Serie A 2018/19 (34 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Of course not.

But in my humble opinion, if you operate mostly as a box striker, you have to score goals that other strikers won't score. And you can't miss any easy chances (that is a very high standard, I concede that).

Icardi has scored some screamers but he also misses chances like every other striker (If you watch a Cancelo hype video from last year you will be surprised how many assists he could have had....). He's not outrageously clinical.

He is better than Immobile, Piatek, Zapata, Milik but the question is just how much better, really? These numbers I always see quoted for Icardi are crazy. I see $100M in some places.
Icardi last season scored 29 goals from average 3 shots per game. Harry Kane scored 30 from average 5 shots per game. Salah scored 32 goals from average 4 shots per game.
Icardi is a cunt, but he IS super clinical.

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Icardi last season scored 29 goals from average 3 shots per game. Harry Kane scored 30 from average 5 shots per game. Salah scored 32 goals from average 4 shots per game.
Icardi is a cunt, but he IS super clinical.
Well obviously it depends on where you are shooting from. I mean, Salah is a winger. If he takes the ball from in his own half and produces a chance from outside the box and misses, will you say he's not clinical? Icardi doesn't have that ability.

I am not saying Salah is super clinical either because he's not. But surely where and how you generate shots is a factor.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Well obviously it depends on where you are shooting from. I mean, Salah is a winger. If he takes the ball from in his own half and produces a chance from outside the box and misses, will you say he's not clinical? Icardi doesn't have that ability.

I am not saying Salah is super clinical either because he's not. But surely where and how you generate shots is a factor.
I mentioned Kane and Salah as two great performers last season who are not CR7 and Messi. The fact is, Icardi's goal/shot ratio is ridiculous, and he scores a lot too. Even if he scores 20 tap ins (which he doesn't) that still tells me he's a very clinical striker.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
I mentioned Kane and Salah as two great performers last season who are not CR7 and Messi. The fact is, Icardi's goal/shot ratio is ridiculous, and he scores a lot too. Even if he scores 20 tap ins (which he doesn't) that still tells me he's a very clinical striker.
Well this logic would strengthen my argument.

Quagliarella 16 goals and 3.5 shots per game.

:chin:

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
How? I wouldn't compare 16 goals a season striker to a 29 goals a season one. plus, Quags still had more shots per game than Icardi.
Well I was just going by the season we are in currently.

Your argument was just goals per shot attempt. So 16 goals on 3.5 shots is better than 9 goals on 3 shots in terms of rate, right? But this is an argument no one would use surely.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Of course not.

But in my humble opinion, if you operate mostly as a box striker, you have to score goals that other strikers won't score. And you can't miss any easy chances (that is a very high standard, I concede that).

Icardi has scored some screamers but he also misses chances like every other striker (If you watch a Cancelo hype video from last year you will be surprised how many assists he could have had....). He's not outrageously clinical.

He is better than Immobile, Piatek, Zapata, Milik but the question is just how much better, really? These numbers I always see quoted for Icardi are crazy. I see $100M in some places.

I find strikers like Icardi have a thin margin for error in terms of being valuable. This is the opposite of strikers like Cavani and Mandzukic who are useful into their 30's. Like if you gave me $100M to spend on a team, would you immediately put it into a striker who needs service? It's illogical to me.
Because he scores goals, teams will always pay for goals. @Ronn has given you a valuable stat above but I'll add that in order to even waste a scoring opportunity, first you need to find yourself into one which is a rare skill that is very difficult if not impossible to acquire.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Well I was just going by the season we are in currently.

Your argument was just goals per shot attempt. So 16 goals on 3.5 shots is better than 9 goals on 3 shots in terms of rate, right? But this is an argument no one would use surely.
Let's see how Quags will finish the season first. If he gets to 25+ goals on those average shot numbers then I'd say he had a great season and was very clinical. However, Icardi does this every season, not just one.

- - - Updated - - -

efficiency is one thing. cr7 has one of the worst conversion rates, and honestly, who cares.
Isn't being clinical = being efficient?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
efficiency is one thing. cr7 has one of the worst conversion rates, and honestly, who cares.
Part of this is also that CR7 takes a lot of attempts from improbable positions and angles lowering his conversion rate.

Another part is he gets in position for chances far more often than a guy like Icardi because of his vastly superior movement.

And the final part is that Ronaldo is hugely involved in creating chances for both himself and his teammates... you don't have a player who entirely relies on his teammates to create chances for him, like Icardi most of the time. When you mark Icardi out, have the defenders to shut him down in the box, he does next to nothing (it was the same with Higuain at Napoli, at Juve Allegri taught him to be much more involved in the rest of the game), and his team often runs out of ideas. When teams shut down Ronaldo in the box, he drops deep, drifts wider, and works with the team creating chances.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Part of this is also that CR7 takes a lot of attempts from improbable positions and angles lowering his conversion rate.

Another part is he gets in position for chances far more often than a guy like Icardi because of his vastly superior movement.

And the final part is that Ronaldo is hugely involved in creating chances for both himself and his teammates... you don't have a player who entirely relies on his teammates to create chances for him, like Icardi most of the time. When you mark Icardi out, have the defenders to shut him down in the box, he does next to nothing (it was the same with Higuain at Napoli, at Juve Allegri taught him to be much more involved in the rest of the game), and his team often runs out of ideas. When teams shut down Ronaldo in the box, he drops deep, drifts wider, and works with the team creating chances.
Well those defenses closing down Higuain at Napoli and Icardi at Inter have not been doing a good job looking at their respective goal tallies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Well those defenses closing down Higuain at Napoli and Icardi at Inter have not been doing a good job looking at their respective goal tallies.
I didn't say it was easy, dude. It's not. But good defensive teams do shut them down and it makes their teams far more one-dimensional in attack.

I actually think Higuain was better in his first year here in many ways, than at Napoli, even with scoring substantially less, just because Allegri had him more involved in the game in general. When he wasn't scoring he still offered something on the pitch.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Right decision by Marotta re Icardi.

Joke to call yourself a professional club and have Icardi as your captain (esp with the way he behaves with them lol). Contract or no contract.

De Boer (might not be a good coach but no reason to not believe this, seems obvious) did identify Handanovic as the actual leader in that locker room.

If anyone knows of a place that compiles all the hilarious Pazza Inter circus acts every season, let me know. It's hard to keep up. It's something every week literally.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Didn't realise this discussion about Icardi was prompted by him refusing to travel with the team for EL. Completely fucked, would never want that guy.

Also interesting to see what happens to a club that stupidly makes its unhappy star player the captain rather than selling them on.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Didn't realise this discussion about Icardi was prompted by him refusing to travel with the team for EL. Completely fucked, would never want that guy.

Also interesting to see what happens to a club that stupidly makes its unhappy star player the captain rather than selling them on.
If only Beppe the Great hadn’t gone their to show them the right way, the way of “hands were tied” and “he asked to leave.” :scared:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Fuck Icardi. Another bitch ass faggot being controlled by his whore of a wife, the disgusting and repulsive Wanda. Don't want that spineless cunt or his giant fanged bug eyed slut of a wife anywhere near this club.

Dybala for Icardi? :howler::rofl: Some of you need to lay down the crack pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)