real target gigi!! (2 Viewers)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I don't think it's one whole class. Buffon might me slightly better than Cassillas.

I don't think any world class goalkeeper will go to Real to sit on the bench.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Wednesday 9 June, 2004 | Football Italia

Buffon rejects Real call

Gianluigi Buffon has revealed interest from Real Madrid, but insists he won’t leave Turin anytime soon.

“Real have been enquiring after me for years now,” explained the Italy goalkeeper, “but I don’t think that my situation will push me to leave Juventus – not now and not in a year’s time either.”

The shot-stopper hit the big time as a teenager at Parma, then he became the world’s most expensive goalie at £30m.

His fortunes at Juve have been mixed, but Buffon remains a prime transfer target for the Spaniards and it was this week rumoured that Real were making a new bid.

“I have a long contract with Juventus,” concluded the Azzurri star, “and I know this club has faith in me, so there is no reason to look elsewhere.”

He becomes the second Serie A player to publicly reject a move to Real Madrid this week, as Emerson also made it perfectly clear he would only leave Roma for Juventus.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
From abt a week ago...

REAL DENY BUFFON APPROACH

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has denied the club are lining up Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon as a replacement for Iker Casillas.

Stories in the Spanish press suggested the club had become unhappy with Casillas, and had identified the Italian number one as their prime target.

However, Casillas is a fans' favourite so Perez, anxious to make sure the rumours do not damage his re-election campaign, had the club issue a firm rebuttal.

A club statement read: "The president of Real Madrid wants to firmly deny certain information that has appeared in some newspapers in respect of the interest in Gianluigi Buffon.

"Florentino Perez has said on various occasions that Iker Casillas is one of the best in the world, if not the best. This position is perfectly balanced and covered by the squad at Real Madrid."

Casillas, who is with the Spain national team preparing for the European Championships, remains unmoved by the story.

"I am not at all interested in Madrid at the moment," he said. "Now I am thinking about the Spain team and everything to do with Real Madrid is put to one side, it doesn't worry me at all."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)