Sebastian Giovinco (14 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
But he is not good at the wing
I actually think in attack he's great as a winger - he is very dangerous in 1v1 situations and has a great cross on him, he's also able to shoot from distance cutting back inside.

Of course he'll fall short in defence, but I think it's worth a shot against weaker opponents or when we're desperately chasing a goal.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
But he is not good at the wing
Just because you repeat this a million times, doesn't make it true. He's better on the wing then he is at SS, where he too often gets bullied because of his size and the lack of space.

Name me a run of games during the last two years at Juve, where Giovinco has played LWF in a 4-3-3? You can't, because we very rarely play the formation.

Since Pepe went down, and Leo was inserted into the lineup, we've started nearly every game in the 3-5-2. Generally, any time we've played with 3 across the front since the change in formation, we've been chasing the game, or looking to break the deadlock against an inferior opponent. It's been an in game shift, where an extra forward is thrown on. In the situations I can remember seeing Seba play in the 4-3-3 at Juve (not counting his first stint) he's been on the right of that front three; he hasn't been great, but in those situations the team has generally been off as well -- hence the shift, we're already chasing something.

He's always been comfortable at LWF, dating back to his days with the Azzurrini. He may not be a world beater, but for my money he's more effective there than he is playing as a SS in a 3-5-2.

Also, more generally, I don't know if it's because I'm now 31 and don't want to admit I'm past my prime ( :D ) , but this idea that players can't improve past the age of, say, 25 -- that's utter nonsense. You can already see with Giovinco that just by putting on some more weight, getting a bit stronger, it has positively influenced his game. He's going to continue to get stronger over the next few years, and more intelligent on the pitch with experience -- that's just what happens. He's also probably going to get more confident as he matures -- he's a family man now, he knows great responsibility, that's often what happens. I would bet money that he will be a better player at age 28 than he is today.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Just because you repeat this a million times, doesn't make it true. He's better on the wing then he is at SS, where he too often gets bullied because of his size and the lack of space.

Name me a run of games during the last two years at Juve, where Giovinco has played LWF in a 4-3-3? You can't, because we very rarely play the formation.

Since Pepe went down, and Leo was inserted into the lineup, we've started nearly every game in the 3-5-2. Generally, any time we've played with 3 across the front since the change in formation, we've been chasing the game, or looking to break the deadlock against an inferior opponent. It's been an in game shift, where an extra forward is thrown on. In the situations I can remember seeing Seba play in the 4-3-3 at Juve (not counting his first stint) he's been on the right of that front three; he hasn't been great, but in those situations the team has generally been off as well -- hence the shift, we're already chasing something.

He's always been comfortable at LWF, dating back to his days with the Azzurrini. He may not be a world beater, but for my money he's more effective there than he is playing as a SS in a 3-5-2.

Also, more generally, I don't know if it's because I'm now 31 and don't want to admit I'm past my prime ( :D ) , but this idea that players can't improve past the age of, say, 25 -- that's utter nonsense. You can already see with Giovinco that just by putting on some more weight, getting a bit stronger, it has positively influenced his game. He's going to continue to get stronger over the next few years, and more intelligent on the pitch with experience -- that's just what happens. He's also probably going to get more confident as he matures -- he's a family man now, he knows great responsibility, that's often what happens. I would bet money that he will be a better player at age 28 than he is today.
Brother, this is because we need the first 45 mins to study the opponent. You have to understand the tactics.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
And pogba disrupts our tactical flow.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think in attack he's great as a winger - he is very dangerous in 1v1 situations and has a great cross on him, he's also able to shoot from distance cutting back inside.

Of course he'll fall short in defence, but I think it's worth a shot against weaker opponents or when we're desperately chasing a goal.
:lol:

Cheeky.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

If there hasn't been enough of a run of games to show that Giovinco isn't good at playing on the wing, how can there have been enough of a run of games to say he is good enough?

And Giovinco is a completely different player now to the one he was when he first appeared and when he was playing for the Azzurini (I was also under the impression he mostly played trequartista for them).

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003

Exactly!

Im very aware of his physical limitations, and that he will never have the physical presence of asamoah or Licht but i want to ask this: Theres is not a way to train a player for him to be more efficient as a winger?. Some kind of physical intensive training and tactical plan, to make him more suited to fulfill the winger role, but as a more offensive oriented player?.

