Roth or Hagar (1 Viewer)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
This is a debate that seems to have been going on since the history of Rock, yet its only been 20 years.

The great argument:

Who is the better lead singer of Van Halen, David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

Arguments can be made for both, but my vote goes to Diamond Dave.

Granted, Van Hagar achieved as equal or if not greater commercial success than the Roth led Van Halen, but that's not what the group was ever about. Diamond Dave helped to solidify the image of Rock Stars being bigger than life, and Van Halen helped create that "Big Rock" sound that helped them dominate the late 70's and early 80's, so much so that during their first tour when they opened up for Black Sabbath in '78, Black Sabbath refused to tour unless Van Halen was taken off the bill, because they were being upstaged and outplayed every night.

The Roth/Van Halen years brought a swagger, a sense of humor, and a general sense of fun that was lacking before them, and has been lacking ever since.

Do I hate Sammy Hagar? No. His solo stuff in the late '70's early 80's is good stuff, especially "Standing Hampton" LP in 1981. I just hate the Sammy Hagar -led Van Halen. They went soft, in my opinion, when he came on board, and they took themselves way too seriously.

Now, I had the good fortune of seeing both incarnations of Van Halen (I don't count the Gary Cherone disaster of '98) live in concert. Roth in '84, and Hagar in '89, and I'll tell you this, the Roth show was far and away a better concert, the epitome of what a good show is about. Although Sammy is a better singer, he's not a better performer, and they didn't truly "rock" the way a Van Halen should.

Anyway, I'd like your input on this, because there are a ton of music fans here, and this has always been one of the hottest and most fiercely debated topics in recent memory.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
I have never saw them live or even video of live. So from a purely music rather than performance point of view id go with Hagar.

And actually i dont get why it is such a big debate. Roth got to big for van halen, the band would never have lasted with him around.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Serge, all respect to you for making threads that you know about 2 people are gonna participate in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)