Rodrigo Bentancur (63 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I dont see much difference in todays Bentancur and the one who got subbed in 3 seasons ago as a 18yo fearless player. He might have improved a bit in some areas but I dont see enough progress to want to bet on him becoming our next world class midfielder. I dont believe he will. I see him as a good backup in top CL team, not starter.
you said that he stagnated the last 2 seasons, which is simply inaccurate. he's having a meh season (imo mainly due to the hangover from last year's overuse), but for the majority of last year, he was pretty consistent, and the progress was clear.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Serious question: I see the reason for a "meh" season is due to a "hangover" from last season according to some. Just how does one calculate an acceptable length of time an excuse like that can be justified for professional athletes? And, if already calculated, when can we expect such hangover to end?

Last edited:

Mookieb10

Apr 5, 2018
if you ain't a prime xavi or pirlo, or vidal then u don't belong here. according to members
I know you say this in jest, but in reality, if we want to be the best team in the world... yes, we should expect our warriors to at least TRY to be the world’s best. Over Bentancur’s tenure, we’ve had between an above average goalkeeper all the way up to one of the goats, we’ve had the best CB combos in the world. We have had the most or second most well rounded left back in the world and we’ve hd the most expensive striker in Pipita and the greatest goal scorer ever in CR7 and not to mention Dybala’s start to 17-18 may have been the best first half of a season in Serie A history... and you tell me... what do we have to show for it? In the big picture, do we have enough to make you happy or do you wish for us, with this talent, to have strived higher? Cause with all that, I think we at very least, could have reached higher.

Oct 23, 2011
so tuz's solutions is sell bentancur, sell rabiot, sell ramsey, sell arthur, sell khedira

and do what? do we expect 5 new midfielders to come in in summer?
I think many, me included, will have to understand that the second we are going to judge him based on anything beyond his basic tasks (ball recovery and passing it to the nearest teammate) we are going to be disappointed. It's clear the guy has heart and is excellent in this role.

The problem I have with Bentancur is that he does everything in one tempo. There is no acceleration in either passing or off the ball movement. Today, around the 90th minute there was an instance Atalanta lost possession in midfield and instead of just pushing the ball forward to a free teammate, I saw him take 2/3 excessive touches, ultimately leading to Atalanta closing down space and Bentancur just giving a backward/lateral pass. Another moment where we had a great chance to counter (3v3), and instead of passing it diagonally in space towards Chiesa, he gave another sloppy lateral pass. If executed well, things like these can win you games. The other day I saw Modric and Kroos vs Inter, completely dominate midfield for 90 minutes straight by simply passing the ball over the top from side to side and utilize space. Often Bentancur's passing is just sloppy, unfocused, and without finesse.

Having said that, from our current midfield Bentancur is probably the last or second to last to be replaced IMO. If we can get someone like Pogba in January and pair him with Bentancur/McKennie and Arthur, I think we'd be at least in a position to compete for every title this season.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
I’m not even a Bentancur fan and I thought he was fine. Nothing worth complaining about at least.

The problem is McKennie is our best playmaking CM, and I’m not sure it’s even close. I love McKennie, but we can’t be a serious club until that changes.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
ITs worrying when u see ur mid preparing a semi long pass from the middle of the pitch to the side for like 30 seconds and he still cant pass it right. The types of pass amateurs can easily do, its like fucking 30m with none chasing u. And thats really our problem, u can see other teams mids do passes like this with out even blinking, while our mid takes three or more touches before they are even prepared to pass. Rabiot has to do it with the left leg, which of course is a problem when he is on the right side, takes ages and Benta most of the times just cant do it fast enough too.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
So basically, Bentancur is a new Pjanic. Whenever we don't win, no matter the reason and actual performance, he is one to blame.
Well I would never blame one guy, but in some sense ur right, its almost always the midfield problem, but the whole midfield, not one guy.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Well I would never blame one guy, but in some sense ur right, its almost always the midfield problem, but the whole midfield, not one guy.
It is if you use the stupid "show me your midfield and yada yada yada" rule. Football changed, midfielders are no longer necessary playmakers. And Cuads with Danilo suddenly became playmakers not because it happens, but because Pirlo uses them as playmakers.
Benta did his job yesterday. He had 97% pass completion – the highest value on the field. Yeah, and he got an assist and a great pass for a penalty, made the most tackles, lost the ball only 7 times (Cuads did 19 times for example), recovered the ball 7 times on par with BigMac highest.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
It is if you use the stupid "show me your midfield and yada yada yada" rule. Football changed, midfielders are no longer necessary playmakers. And Cuads with Danilo suddenly became playmakers not because it happens, but because Pirlo uses them as playmakers.
Or because, as Pirlo literally said, he doesn’t have any playmaking CMs at his disposal.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I think many, me included, will have to understand that the second we are going to judge him based on anything beyond his basic tasks (ball recovery and passing it to the nearest teammate) we are going to be disappointed. It's clear the guy has heart and is excellent in this role.

The problem I have with Bentancur is that he does everything in one tempo. There is no acceleration in either passing or off the ball movement. Today, around the 90th minute there was an instance Atalanta lost possession in midfield and instead of just pushing the ball forward to a free teammate, I saw him take 2/3 excessive touches, ultimately leading to Atalanta closing down space and Bentancur just giving a backward/lateral pass. Another moment where we had a great chance to counter (3v3), and instead of passing it diagonally in space towards Chiesa, he gave another sloppy lateral pass. If executed well, things like these can win you games. The other day I saw Modric and Kroos vs Inter, completely dominate midfield for 90 minutes straight by simply passing the ball over the top from side to side and utilize space. Often Bentancur's passing is just sloppy, unfocused, and without finesse.

Having said that, from our current midfield Bentancur is probably the last or second to last to be replaced IMO. If we can get someone like Pogba in January and pair him with Bentancur/McKennie and Arthur, I think we'd be at least in a position to compete for every title this season.
Exactly my thoughts.

The problem with betan is that he simply juat doesnt have the vision and the urge for this maneuvers. And this will not change as he ias already sent in his complete version

May 26, 2016

Perfect post. You put excactly the right words of how i feel about him as a player. He is not a bad, just limited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)