[SA] Copa Libertadores 2006 (1 Viewer)

JuveBR

Jun 26, 2005
The "Latin American Champions League" will begin!

Copa Libertadores winner will, probably, make the Fifa World Club Championship final against the CL winner.

The Groups:

GROUP 1

São Paulo-BRA
Cienciano-PER
Caracas-VEN
Chivas-MEX

GROUP 2

Bolívar-BOL
Estudiantes LP-ARG
Sporting Cristal-PER
Independiente Santa Fé-COL

GROUP 3

Newell´s Old Boys-ARG
Unión Española-CHI
The Strongest-BOL
Goiás-BRA

GROUP 4

Corinthians-BRA
Deportivo Cali-COL
Tigres-MEX
Universidad Católica-CHI

GROUP 5

LDU-EQU
Rocha-URU
Vélez Sarsfield-ARG
Universitário-PER

GROUP 6

Internacional-BRA
Nacional-URU
Pumas-MEX
Unión Maracaibo-VEN

GROUP 7

Palmeiras-BRA
Rosário Central-ARG
Nacional de Medellín-COL
Cerro Porteño-PAR e

GROUP 8

El Nacional-EQU
Paulista-BRA
Libertad-PAR e
River Plate-ARG

---

The favorites are, of course, the Brazilian and Argentinean teams. But Mexican and anothers traditional teams are strong too. But Libertadores is a surprising competition.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Oh yeah... looking forward to it again this year. Though I never know why. ;)

Adding to the name to make it look more "official" and, at the risk of overkill, making it sticky.

I forget -- did they opt to implement an away goals rule this time? So many of their two-legged finals ended up in penalty shootouts each year, they had to do something about it.

OP
JuveBR

JuveBR

Jun 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    swag said:
    I forget -- did they opt to implement an away goals rule this time? So many of their two-legged finals ended up in penalty shootouts each year, they had to do something about it.
    Yes, now a goal at the adversary home have a double value. But this rule have no validity at the final (the Libertadores final is not like the CL final. The decision happen in a double game - home and away).

---

Hey guys, what do you know or want know about this important competition, maybe 3rd best club competition in the world (1st - FIFA World Club Championship / 2nd - Champions League)?

OP
    JuveBR

JuveBR

Jun 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    Why FIFA World Club Championship is a joke? Because a non-european team won?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Depends on the perspective I guess.

Example:

Roma plays Juve at the delle Alpi in the first leg of the Coppa Italia round of 8.
    Attendance? 5,197

Juve plays at the Stadio Olimpico for the second leg.
    Attendance? 51,860

Think about it -- it's a factor of 10x! In a sense of importance, it's not always a real match between participants.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Don Bes said:
    i dont see the connection
    Basically my point was if a team fields their first-team squad and takes it seriously, it's game on. But not every club will do that, given the domestic competitions and regional cups that the teams might otherwise be engaged in. Doesn't matter if it's Europe or South America, per se. We can have that in the same country, such as the importance that clubs and fans gave the last round of the Coppa Italia between Juve and Roma -- as an example.

Though the fact that the South American and European championships are out of cycle is ultimately going to favor somebody -- depending on when they time the tournament.

Joaco

the cronopio
    Dec 11, 2005
    nobody post here, so I'll do it:p

all the argetinians teams are eliminated, something very weird. Libertad of Paraguay elminated River Plate, Chivas eliminated Velez, Sao Pablo to Estudiantes L.P and Palmeiras to LDU. So, are we waiting for another final between brazilian teams?
    The matches are:
    Chivas-Sao Pablo
    Palmeiras-Libertad

My team to win the "Copa Libertadores" is Chivas. The mexican team is playing good, doing great football and they can pass trough

And, what happened in Paraguay in the match Libertad-River it's a shame to the south-american football:disagree: :disagree:

danielz

Apr 5, 2006
    That's not Palmeiras, that's Internacional.

I think Internacional will be in the final, but Sao Paulo will have difficult to eliminate Chivas. On Groups Stage, Chivas won Sao Paulo twice, including a match on Brazil. For sure, Internacional, Sao Paulo and Chivas with maybe Velez, are the greatest teams of this Copa Libertadores edition. We'll have nices matches.

About the match between Libertad and River, that's what always happen when River Plate gets owned, this happen last year against Sao Paulo.

And a curiosity, if Chivas win the Libertadores, they will not able to play Fifa World Clup Championship, because they aren't a Conmebol team.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Chivas? Those interlopers? Yikes.

Though you always have to love a team whose jerseys say "BIMBO" across the front. It's particularly appropriate for the dancing hot chicks that show up wearing them on TV shows like Republica Deportiva. (OK, so it's a bread company, I know... ;))

Joaco

the cronopio
    Dec 11, 2005
    swag said:
    Chivas? Those interlopers? Yikes.

Though you always have to love a team whose jerseys say "BIMBO" across the front. It's particularly appropriate for the dancing hot chicks that show up wearing them on TV shows like Republica Deportiva. (OK, so it's a bread company, I know... ;))
    Ohhhh, shite!! I love that bread!:toast: :toast:

Mar 24, 2006
    sorry , i posted this video URL into this thread .

ortega scored a lucky goal in the additional time vs quilmes , a lil bit out of rules :D and from this video , u can compararing which one commentator is the noisier , the al-jazeera one or this one :pumpkin:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Actually, I've been completely out of touch with this. Could someone who's following this tournament give us a rundown of where it currently stands? I'd be curious at least...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)