[Serie A] AS Roma vs Juventus (21 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Very flattering result for us, however all that matters to me for this match is beating the Romanisti. The match itself was probably a snorefest for the neutral spectator and I don't think there is a matchup in Serie A that produces more fouls in a single match. I really do not like the way we played, however, and a result like this will only make Capello more complacent despite obvious problems in our sqaud.

In the first half we were really pathetic, along with Roma, and neither team was able to sustain any pressure and look convincing. Neither club was able to own the midfield and the first 45 was dominated by fouls galore all over the pitchm just as usual...it's hard to form any sort of rhythm when every time an advantage is gained the opposition takes your legs out. But still our passing was terrible and our forwards must have only touched the ball a few times, mostly Ibrahimovic who just gave it away easily with more terrible passes coming from his boots. Roma actually created more than we did and made our defense look shakey for parts of the first half...we were lucky we recieved one half chance that Nedved was able to put away. Can't say we deserved the lead at halftime.

Second half we were much more convincing and limited Roma to only a couple chances. The goals basically came out of nowhere and it was just supurb individual play by Ibrahimovic who flicked the ball over the head of Kuffour into space and just outhuslted and out muscled the Ghanian to give us our second. After that Roma seemingly gave up and Trezeguet scored some cheap but important goals. We really didn't do anything brilliant but for some reason kept receiving chances and put them away easily...has more to do with Roma's inept defending though. Thuram was then sent off for a nonexistent foul on Montella in which the latter tripped over the ground...saw the red coming from a mile away though and who says we always receive the calls. Perhaps if Roma did not give up and played a bit more smart at the back throughout the match they would have a different result to deal with, however in reality we deserved to win despite another lackluster performance.

As I said our defense was rather shakey in the first half however in the second we were a bit more solid even though Thuram was sent off. Our midfield was not very good tonight as a cohesive unit, however we still shut down Totti and I have to say Emerson was probably our man of the match...best match I have seen from him in quite a while. When our forwards actually received the ball they did some damage and that is certainly good to see because we cant have them wasting chances with the amount of service they get from midfield, which was certainly not much today.

Abbiati was actually solid tonight and made a couple nice saves.

Zambrotta was average and his right-back role just holds him back from going forward...this is not what I like to see. When he plays on the left Zambro is able to attack down the flank much more, while at right-back he has to stay at home more due to Camoranesi. This is a problem point for me.

Thuram was particulary shakey in the first half however made a couple crucial tackles.

Cannavaro played very well and made some great tackles and interceptions, especially the pass from Taddei that was going to a wide open goal-bound Totti.

Chiellini was average defensively however made some decent runs going forward. The only thing I like about Chiellini is that he usually makes decent passes up the wing. Still needs to improve greatly.

Camoranesi was very good tonight and every time he ran at that joke of a player Cufre he was fouled because they just couldn't contain him.

Emerson was my man of the match because he shut down the midfield and looked very sharpe with the ball at his feet. His passing tonight was also very good and he didn't give the ball away too easily.

Vieira was average compared to what we have seen in the past. Still played decent though.

Nedved was average again tonight despite scoring a very important goal. However, he certainly has regained a bit of form which is good to see.

Trezeguet might have touched the ball five times and two were touches past Doni. Still the most natural finisher in the game.

Ibrahimovic had a uneventful first half however picked his play up in the second and scored a brilliant goal.

Kovac came on for Trezeguet when Lilian was sent off and was pretty solid. Sometimes I think we should field Kovac instead of the Frenchman..

Del Piero and Mutu came on late and could not do much as we packed it in with ten men.

When Ibrahimovic said playing Roma is like playing Ascoli, I guess he was right on this occasion..

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Gino Genesio said:
Offcourse ;)

they won againts milan but the viola fans still hate's us because we are the best and they are the same as roma (fans)

Forza juventus Amici di Nessuno !!!!

viola viola va fang.... but thanks for:weee: the win anyway

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Forza Toni! How'd this guy get stuck in B two years ago?

With an 8-game win streak, Milan was at least as primed as we were before facing Milan for a real let down. And I expected an away game at the Stadio Franchi to be just the ticket.

But back to this thread's topic, here's an edited version of what I posted on Xtratime while we were having downtime.

----​

I think Capello had a great strategic plan going into the game. Roma clearly wanted to get tough and physical and come out to start the match swinging. Capello's tactics were to frustrate Roma by not allowing them to convert any of their first-half aggressiveness and wishful thinking to turn up anything -- not to give them any reason to get their hopes up. Then wait for the mistakes to roll in, and they were going to, and to cash in the chips. This Roma squad is one of the weakest I've seen in years, so it was only going to be a matter of time for them to quickly realize that the things they used to be able to do a couple years ago are no longer possible.

So the key going in was to be patient and to be cautious not to make defensive mistakes... waiting for our openings to capitalize on Romanista errors. And the game played right into that strategy.

This was a match about butting Roma head-to-head with their initial surge to try to dominate the game and get an upper hand. Juve held their ground and didn't give in to Roma's tough challenges and pressing to break up any flow. And as the time wore on, I expected Roma to be the team that was bound to get more tired and to make more mistakes... to grow impatient with the deadlock.

Forza Zlatan for his brilliant goal, because that really broke the back of this match. After that, Roma was too dazed and confused -- Juve had outlasted their head-to-head attempts at physical play and were up 2-0. The pressure then was on Roma to change tactics to make something happen, and by then they were simply lost and prone for the kill.

Paparesta: what was up with some of those yellow card decisions?! (Forget the red for a moment.)

