Requiem for a dream (1 Viewer)

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    :LOL:

miss dubai its about 4 people, and it shows the problems that they go through in the space of about a year. its very interesting. dont watch it with your parents though.

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    the four characters are

1. an old woman- maybe in her late 50s early 60s
    2. her son- 20 or so
    3. his girlfriend
    4. the guy's friend, and fellow toker. the only african american in the group :D

there is sex in the movie although it has nothing to do with the main story

erik watch it

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    OMG i didn't know you guys have a thread about this movie !
    i love it
    love it
    love it
    love it
    only it takes some balls to watch a movie like that i couldn't get over it for a week ....
    Trainspotting is another one i love

and last night i finally finished watching Human Traffic
    it's a good movie to watch especially if you've done E before
    it's like happy and friendly
    kinda made me wanna roll though:(
    i don't know who did the movie but it has awesome camera angles and it's all like exaturated
    wicked cool!

josh, watch it :)

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    lol@vicky. im kinda tired of good movies that have to do with drugs- trainspotting, blow, requiem,

you heard of the new indie film called 21 grams?

human traffic- ill put it on my list :D

requiem took me 2 days to get over. you do e though???

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    yup heard of it
    i think it was nominated for oscars or something like that ?
    definetly gonna watch it :)

i don't do it b/c i can't get any. which is a good thing. :)
    but i have done it and had the best time in my life

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++
    its kinda like crossroads with britney. you should like it.
    :LOL::rofl::howler: Fli, take note, this is the difference between classy cynicism and being a prick :LOL:

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    Based on the novel by Hubert Selby Jr., this gritty drama concerns four people trapped by their addictions. Harry (Jared Leto), and his best friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) are impoverished heroin addicts living in Coney Island, NY, while Harry's girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly) is a fellow addict trying to distance herself from her wealthy father. Harry dreams of scoring a pound of smack, from which he could make enough money to open a clothing boutique with Marion, but so far he and his friends can barely scrape by supporting their own habits. Meanwhile, Harry's mother Sara (Ellen Burstyn), who spends her days watching television, is told she has the opportunity to appear on her favorite game show; wanting to lose enough weight to fit into her favorite red dress, she visits a sleazy doctor who gives her a prescription for amphetamines. Soon Sara has a drug habit of her own that is spiraling out of control. Requiem for a Dream was directed by Darren Aronofsky, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Selby; it was Aronofsky's second feature, following his acclaimed independent film Pi. -- Mark Deming

allmovie.com

On the surface, Requiem for a Dream appears to be the next in a long line of junkie movies, and even on that level, it's one of the most visceral depictions of addiction ever put on film. But at its core, Darren Aranofsky's sophomore effort is a tragic fable, the story of four characters who haven't got the will to be happy with what they have. But sympathy isn't something Aranofsky ever asks his audience to feel for the four hopeless addicts. Rather, he forcefully imposes the characters and their stories on the audience with the intent of leaving an impression. And leave an impression he does. One walks away from the film with an indelible mark on the psyche that isn't necessarily pleasant but certainly testifies to the realism and intensity of the film. As if the abilities of Aranofsky aren't enough, the film's cast shines in some of the most underrated performances of 2000. Jennifer Connelly delivers, as expected, in a role that most wouldn't have the guts to even consider. Jared Leto proves himself to be more than just a pretty face and capable of taking on leading-man roles. Marlon Wayans, easily the biggest surprise, is incredible, superbly cast against type and proving himself to be highly skilled as a dramatic performer. But it is Ellen Burstyn who deserves the most acclaim. In what may be her finest performance to date, Burstyn effortlessly portrays her character's decline at the hands of loneliness, false hope, and prescription medication. Nominated, but ultimately beat out, Burstyn's performance is worthy of a thousand Oscars. -- Matthew Tobey

allmovie.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)