Scholes's shock retirement (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2002
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=217634&cpid=8
by Adam Marshall

Paul Scholes has sensationally retired from international football after representing England in Euro 2004.

The Manchester United midfielder has been an automatic choice for his country and ended his goal drought with a header during the win against Croatia.

Scholes made his full international debut against Italy in Le Tournoi, scoring and setting up a goal for Ian Wright in a performance that offered a glimpse of his precocious talents.

He had earlier made his England bow at his home ground of Old Trafford in a match against South Africa.

"This is a decision I have not taken lightly," he told United's official website.

"I have been considering retiring from international football for a while now.

"I started my England career in 1997 and have enjoyed seven years of great football, playing in the best competitions, with some of the best players, under the best managers."

Scholes has been under pressure for his place, although always a favourite of Sven Goran Eriksson's, with Frank Lampard's emergence as a top class talent a key factor.

"Euro 2004 was fantastic but, afterwards, I felt the time was right for myself and my family to make it my last England appearance," he added.

The 29-year-old was substituted during the penalty shoot-out defeat to Portugal that ended England's run in the competition.

--------------------------------------

****, he was my of my fav all time players. shame for england..

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Paul Scholes is a foggot who has no regard for other players' career. This is true blessing to soccer, and may I hope that one day he will break his leg to look over some gross tackling he made.
BTW, he is one of the most overrated player in the world, IMO. What so special about him for a player that plays same position with Zizou, Veron, Rui Costa, Kaka, Totti, Nedved to name a few?
Good player? Yes, but the one also followed by horrendous tackles, and unwarranted hype.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm quite suprised at this. 29 is a fairly young age to retire, even if it's just from international football. I agree with Jun that he's overrated, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a foggot and wish he breaks his leg. He's scored some spectacular goals and I admire his willingness to shoot from anywhere on the pitch (maybe cos that's a bit like me :D)

Len

Feb 13, 2004
29 is young.......he's the same age as DP.......I'm surprised.....I personally think he's a good player.....

Jul 28, 2002
scholes...not over rated, imo underated, he does everything, even tries to tackle ......

his replacement, lampard.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
This is really sad. Scholes was my favourite english player along with Gerrard.
He is a fantastic player. He is a master of the short-passing game, he has scored many important goals for Manchester and not to forget he has a great fighting spirit. He will be missed but he can be replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)