Rodrigo Bentancur (65 Viewers)

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Nah, it's all on Bentancur. You know why? Because he looks disinterested. And also hasn't progressed at all since his Boca days. And doesn't press even when he makes the most interceptions. And can't dribble, but if he dribbles as a DM he is stupid, so he is either stupid or can't dribble, or both. And doesn't make passes, even when he made two assists today. Fucking Rodrigo ruins everything.
EDIT: he is also ghost, like Marchisio. But uglier.
Are you serious? Just compare last season and the one before and you see improvement in all areas. Passing, tackling, goals, assists

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
I think many, me included, will have to understand that the second we are going to judge him based on anything beyond his basic tasks (ball recovery and passing it to the nearest teammate) we are going to be disappointed. It's clear the guy has heart and is excellent in this role.

The problem I have with Bentancur is that he does everything in one tempo. There is no acceleration in either passing or off the ball movement. Today, around the 90th minute there was an instance Atalanta lost possession in midfield and instead of just pushing the ball forward to a free teammate, I saw him take 2/3 excessive touches, ultimately leading to Atalanta closing down space and Bentancur just giving a backward/lateral pass. Another moment where we had a great chance to counter (3v3), and instead of passing it diagonally in space towards Chiesa, he gave another sloppy lateral pass. If executed well, things like these can win you games. The other day I saw Modric and Kroos vs Inter, completely dominate midfield for 90 minutes straight by simply passing the ball over the top from side to side and utilize space. Often Bentancur's passing is just sloppy, unfocused, and without finesse.

Having said that, from our current midfield Bentancur is probably the last or second to last to be replaced IMO. If we can get someone like Pogba in January and pair him with Bentancur/McKennie and Arthur, I think we'd be at least in a position to compete for every title this season.
About the 90 minutes thing you mention, I've shouted so hard "NOOOOOOOO" that my youngest son came ans asked me what was wrong

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Bentancur always looks “disinterested” but I don’t think it’s laziness like it is with Rabiot. I think he just wants to look like he’s always under control and nothing phases him.

It’s funny, if you pay attention to him during a game, you’ll see him motion to his teammates numerous times to “calm down” ...only to be the guy making the biggest/dumbest errors with a dangerous tackle or a stupid pass in his own third.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Bentancur is, along with McKennie, the only athletic midfielder we have. These types of midfielders can always play a useful role, even if they are not the star player in the team. Rodrigo's technique is quite good anyway, it's not like he's Sturaro.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I wouldn't call Bentancur Athletic. When he was younger and more hunger he ran everywhere and showed alot of stamina but this last couple of seasons he has been more reserved and anything but explosive or Athletic.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
i honestly can't remember such a commanding performance from him since forever. it might be one of his top3 games for juve. what a refreshing contrast after seeing him a shadow of himself so far this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 59)