Roberto Baggio (17 Viewers)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
One of the best kits in history of the Azzurri.

Talking about the Azzurri, with the players they had in 98, they could make the best team in history of the world cup. Ale and Roby in one team, without mentioning all the others. Ale was bad in that tournament, Baggio did well, but I think the problem was Cesare Maldini. Never liked him as a coach.
:agree: Adorned by one of the greatest, if not the greatest player to don Azzurri colors.

Let's not exaggerate. They were a very good team, but the best? Really? :lol:

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 1, 2010
:agree: Adorned by one of the greatest, if not the greatest player to don Azzurri colors.

Let's not exaggerate. They were a very good team, but the best? Really? :lol:
Italy 2002 was better imo, the only problem was Trapattoni and the absence of Pirlo(still emerging at the time) and the refs. Baggio should also have been selected.

Del Piero, Totti, Vieri, Maldini, Cannavaro, C. Zanetti, etc.

:heart:

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
first ever footballing memory was watching WC'94 as a nine year old and being transfixed by a guy wearing #10, had a ponytail and played for a team that played in all-blue, my favourite color.

still remember bawling my eyes out when he missed the PK in the final, was absolutely distraught that of all people he was the one who had missed.

dann10

Ho visto Del Piero
Aug 26, 2008
Italy 2002 was better imo, the only problem was Trapattoni and the absence of Pirlo(still emerging at the time) and the refs. Baggio should also have been selected.

Del Piero, Totti, Vieri, Maldini, Cannavaro, C. Zanetti, etc.

:heart:
completely agree. I believe that with an older pirlo, baggio as an experienced leader and more fair refereeing decision our 2002 wc team would have made it to the finals and probably would have won. In my opinion our 2002 team was better than our 06 team (even though our 06 team was fantastic) 2002 with del piero vieri totti inzaghi all in prime. buffon maldini nesta zambrotta cannavaro panucci in defense. gattuso zanetti di livio in mid. Such a great squad. Shame to watch them being on the end of some of the worst refereeing decisions i've ever seen

Jul 1, 2010
the MF was weak, Tommasi Doni Gattuso C. Zanetti was hardly awe-inspiring.
1998's midfield wasn't any better.

completely agree. I believe that with an older pirlo, baggio as an experienced leader and more fair refereeing decision our 2002 wc team would have made it to the finals and probably would have won. In my opinion our 2002 team was better than our 06 team (even though our 06 team was fantastic) 2002 with del piero vieri totti inzaghi all in prime. buffon maldini nesta zambrotta cannavaro panucci in defense. gattuso zanetti di livio in mid. Such a great squad. Shame to watch them being on the end of some of the worst refereeing decisions i've ever seen
Zambrotta was not yet playing fullback at the time.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
first ever footballing memory was watching WC'94 as a nine year old and being transfixed by a guy wearing #10, had a ponytail and played for a team that played in all-blue, my favourite color.

still remember bawling my eyes out when he missed the PK in the final, was absolutely distraught that of all people he was the one who had missed.
Funny enough my memories are exactly the same as yours, only I was two years younger, but was in awe of thhis man with a ponytail running riot (must have been the Bulgaria game looking back on it now).

In my view the 98 side was better than the 2002, you had ADP in his absolute prime (even if he under performed and was injured), Baggio in great form and Vieri coming into his peak, aswell as the likes of Pippo, Chiesa and a backline of Maldini, Nesta, Canna. Di Livio in midfield with Albertini and whoever else. Maldini was just an awful coach who didn't utilise the team he had at his disposal properly.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

I was heartbroken for 2 months. Absolutely heartbroken. Especially after having witnessed him in person in Foxoborugh carrying that team on his back against Nigeria and Spain. And I didn't even mention his performace against Bulgaria in the Semi-Finals.

Point Blank, they don't get to the Finals without him.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
They don't even get close to the final without him, It's the best one man show in a World Cup since Maradona, and hasn't been matched since.

Aug 17, 2007
Funny enough my memories are exactly the same as yours, only I was two years younger, but was in awe of thhis man with a ponytail running riot (must have been the Bulgaria game looking back on it now).

In my view the 98 side was better than the 2002, you had ADP in his absolute prime (even if he under performed and was injured), Baggio in great form and Vieri coming into his peak, aswell as the likes of Pippo, Chiesa and a backline of Maldini, Nesta, Canna. Di Livio in midfield with Albertini and whoever else. Maldini was just an awful coach who didn't utilise the team he had at his disposal properly.
100% :tup:

Italy's squad in 1998 was insane. The Italian football was so strong back then, that even when Zola was the hottest player in England, he didn't get call-ups cause the EPL was a joke comparing to the Serie A. Look even at the GK. Pagliuca, Toldo, Buffon. Amazing GK like Perruzzi and Marchegiani were left home. Ale, Roby, Pippo and Vieri in the attack, Maldini, Nesta, Canna and Di Livio, with Costacurta, Bergomi, Pessotto and Torricelli backing them. The MF wasn't the best, but Maldini had an amazing squad that should have won the cup. The best squad Italy ever had IMO, definitely better than the squad that did won the WC in 2006...but they had Lippi, and that's all the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)