinaro, but tonight he was even worse than Molinaro. I hope he'll improve.
and that brings us to..
Alex - I can't understand all those negative comments about him. He had a good first half in my opinion. Yes, he missed a great chance, but lets not forget he created it. Apart from that he gave several really good passes and created 2-3 opportunities for us, unfortunately all missed. His second half performance was bad, though. Held up the ball far too much.

I liked how Juve looked tonight, especially in defense. In my opinion we outclassed them and deserved the 3 points. The second half they had the initiative, but apart from the 2 individual displays by Gila did they really have any chances? I don't think so.
What actually concerned me were the sibstitutions. Ranieri really should have subbed Ale in the second half. He ran out of fuel. But most importantly, IAQUINTA for CAMORANESI in 89th minute???? What was he thinking. I was still laughing at that sub when they scored and then I was more like crying. I really have absolutely no explanation. Maybe if we had another tall defensive player in the box ( i don't know the other unused subs) we would not have let a goal in.
Anyway, I am disappointed, but lets not forget that all the big teams lost points and we had the most difficult game and we made a good display. We are definitely title contenders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 58)