Riffs (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
So far we haven't had a thread on this forum about riffs. So it's about time.

My little list would be something like this.

1. Back in Black - AC/DC
Definetly the coolest riff ever made, combined with Brian Johnson's vocals it makes me want to dance or at least smash something. I can't imagine what Angus was thinking when he created this because I never have and probably never will hear anything like it.

2. One - Metallica
The razorblade riff just before the solo is metal and Metallica at its best. The machine gun guitars perfectly synchronized with the best doublebass of all time makes this furious riff.

3. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
One of the early guitar riffs that still is one of the best. Impressively fast and rythmic riff that really makes me happy.

4. Iron Man - Black Sabbath
No list is complete without this heavy metal classic. A difficult riff that actually makes me scared. :)

5. Master of puppets - Metallica
This riff could just as well have been first but I felt that I might be a bit too biased because the whole song is so good.

6. My favourite mistake - Sheryl Crow A pretty unexpected personal favourite. A slow, smooth guitar that has a happy melancholic sound (however that is possible).

7. Sweet child O' mine - Guns n' roses
Perhaps the most played riff in the world. But still you don't seem to get tired of it.

8. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Pink FLoyd is not famous for their riffs but the beautiful acoustic guitar on Wish you were has to be on my list. Gilmour really can bend like no one else.

9. Whole lotta love - Led Zeppelin
This riff is really great but I'm afraid I put it here mostly because it was so early.

10. Highway to hell - AC/DC

Angus Young's second contribution to this list is not as inventive as Back in black or Thunderstruck but it is a brilliant riff that made one of the greatest rock n' roll songs ever.

Some riffs that didn't make it to the list:
Sabbra Cadabra, Heartbreaker, Layla, Paranoid, Smoke on the water, Hells bells, Daytripper, Bulls on parade, Running with the devil, Green river...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Max

Jul 15, 2003
hmmm...this is a toughy.

10. Come Together- The Beatles
It's a bass riff, but it can be done on guitar.

9. Alive- Pearl Jam
I like it. I don't care what you think.

8. Back in Black- AC/DC
I'm bored of this one, but it's still good.

7. Crazy Train- Black Sabbath
That beginning, leaves me speechless each time.

6. Paranoid Android- Radiohead
Where it breaks into that distorted part.

5. Thunderstruck- AC/DC
Yeah whatever.

4. Aqualung- Jethro Tull
I don't know if many of you know this, but it's good. Easiest to play as well.

3. New Orleans is Sinking- Tragically Hip
This is good also. For some reason, I can't play it fast enough. Many of you have never heard of them. They're very big in Canada though.

2. Kashmir- Led Zeppelin
Two words: the cellos!

1. Black Dog- Led Zeppelin
No explaination needed.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
A riff is simply the rythmic guitar play of a song.
Eeh... I wouldn't put it that easy, I would say that it's a lick repeated through the song, wich I guess in theory is different put in reality pretty much the same. :)

I'll make a list later.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Eeh... I wouldn't put it that easy, I would say that it's a lick repeated through the song, wich I guess in theory is different put in reality pretty much the same. :)
    Sure that's a better definition.

River

Jun 15, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

I'll make a list later.
    Yeah its hard to word. I think of it as a continual lick :D

And I too will make a list

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    Are You Gonna Go My Way- Lenny Kravitz, who just recently sold-out in a GAP commercial with the Sex and the City girl. Don't get me wrong, it's a good riff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)