Roberto Baggio set to quit (3 Viewers)

Sep 28, 2002
sooner or later every player has to quit. sooner or later we're all gonna die. but robby, thank you for not being david seaman. and thank you for being roberto baggio.

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
i hated the idea of thinkin that he's gonna retire some day but there is an end 4 everthin :down:

ROBY u will be missed 4 sure !!

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Finally, that day has arrived. And now we are certain Roberto Baggio is going to quit football. The one player who most of us can never ever forget no matter what. The one player who will never fade away.
I really dont know what to say for this guy. Im at such a loss for words. After all, his magic still holds a fresh memory in my mind as my all time favourite football moment when he scored a last minute goal against Nigeria in WC 94.
Baggio has everything. Flair, temperament and a majestic demeanour. We all have been extremely lucky that his era has been part of our lifetime.
Forza Roberto Baggio.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
I don't think he is...
4 the match... who knows... this will depend on how he will feel like.
Anycase so many peaple from soccer or not spoke out to convince him not to do it and yesterday Brescia coach reveled that he could be saying that cause the day he did that interview (17 december) he was very depressed cause the pain was so strong and he wasn't almost able to mouve while now after the breake he is better and in 1 or 2 weeks he may recover. In his opinion Roby may change his mind if his physical problems will leave him alone. Let's see.... IMO he won't but I don't think the last word have been said ;)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
He is 36. But yes this is not the reason why he want to quit. Many players his age like Maldini and Costacurta will go on and 4 him who anycase base his game on skill and not on rapidity or power will be even easier if was not 4 the injures...
The pont is that the knee prolems he had ( he afforted 7 surgeryies) forsed him to run in an unbelanced way and that coused other problems to his back.
Anycase considering all the injures he had playing till 37 years is a superb result!
When 20 he was told that he had to quit 4 the first time, so also if he will quit at the end of season like it looks it will be nearly a miracle...

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
From football Italia

Baggio calls it a day Wednesday 31 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Baggio has ended all doubt surrounding his future by confirming he will hang up his boots at the end of the season.

“This time I really am sure,” said the Divine Ponytail in an interview with the TG1 news. “I will quit in May.”

The 37-year-old had already made this statement, but there was always an element of doubt.

Fans, colleagues and pundits have mounted a campaign to convince him to reconsider, but it seems that scoring his 200th Serie A goal proved the final ambition.

“I hope that I have been a good example for young people during my career,” he continued, “as I never gave in despite many injuries. Football is my passion.”

It therefore seems as if Baggio’s final match as a professional football player will be at the San Siro against his former club Milan on May 16 2004.

The former World Player of the Year has played for seven clubs during his career – Vicenza, Fiorentina, Juventus, Milan, Bologna, Inter and Brescia.

But his international experiences have been tinged with heartbreak, in particular the penalty miss in the 1994 World Cup Final.

“I only managed to stop thinking of that moment after the France ’98 tournament,” he revealed. “It took me four years to exorcise those demons.”

However, there could yet be another chapter of his troubled Azzurri career, as Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed he could call Baggio for the April friendly against Spain.

“I hope that this will happen,” smiled the ‘Divin Codino’. “It would give me a great deal of pleasure to wear the Italy shirt again.”

----------------------------------------------------------

:down:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
An excellent player and an excellent man leaves the fields.

He will be an example to future players.

Is something to admire how at his age...he still shows great skill and passion in the game, but his health is first than anything and he have nothing to prove to anyone.

He was the icon of italian soccer in the last 15 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)