Serie A 2017/18 (126 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Milan hasn't starting selling yet. And what is Milan supposed to sell - Kucka and Abbate?

The reason for this spending spree is to bring the roster to a somewhat respectable level as what Milan have had for the past 3+ years has been truly subpar to garbage. When you are replacing 9-10 of your starters, you are likely gonna spend quite a bit.

Juve didn't and don't have as much to improve upon.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Not yet. And what is Milan supposed to sell - Kucka and Abbate?

The reason for this spending spree is to bring the roster to a somewhat respectable level as what Milan have had for the past 3+ years has been truly subpar to garbage. When you are replacing 9-10 of your starters, you are likely gonna spend quite a bit.

Juve didn't and don't have as much to improve upon.
My point was that we had huge sales and don't spend much, while you just spend. Like JJ posted above.

People always look at the one side.

So shortly... the pic you posted makes barely any sense :p

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
My point was that we had huge sales and don't spend much, while you just spend. Like JJ posted above.

People always look at the one side.

So shortly... the pic you posted makes barely any sense :p
Juve made sales it had to make - Vidal and Pogba were painful departures but they had to happen for reasons other than lack of willingness by the club to spend. The did reinvest all that money, and more, however, and arguably improved on a team that was already very good.

Milan is literally starting a rebuilding process from the ground level, a result of a dormant existence over the past 3-4 years. The new management is literally trying to compensate for that period in a single transfer window. Once the quality of the roster is brought to a somewhat competitive level, the spending will undoubtedly slow down to a much more normal level, like Juve's.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Juve made sales it had to make - Vidal and Pogba were painful departures but they had to happen. The did reinvest all that money, and more, however, and arguably improved on a team that was already very good.

Milan is literally starting a rebuilding process from the ground level, a result of a dormant existence over the past 3-4 years. The new management is literally trying to compensate for that period in a single transfer window. Once the quality of the roster is brought to a somewhat competitive level, the spending will undoubtedly slow down to a much more normal level, like Juve's.
I'm not denying the fact that Milan is doing something stupid because it's obvious Milan needs a whole new team. The spending is justified but yet funny because of the whole FFP thing.

I'm just saying it's silly to say 'both teams spent the same amount' while that's clearly not the big picture.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I'm not denying the fact that Milan is doing something stupid because it's obvious Milan needs a whole new team. The spending is justified but yet funny because of the whole FFP thing.

I'm just saying it's silly to say 'both teams spent the same amount' while that's clearly not the big picture.
It would indeed be silly to suggest that Milan and Juve have spent the same amount over the past 3-4 years - Juve have spent way more than Milan ;)

You look at this spree and you think it's over the top but remember - this is a direct result of Milan not spending anything, or very little, for the previous 3-4 years. When you average it out, it's not really as much as it looks in one lump sum.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It would indeed be silly to suggest that Milan and Juve have spent the same amount over the past 3-4 years - Juve have spent way more than Milan ;)

You look at this spree and you think it's over the top but remember - this is a direct result of Milan not spending anything, or very little, for the previous 3-4 years. When you average it out, it's not really as much as it looks in one lump sum.
Last year our net spent was less than 20mln. I don't know why are you arguing so hard to say how Juve spends a lot more than Milan. I was never stating such.

Maybe it's not much when you spread it over 4 years, but FFP is not about spreading it for 4 or 14 years. It's the spending in one year that breaks the rules.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
What Milan is doing this summer is not an indication, I believe, of what they are going to continue to do in the future in the market.

They are doing what we did in 2010, albeit with much deeper pockets. They are building a whole new squad from scratch because just like us those years ago, they have to.

At the end of the day, they are eventually going to be under the same constraints of being in a league that doesn't generate nearly as much as it should, as we are. Without the added advantage of having their own stadium, for now.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
According to transfermarkt (which is pretty accurate these days), in terms of transfer fees we have spent €147.23m net on players in the past 5 seasons (not including this summer). That's modest really, €30m on average.

Like you say, when you sell often you have to replace. What Milan are doing is the same that Chelsea, City and PSG had to do.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Last year our net spent was less than 20mln. I don't know why are you arguing so hard to say how Juve spends a lot more than Milan. I was never stating such.

Maybe it's not much when you spread it over 4 years, but FFP is not about spreading it for 4 or 14 years. It's the spending in one year that breaks the rules.
In your case, it's the "net" expenditure that's misleading - you guys spent so much money in 2016 that there were barely any areas of the squad left to improve and you probably ran out of realistic targets to go after. If there was a player they particularly liked, you think Juve couldn't afford to spend an extra 30 mil for a net of 50 mil in 2016?
There comes a saturation point, however, where spending more doesn't make you better and you are spending just for the sake of spending. Juve more than reached that point with the money they had at their disposal last year and it just so happened that they had to go 'only' 20 mil over what they had acquired thru sales.

