Rear fear for Italy (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Well Pancaro isn't in the squad because of injury + he's a left back while Panu's a right back. It's only typical of Trap to opt for the tried and tested players, and unfortunately Oddo, Ferrari, Pirlo and Fiore don't really fall into that category.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I am not sure I understand the response to this great post by Dp forever as it is really worrying that maybe for the first time in a very long time, Italy's weak link is the defence

We are not exactly talking about on their day, we are talking about on current form and lets face it Buffon has made more errors this season that in his previous 2 combined

Panucci is a complete liability while Cannavaro has had his poorest season in years and he is apparently not fit yet

Zambrotta is gr8 going forward and whilst he is tactically astute he is no great defender either

While Nesta seems to get injured at the wrong times for both club and country so to dismiss the article as bull is way beyond my comprehension

The understudies do not exactly inspire do they?

In attack if Dp misfires, there is Cassano to take his place

If Vieri gets injured then there is Corradi and Dv

In midfield there is always Fiore, Pirlo, Gatusso waiting to come on for any misfiring players and Zambrotta can be swithced to the right of midfield

Can you honestly tell me that hand on heart the defence has such luxuries?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
it's true as some of you said , we have the best defenders in the world , it's Enough to mention ( Nesta , Cannavaro , Zambo )

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I am not sure I understand the response to this great post by Dp forever as it is really worrying that maybe for the first time in a very long time, Italy's weak link is the defence

We are not exactly talking about on their day, we are talking about on current form and lets face it Buffon has made more errors this season that in his previous 2 combined

Panucci is a complete liability while Cannavaro has had his poorest season in years and he is apparently not fit yet

Zambrotta is gr8 going forward and whilst he is tactically astute he is no great defender either

While Nesta seems to get injured at the wrong times for both club and country so to dismiss the article as bull is way beyond my comprehension

The understudies do not exactly inspire do they?

In attack if Dp misfires, there is Cassano to take his place

If Vieri gets injured then there is Corradi and Dv

In midfield there is always Fiore, Pirlo, Gatusso waiting to come on for any misfiring players and Zambrotta can be swithced to the right of midfield

Can you honestly tell me that hand on heart the defence has such luxuries?
It's more than noticeable that the defence isn't as strong as it has been in recent times as Panucci, who I actually think will suffice, doesn't exactly make you feel confident, but as far as I'm concerned people are only talking about Italy's defence because it doesn't live up to the sky-high standards the Azzurri of past have set, but when you look at the other teams, their defences aren't that much better, if better at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)