Recording a live stream (1 Viewer)

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I'm hoping @Marty or someone will be able to help me. I'm looking for a way to record a live stream and save it to my hard drive to watch again. I assumed it'd be fairly straight forward but I haven't had any success. There's probably a great program out there for exactly this but I haven't found it yet.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
I'm hoping @Marty or someone will be able to help me. I'm looking for a way to record a live stream and save it to my hard drive to watch again. I assumed it'd be fairly straight forward but I haven't had any success. There's probably a great program out there for exactly this but I haven't found it yet.
Two good solutions, in order of (my) preference:

1) Open Broadcaster Software
2) FFSplit

Both are free. I find OBS easier to work with.

So instead of broadcasting something you record it to harddrive instead, it's in the settings. I'm using OBS when I'm streaming here. If you're having issues setting it up let me know and I'll help you.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010

2) FFSplit

So instead of broadcasting something you record it to harddrive instead, it's in the settings. I'm using OBS when I'm streaming here. If you're having issues setting it up let me know and I'll help you.
Does it count as an upload?

Here, there's a limit it isn't free.

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
Does it count as an upload?

Here, there's a limit it isn't free.
I'm not sure what you mean. These programs capture your screen (or parts of it, depends on how you set it up) and audio.

You can then either re-stream the stream or save it to your hard drive. Or both.

Just a little extra info though. You need a pretty powerful CPU in order to use these programs on a high quality stream. For a flawless 720p recording you need a pretty good CPU. Out of my 4 computers only my Intel i5-3570k can manage it.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
I meant if you actually load the stream a second time by using the program. It's alright though, if it captures the screen I guess it doesn't.

I have an Intel i7-3610QM, would it work?

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
I meant if you actually load the stream a second time by using the program. It's alright though, if it captures the screen I guess it doesn't.

I have an Intel i7-3610QM, would it work?
Yeah you don't load the stream a second time. Play around with OBS a bit, you'll get a hang of it shortly. I might do video guide later, need to do some coding this afternoon though.

That CPU will work swell :)

OP
The Curr

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
  • Thread Starter #10

2) FFSplit

Thanks a million. I'll have a go with OBS and let you know if I need help.

My processor is a "Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz". How's that?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like OBS will do the job. It really easy to use too. Nice one, Marty!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)