I mean, the biggest factor as a winger is workload. Im not aware of how much stamina he has... but given his small frame.. i dont think it would be too diffciult to run 75 mins at least,,, covering the line and supporting with crosses and cut-ins.

Im going to do a Rakinuke here but i dont care... as im much more bored to see our stale 352 and struggling so much on the wings.

-------------------Buff-----------

----------Barz----Bon-----Chiello--------

Pogs-----Vidal---Pirlo-----Cheesio-------Gio

-----------Tevez-------Llorente-------------

Then find a better replacement than Padoin on the midfield, and turn Asamoah into a CM again or winger when giovinco is not required as a winger.

That would add the needed flair on the wings, and also would solve our problem with crosses because both giovionco and Pogba can deliver some very good crosses and can driblle past players.

Our striking department would not suffer because we have just too many anyways.
The only thing needed would be to preparate heavily Giovinco there as a winger, and make him work his ass off.

And please dont tell me it is totally umbalanced because im pretty sure that with a lot of work it can be done. Pogba is a box to box player so he can easily box to box but on the wings... and Giovinco can be ordeed to aid Marchisio a lot more defensively but also attack when needed.

I would die to see this pulled off against weaker opposition to see what we can do.

- - - Updated - - -

If there hasn't been enough of a run of games to show that Giovinco isn't good at playing on the wing, how can there have been enough of a run of games to say he is good enough?
Theres just one way to know.

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007
Giovinco clearly suffers a lot whenever he's deployed as SS, and indeed his best position is LWF. But 3-5-2 is tried and tested, Conte can't drop it just for Giovinco's sake.

That being said, Conte also must have a plan B. Especially when Pirlo is out of form, 3-5-2 just doesn't work, remember Bayern Munich matches. IMO, 4-3-3 would be the best plan B for us, in which Giovinco can perfectly fit in it.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Its time to understand Giovinco simply didnt develop in the player we first saw in him, and now his explosiveness is less then 5 years ago, but his strenght remained the same, its quite clear he'll never be solid for juventus.

4-3-3 ? What, are we talking about a champion like ribery ? I dont think so. Giovinco is FAR AND FAR from beeing good enough to alter a formation for.

As it stands, put 4-3-3 giovinco against 3-5-2 lichtsteiner, and he would be obliterated

He is not good enough to be a starter. And if the goddamn fanboys can shut their arsehole, we could keep him from when the opponent is starting to leave gaps in their defence, as milan was doing, cause then he actually can get effective IF he keeps his composure.

Its so amazing, that people want us to go 4-3-3 for a very mediocre player not worthy to start for juventus, and at the same time demand a true worldclass champion such as tevez who won more then half the team combined , to be played out of position on the wing.

Hear this fools. Tevez needs to play in the center. That cannot co-exist with giovinco on the wing, so the little faggot gets benched

deal with it

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Cmon man...

Yeah, i like when he has a rare glimp of skill like against milan.
But seriously, its once in a blue moon.

Let alone change a formation for it. People needs to realise juventus could play 4-3-3 but it needs entirely diffrent players then giovinco is

And to get the best out of tevez, we need a central support striker system

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Another Martini, Zach?

:lol:

It must be hard to type and drink when on a bar table.

But seriously, train the little fuker like a winger and do it for the lolz to see if he can do something there. If not , send him home, because even as a suoerb sub, he is not THAT good when coming on the 2nd half and having to face totally parked buses.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think either the 4 3 3 or 3 5 2 are the absolutely best formations we can play. It really depends on the opponent and whether or not we are chasing the game or protecting the lead and exactly who Wr have ready and fit to play. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. People should remember that the 3 5 2 has won us back to back titles and Conte takes a lot of pride in implementing this formation so successfully.

If Licht was fully fit and so is Asamoah, then I think the 3 5 2 is a very powerful formation. With Vidal and Pogba/Marchisio in the middle, BBC, and licht and asa on the wings, our defense is very difficult to break down. The obvious drawback is that most if not all our attacks will depend on Pirlo. if he's having a bad day, or is marked very well, we pretty much get neutralized.

The reason it has worked so well in the past was because of mainly Pirlo's incredible form. The reason it's not looking as good now is the same reason it looked so good then.

