Serie A and Europe (1 Viewer)

sagym

Mar 2, 2006
Why do you think that Juve is so successful in the Serie A (28 scudettos) and not so successful in the European Cups ?
How come that they can beat almost all the Italian teams with ease and find it so difficult to win agains minor european clubs? :confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
sagym

sagym

Mar 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #3
    I find it a really hard question and hoped that you could find the answer.

I can think of several reasons but I dont know their relevancy:
    1. The players are good enough to win in the league but not good enough to win in european cups.
    2. The team has no proper preparation for the games because of underestimation.
    3. Teams in Italy afraid of Juve and outside of Italy it's not the situation.

What do you think?

Mozart

F*ck the media
    Feb 3, 2006
    in the league..its all about consistenty...you have to prove you are the champion 34 times...while in the CL...luck must be in your side...juve being in the final 3 times
    in the last deacde and losing them...explains our luck i guess...

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Juve hasn't been designed well for the elimination tournament whereas we rise to the top when the competition is long and gruelling.

To look at it another way, why is it that clubs like FC Porto and Liverpool are winning the CL lately instead of the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, Milan, etc.?

OP
    sagym

sagym

Mar 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #6
    swag said:
    To look at it another way, why is it that clubs like FC Porto and Liverpool are winning the CL lately instead of the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, Milan, etc.?
    Are you saying that those teams have been designed to win the CL ? In what way ?

Joaco

the cronopio
    Dec 11, 2005
    The "urban myth" (or the "football myth") says some teams are from "home championship" and some are "cup-teams".

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
    Black&White. said:
    The "urban myth" (or the "football myth") says some teams are from "home championship" and some are "cup-teams".
    That could be true. But perhaps smaller teams like Porto have the advantage that big teams are not so motivated against them but everybody gives 200% when he plays against Juventus.
    You need a lot of Luck to win the Champions League. One bad game and that`s it.

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
    the main problem is that Juve as an italian team like to defend and closeing gapes and compact playing is what we do, that's why we win in Seria A but in the CL we can do the same at home and win witha 1-0 but when we play away and defend for 90 min we will conced a goal.
    but i think the main factor is luck, especially in penalties and we really suck at that.

loyada

Feb 6, 2005
    since the CL formulae (involving a group phase) began 1992, juve won once , that is fair since most of big teams won once (bayern,ManU,barca,ajax all dominants in their domestic league) some others big teams never got to the finals(like arsenal) only milan and real won more in this period.
    But juve also lost 3 finals so milan too.

Sep 28, 2002
    i think the whole thing of juventus underperforming is bollocks. so what if we got only 2 cups and milan have 6. we still played in 7 finals compared to milans 10. not to mention that 5 of those finals were in years from 89 to 95, when milan were clearly the best team in europe and pretty much there was no competition for them. apart from that juves and milans european performances are quite equal therefore i say that milan's dominance to juventus in europe is a myth, they have just been more effective in the finals and had one era which cannot be matched by any other team except for real in 50s.

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
    After three lost finals in a row we just have to win the Champions League soon. We could have much more CL titles but we just were not lucky against Milan and Real and Dortmund somehow surprised us.

Jul 12, 2002
    Juve are not as dominant in Europe because we don't control UEFA like we control the Serie A. We can't use our mob tactics against all of Europe, so we have to rely on our strength as a football team, and thus we are a European threat, but not dominant.

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
    Aug 12, 2005
    Mozart said:
    in the league..its all about consistenty...you have to prove you are the champion 34 times...while in the CL...luck must be in your side...juve being in the final 3 times
    in the last deacde and losing them...explains our luck i guess...
    Exactly. Which is why I like Serie A better (no, not just because Juve is so successful there): it is a true measure of each team's worth. Pretty easy in CL, to have a bad game or two and be out.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    swag said:
    Juve hasn't been designed well for the elimination tournament whereas we rise to the top when the competition is long and gruelling.

and Monaco :shifty: (i mean CL successes)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    sagym said:
    Are you saying that those teams have been designed to win the CL ? In what way ?
    I'm saying that Juve's CL failures are arguably on par with those of other G14 clubs in recent years -- so there's more going on here than just Juve.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Ian said:
    Juve are not as dominant in Europe because we don't control UEFA like we control the Serie A. We can't use our mob tactics against all of Europe, so we have to rely on our strength as a football team, and thus we are a European threat, but not dominant.
    And some people can't use the argument anymore that CL referees don't accept our lira. :rolleyes2

loyada

Feb 6, 2005
    swag said:
    I'm saying that Juve's CL failures are arguably on par with those of other G14 clubs in recent years -- so there's more going on here than just Juve.
    true

look at the last 15 years and and a couple of teams won twice or more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)