Abbiati: I thought Abbiati had a fantastic match. He did everything we needed him to do, and he threw himself, life and limb, into the physical play with little concern for his own well-being. Sure, my expectations are lower compared with Buffon. But this was as good a match as I can expect from a Juve second stringer in goal. 7

Zambro: had some good crosses today, though. Agreed that he seems to be having some challenges in adjusting to the right flank. But His play was pretty crisp for the most part. 6

Thuram 6
Cannavaro 6.5

Chiellini: I thought he was adequate on defense, but offensively he continues to make bad passes up the pitch and turn the ball over in situations that aren't all that tight. There are a good 7 other players on the pitch I would rather see upfield with the ball than Chiellini. I'd give him a 5.5

Camo: put in some good crosses and took smart fouls most of the game. I can't fault him for his play at moving the ball because there were so many disruptions in the flow given the hard tackling and fouling. 6

Emerson: was pretty solid in breaking things up. Up there for MOM, but not my top pick this time, as you shall see... I'd give him a 7

Vieira: lived up to expectations, which is no small feat. 6.5. Going to miss him in the next match though.

Nedved: Here's my surprise... Nedved was my MOM, however. He was crucial at fighting for balls in midfield and chipping out passes in a claustrophobic midfield to keep Juve in possession and to create many of the opportunities in the second half. If you look at all the goals we scored tonight, I believe he played a key role in all but Zlatan's (edit: it was two of the goals, not 4, but he was he real offensive playmaking presence for us in this match that we so infrequently have). 7.5

Trez: did everything we needed of him. Poach those goals when the ball comes his way. Brilliant stuff. What a fantastic role player to have. 7

Zlatan: had his struggles, but he deserves props for almost singlehandedly blowing this game open. 6.5

Re: Zlatan's comment about Roma being like Ascoli...

Given that Roma took injury time to beat Ascoli last time, and given that Roma managed to fall apart recently against a 10-man Empoli and a 10-man Siena, a 10-man Juve was not going to make the equation any easier for them.

And for the strategy, while conservative and unpopular with fans, I have to give Capello a 7 for. I would have done things exactly as he did in preparation for this match, and Roma fell right into those plans. Controvertial, yes, because you generally don't give 7s to birds for flying or to fish for swimming. The problem with Capello is in using match strategies other than this kind. But you have to use the right tool for the job, and this was the right tool. The scoreline proves it.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Gino Genesio said:
thats what i mean :weee:

ps : is the site slower than before?
ore is it my pc?
somehow I feel it is slower.. but may be it need a bit of time to be perfekt.
did you see that fiorentina-milan match? was the win deserved?

Gino Genesio

Nov 14, 2004
Maresca said:
somehow I feel it is slower.. but may be it need a bit of time to be perfekt.
did you see that fiorentina-milan match? was the win deserved?
nope dident see the game but i am gowing to watch the highlights on raiuno in 30min ;)

ps toni have 15goals scored???? :eek:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
agree with swaq,Neddy had a great game,he prooved he isnt finished
and its not only about his goal,
he was active both in defence and offence,
he started the engines of Juventus,
the only thing stopped him a bit,was Paparesta's yellow card.
Emo and Camo had good games too and helped us a lot,
esp when the rest of the team had some... unfocused periods

Tino

Il Tedesco
Feb 1, 2005
archaon said:
i bet on tottenham, middesbrough, inter, cheivo, reggina, empoli, fiorentina, hamburger :weee:

what do u think
Yes I bet to on tottenham...
90+2 and 20 seconds: corner---Ferdinand---goal!:confused: :sick: :money:

Toni is just awesome, and my father is surprised!:agree:

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Gino Genesio said:
nope dident see the game but i am gowing to watch the highlights on raiuno in 30min ;)

ps toni have 15goals scored???? :eek:

yeah, toni has really a fantastic run. Trez must do hard to get him.
does Rai uno still show novantesimo Minuto?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Originally Posted by swag
Somewhat to the contrary, I think Capello had a great strategic plan going into the game. Roma clearly wanted to get tough and physical and come out to start the match swinging. Capello's tactics were to play a bit of Muhammad Ali rope-a-dope on the ropes to absorb any serious attempts at body blows.
But this great strategic plan is the same strategic plan every match...first and foremost make sure the defense is secure and just stroll along making passes around the pitch with no change in pace and urgency. From what I see this is the same gameplan every match, however against a Roma side that is very poor defensively the goals will of course eventually come. Capello's tactics suit matches such as this perfectly, however you know my feelings on this subject.

Quote:
I don't think we did anything different to be more convincing in the second half that we weren't already trying to do in the first. I really didn't see a tactical adjustment made at the half, and Capello was patient even with his subs despite the fast and loose yellow cards Paparesta was dishing out against his squad.
True. We did not change tactics at all and in reality we didn't need to with the lead. The reason why I said we looked a bit more convincing was because we finally were making more of a breakthrough going forward and did not make as many mistakes in our own half.

Quote:
I thought he was adequate on defense, but I had the exact opposite reaction than you. Offensively he continues to make bad passes up the pitch and turn the ball over in situations that aren't all that tight. There are a good 7 other players on the pitch I would rather see upfield with the ball than Chiellini. I'd give him a 5.5
Well I guess we just view things differently. The passes I saw Chiellini make up the pitch were pretty much spot on apart from a couple, and instead of just passing the ball back like Zambrotta does he plays it up the wing to our forwards decently. But yeah I still obviously prefer Zambrotta on the left...if only we had a decent rightback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)