Rugby (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2013
Tonight was the final of top14 between Stade Toulousain and Clermont, and of course a new defeat of Clermont. The record 2 wins 12 defeats in 14 finals.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Tributes have been paid to "immense" former France rugby union international Christophe Dominici, who has died aged 48.

Dominici was best known for helping France knock New Zealand out of the 1999 Rugby World Cup.

A witness saw him climb the roof of a disused building at Saint-Cloud park, near Paris, on Tuesday before falling, officials say. :moan:

Prosecutors have opened an inquiry into the cause of his death.

"So much sadness. Christophe Dominici was an immense player, an artist. His sudden death is a shock," said sports minister Roxana Maracineanu.

Dominici played 67 times for his country and won the French championship five times with Stade Français before retiring in 2008. In recent years he had worked as a pundit for French radio and TV.

His 1999 World Cup semi-final performance spurred France to a sensational comeback, as he darted down the left of the pitch and seized the ball ahead of two New Zealand defenders to score a try. The All Blacks were leading the game at the time and had the brilliant Jonah Lomu in their line-up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55056643

============================================

What a shame. He was such a great player to watch back in the day. Never liked the French in rugby, of course, but when they get it right no one can touch them for imagination and flair. And as a short guy myself, I always appreciated someone the same sort of height and build who could mix it with the big boys. I did play a bit of rugby as a teen, and fancied myself as an imaginative winger based on his style. His centre of gravity was so low and he seemed to be able to wriggle out of tackles. I imagine he was very annoying to play against.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That really was an historic ass-kicking. Borthwick has so much work to do to get near the elite 3 or 4 teams, but it's true that teams have different stages of growth and it makes a difference.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
When France are focussed and on their game they are a match for anyone and play some magnificent rugby. I love seeing teams score tries where they run with the ball and pass it through the line for the winger to convert. So few teams do it but France and New Zealand are two that have tried to play that way for as long as I can remember.

The issue for the French team is discipline and focus. If they can control both they have an excellent chance at the World Cup.

Apr 17, 2013
That really was an historic ass-kicking. Borthwick has so much work to do to get near the elite 3 or 4 teams, but it's true that teams have different stages of growth and it makes a difference.
18 years without winning at Twickenham, finally.

For years we had a dry spell with a lot of ridiculous defeats. It's just when Galtier became a manager that he managed to build a group of talented and ambitious youngsters. When you see today Dupont is magnificent as a mix of power, intelligence, speed.

And New Zealand mastered it. But I reckon France and Ireland are as good or better currently.
South Africa, France or Ireland are really the 3 best teams. New zealand lost their rugby, like Wales and England, Australia hasn't done anything for a long time, even Scotland are more impressive than those teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)