Sepak Takraw (4 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
If you people have not discovered Sepak Takraw, you need to check this out.

I almost died watching this video... it's the most amazing thing I have seen since the invention of soccer itself.

[video=metacafe;200706/foot_volleyball/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/200706/foot_volleyball/[/video]

Soccer volleyball. Sepak Takraw. Wow.

Buy on AliExpress.com

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
This game is originally Indonesian.

The players have amazing skill with the ball. Maybe zlatan will fit in this game :p
But I wonder Indonesian football never be competitive in the world, not even in Asia.

el_02

Jul 31, 2006
As far as I know, Sepak takraw is from my country. First, people in Sumatra used to played it, until it spreaded to East and Indochina. It's quite popular now in Asia. We played it in our regional competition such as SEA GAMES and ASIAN GAMES.
But Malaysia and Thailand also claimed that they're the origin of sepak takraw...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I first saw this sport in a documentary a while back. When I visited Thailand, I just HAD to check it out in the flesh. It was awesome to see Thai kids playing with the little rattan ball in the street, and I made sure I bought a few to bring back home :D (rattan balls, not Thai kids)

china man

Sep 6, 2004
u all know what is call servis killer in sepak takraw game???pls pols sepak takraw is from malaysia and only thailand and malaysia dominated this games not indonesia...pls see the fact on asia games!!!!

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
Mar 5, 2006
china man said:
u all know what is call servis killer in sepak takraw game???pls pols sepak takraw is from malaysia and only thailand and malaysia dominated this games not indonesia...pls see the fact on asia games!!!!
:agree: know your history Indons.......
In 1935, during the Golden Jubilee Celebrations for King George V, the game of sepak raga was played on a badminton court, in the Malaysian State of Negeri Sembilan. The development of the game was interupted by the war. In 1945 in Penang the net was again introduced and the popularity spread to surrounding areas and then countries.

In 1965 Malaysia hosted the South East Asian Peninsular games (SEAP) and sepak raga was introduced. There were lengthy discussion between Malaysian and Singapore delegates, on the one hand, and Laos and Thai delegates, on the other, with regard to the official name of the sport. An agreement was subsequently arrived at and it was decided that the sport would be known as "Sepak Takraw". Sepak means KICK in Malay and Takraw means BALL in Thai word.

In 1965 Malaysia issued three stamps for the 3rd SEAP games with the 25c stamp representing Sepak Takraw. A First Day Cover is also illustrated.

there's the internet for you guys to check it out so please don't simply claim certain things for the sake of pride. There are Malaysians here and its offensive to rule out certain of our culture

Supporters believe it only a matter of time before sepak takraw is accepted as an international sport beyond Southeast Asia. It is a source of considerable pride in Southeast Asia, and debates continue—especially between Malaysia and Thailand—over which nation can claim ownership of the sport.

there's nothing to do with Indonesia

meanwhile the governing body for the sport, the International Sepak Takraw Federation, is working to have it accepted as an Olympic sport.

so hopefully it could go worldwide one day. Its definitely alot more interesting compared to volleyball

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
IlDivinCodino said:
:agree: know your history Indons.......
In 1935, during the Golden Jubilee Celebrations for King George V, the game of sepak raga was played on a badminton court, in the Malaysian State of Negeri Sembilan. The development of the game was interupted by the war. In 1945 in Penang the net was again introduced and the popularity spread to surrounding areas and then countries.

In 1965 Malaysia hosted the South East Asian Peninsular games (SEAP) and sepak raga was introduced. There were lengthy discussion between Malaysian and Singapore delegates, on the one hand, and Laos and Thai delegates, on the other, with regard to the official name of the sport. An agreement was subsequently arrived at and it was decided that the sport would be known as "Sepak Takraw". Sepak means KICK in Malay and Takraw means BALL in Thai word.

In 1965 Malaysia issued three stamps for the 3rd SEAP games with the 25c stamp representing Sepak Takraw. A First Day Cover is also illustrated.

there's the internet for you guys to check it out so please don't simply claim certain things for the sake of pride. There are Malaysians here and its offensive to rule out certain of our culture

Supporters believe it only a matter of time before sepak takraw is accepted as an international sport beyond Southeast Asia. It is a source of considerable pride in Southeast Asia, and debates continue—especially between Malaysia and Thailand—over which nation can claim ownership of the sport.

there's nothing to do with Indonesia

meanwhile the governing body for the sport, the International Sepak Takraw Federation, is working to have it accepted as an Olympic sport.

so hopefully it could go worldwide one day. Its definitely alot more interesting compared to volleyball
I know the history man. And don't teach, like you are the only person who know everything. :(

This game is originally indonesian. malaysia and thailand made it a sport internationally. but the game itself is from indonesia.

The problem with indonesia, we don't care too much about intelectual right etc. Even tempe (a food made from soyage bean) which is like a main food in indonesia, everybody eats it everyday, Japan claim it and licence it.
I can't imagine someday i eat Tempe and i have to pay some money to Japan :disagree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)