What Milan is doing this summer is simply unsustainable in the long run but they have to follow this path for a transfer window or two in order to make up for the lack of investment over the past 3-4 years.
Ideally, a team like Milan or Juve would sell some players to finance a new mercato and refresh/improve the roster. Spending 150 mil or so without selling beforehand is just unrealistic, unsustainable ... unless you are Real or Man U. That's what Juve did in 2016.

What makes Milan's spending this summer seem more egregious, is that they don't have any important players to sell in order to finance their new mercato, so all they have to rely on is fresh money coming form the outside. This would not be happening if the new ownership had bought a Milan team whose roster was at a somewhat respectable level (e.g. Napoli, Roma, etc).
When all is said and done, Milan will probably get a good 50-60 mil, maybe more, from all the sales of players they are moving on from this summer. But that amount will come as a result of selling 10+ players, which is why it will go unnoticed and people will not factor it in this game of "net" spending we are playing here.

As for the FFP rules, there are obviously ways to go around them, in the short term, at least. I doubt Milan would be able to follow this path in the long run, though.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Do you think this new team you're building will be able to challenge for Scudetto next season or the one after that? @acmilan
I think the goal is, as it should be, to finish in top 4 for the CL spots. It would be unwise to try to put pressure on what is virtually a brand new roster to win the title so early in the process.
As for whether they would be able to challenge for the title, I think with the addition of another midfielder and a striker, they will have the roster to do that. A lot will depend on how quickly the team gels together, though, and if Montella is the right coach for this team.
I for one hope Milan doesn't go deep into the EL as that would be an extra, unnecessary distraction, which a team like say Inter won't have to deal with.
If a few things fall in the right place - among which Juve going deep in CL and letting their guard down in Serie A, Napoli falling off, etc - Milan could end up making a run this year. This being said, I would say this year is probably too early for that - finishing top 4 should be, and is, the goal.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I think the goal is, as it should be, to finish in top 4 for the CL spots. It would be unwise to try to put pressure on what is virtually a brand new roster to win the title so early in the process.
As for whether they would be able to challenge for the title, I think with the addition of another midfielder and a striker, they will have the roster to do that. A lot will depend on how quickly the team gels together, though, and if Montella is the right coach for this team.
I for one hope Milan doesn't go deep into the EL as that would be an extra, unnecessary distraction, which a team like say Inter won't have to deal with.
If a few things fall in the right place - among which Juve going deep in CL and letting their guard down in Serie A, Napoli falling off, etc - Milan could end up making a run this year. This being said, I would say this year is probably too early for that - finishing top 4 should be, and is, the goal.
My personal feeling is that you have some exciting names but not much substance. Montella plays good looking football, but so far isn't able to grind out the ugly points, Kessie and Donnarumma are Serie A top talents, but are they capable of being leagues best players? Bonucci is known for great passing skills, but will he be able to cope in a backline where he has way more responsibility defensively? Not to mention a bunch of promising signings from foreign leagues, we know how often those fail. I think that during the next two.seasons Milan won't come near the title race, but they will eventually find their spot in Top4 pribably

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Here Hamsik annual prediction :baus:

Hamsik: 'Napoli believe in Scudetto'

Marek Hamsik assures Napoli “believe in the Scudetto and we already seem to be doing better than at this time last year.”

The Partenopei flattened Serie D side Trento 7-0 in last night’s friendly, but the quality of goals was remarkable, including an Adam Ounas volley and Vlad Chiriches strike from inside his own half.

“We are just at the beginning, but we already seem to be doing better than at this time last year,” Hamsik told Mediaset Premium.

“We still aren’t feeling the fatigue of pre-season training and are working hard. We’re preparing to be at our best for mid-August, as an important game awaits us.”

Napoli will soon learn their opponents in the Champions League preliminary round, with the first leg on August 15-16.

“I have already said that I believe in the Scudetto and I mean it. This team has proved over the last two years that it can play at the highest level.”

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk
Champions every July and August :touched:

I love their bullishness about how they've improved and this is "their year" they finished lower in the table last year FFS :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

According to transfermarkt (which is pretty accurate these days), in terms of transfer fees we have spent €147.23m net on players in the past 5 seasons (not including this summer). That's modest really, €30m on average.

Like you say, when you sell often you have to replace. What Milan are doing is the same that Chelsea, City and PSG had to do.
People are impressed about Milan's mercato because how bad and shit their team was before, 3-4 exciting looking players will have everyone that loves their club fapping about the "glory days" :):lol3::) The simple fact is, they are taking a huge risk and if they fail to make the top 4 they are in massive trouble. My personal feeling is that they should make the top 4, but won't come anywhere near the title for a while uet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 125)