Giovinco can play and do well in a 3 5 2, if he drops a little deeperbehind someone like llorente, he can be very dangerous, but again, he'll need a lot of help from Pirlo. Now, since Tevez is mainly taking that role, and a Tevez Gio attack wouldn't be the most efficient, his role would probably be reduced to an impact sub for whoever isn't playing too well.

I don't blame conte for being stubborn, he had very good reason to. My only criticism is that against teams like gala and Copenhagen, we ought to be more adventurous, and take risks.Wa 3 5 2 against a team parking the bus with Pirlo not in great form is never going to be good.

I'd like to see Giovinco in these games and tevez doesn't have to drift wide, he can play centrally with 2 of gio, vuc, quag on the wings. We have a huge problem in breaking down small teams and after being forced to take too many long range efforts. It's time Conte starts tinkering. The days of relying on Pirlo to unlock the opponent's defense are behind us. We shouldn't build a formation around Gio, but we ought to try to transition to one that's more effective than the 3 5 2, with or without Gio, when the time calls for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think either the 4 3 3 or 3 5 2 are the absolutely best formations we can play. It really depends on the opponent and whether or not we are chasing the game or protecting the lead and exactly who Wr have ready and fit to play. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. People should remember that the 3 5 2 has won us back to back titles and Conte takes a lot of pride in implementing this formation so successfully.

If Licht was fully fit and so is Asamoah, then I think the 3 5 2 is a very powerful formation. With Vidal and Pogba/Marchisio in the middle, BBC, and licht and asa on the wings, our defense is very difficult to break down. The obvious drawback is that most if not all our attacks will depend on Pirlo. if he's having a bad day, or is marked very well, we pretty much get neutralized.

The reason it has worked so well in the past was because of mainly Pirlo's incredible form. The reason it's not looking as good now is the same reason it looked so good then.

Giovinco can play and do well in a 3 5 2, if he drops a little deeperbehind someone like llorente, he can be very dangerous, but again, he'll need a lot of help from Pirlo. Now, since Tevez is mainly taking that role, and a Tevez Gio attack wouldn't be the most efficient, his role would probably be reduced to an impact sub for whoever isn't playing too well.

I don't blame conte for being stubborn, he had very good reason to. My only criticism is that against teams like gala and Copenhagen, we ought to be more adventurous, and take risks.Wa 3 5 2 against a team parking the bus with Pirlo not in great form is never going to be good.

I'd like to see Giovinco in these games and tevez doesn't have to drift wide, he can play centrally with 2 of gio, vuc, quag on the wings. We have a huge problem in breaking down small teams and after being forced to take too many long range efforts. It's time Conte starts tinkering. The days of relying on Pirlo to unlock the opponent's defense are behind us. We shouldn't build a formation around Gio, but we ought to try to transition to one that's more effective than the 3 5 2, with or without Gio, when the time calls for it.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Buffon
Licht - Barz - Bon - Chiellini
Vidal - Pogba - Marchi
Giovinco - Tevez - Vucinic

This formation should be an option against weak opponents and when we're chasing a goal.

Being obsessed with not conceding a goal is a self-fulfilling prophecy at times.

I'm no Gio fanboy, I'd rather have a world class winger, however, as we can't afford one, and since Gio evidently has some skill on the ball and can be quite dangerous on occasion, he needs to play as a RWF or LWF at times. He's no SS or CF, that's for sure.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Cmon man...

Yeah, i like when he has a rare glimp of skill like against milan.
But seriously, its once in a blue moon.

Let alone change a formation for it. People needs to realise juventus could play 4-3-3 but it needs entirely diffrent players then giovinco is

And to get the best out of tevez, we need a central support striker system
the ones who want the 4-3-3 as our primary formation are seriously deluded as we neither have the players for it nor have the bench for it. Having said that, keeping the 4-3-3 as a mid-game crisis plan B should be a serious consideration of ours and that should be reflected in the transfer market.

If we can't find affordable improvements for the 3-5-2 in the transfer market then we should keep our eyes opened for strengthening our Plan B 4-3-3.

Barca conquered the world without a plan B because they have an incredibly consistent Messi but there were still the rare times where they needed a plan B.
Our primary formation isnt remotely as effective as Barca's and we therefore are more in need of a Plan B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)