Real Madrid coming to Malaysia (but not Singapore sadly :( ) (1 Viewer)

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
An abstract from our newspaper "Today" on Fri, June 27, 2003:

Singapore Loses out as Real opts for Malaysia

Once again, a world-class football event has slipped through Singapore's grasp and into the hands of its neighbour across the causeway.

Local football fans will be disappointed to learn that yesterday, nine-time European champion Real Madrid decided to ditch Singapore for a friendly match in Kuala Lumpur on Aug 10 instead.

According to sources, the Football Association of SIngapore (FAS) plans to soften the blow by lining up Argentine giant Boca Juniors for a friendly match on Aug 17.

On Monday, Hongkong daily "The Sun" claimed that Hongkong and Singapore were both pitching a bid to the newly crowned Spanish champion.

Then on Wednesday, Spanish sports daily "Marca" confirmed that Real Madrid would come to Singapore on Aug 11 as part of its Asian Tour.

Yesterday, though, hopes of Real playing at Kallang National Stadium were dashed when the FAS confirmed taht the Spaniards would not visit Singapore.

"The FAS was not in talks with Real Madrid," said a FAS spokesman yesterday. "But we are constantly looking at possibilities to host world-class teams."

But with foreign media reporting otherwise, surely there couldn't have been smoke without fire?

According to sources, there were discussions between Real and Singapore but the move hit a snag due to three factors: proce, date and venue.

"The US$3.5 million asking price of Real Madrid is just too much for Singapore to pay," said a source.

"The proposed date of Aug 11 is not ideal as it would be just 2 days after the national day parade which is held at the National Stadium this year.

"There is also not enough time to dismantle all the NDP fixtures and get the pitch ready for a world-class team like Real Madrid."

This is the third world-class football event that Malaysia has pipped Singapore to over the past year.

Last May, Brazil had picked Kuala Lumpur over Singapore to set up its training camp in preparation for the 2002 World Cup finals.

Then this year, Singapore lost the hosting rights of both the World 5s Futsal Championship and the FA Premiere League Asia Cup featuring Newcastla United, Chelsea and Birmingham, to Malaysia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man, there goes my chance of actually seeing Real play live in my country :down::down::down:

*DJ don't laugh* :p

I may be thinking of going to KL to watch this. DJ, do you know any info about the ticketing, place, etc....Pls let me know :)

-S-

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -S- ] ++
*DJ don't laugh* :p

-S-

haha :p ;)

I may be thinking of going to KL to watch this. DJ, do you know any info about the ticketing, place, etc....Pls let me know :)

-S-
will try to :)

wait, this would mean beckham would be comiing again? :down:

OP
Sarah_old

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by dj juve ] ++
    haha :p ;)
    :irritate:

will try to :)
    Thanks Deej :) Do you think they'll be playing at Shah Alam?

++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    btw,i'm considering going to KL as well for the match:cool:
    Hey that's cool! I plan to go too and my fiance agrees to accompany me if I can get tickets :cool:

go away you kiasu freaks
    Come and make us :boxing::p

-S-

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    Come and make us :boxing::p

-S-
    you people will probably get lost in such a BIG place...;)

Thanks Deej :) Do you think they'll be playing at Shah Alam?

-S-
    even the singapore NT dont deserve to play in that stadium...will definitely be played in Bukit jalil...the traffic's gonna be great :wallbang:

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    -S-,
    if your place is too far from singapore,then...:down:

but if you can manage to go and see them..good for you.

or at the airport...
    trust me.
    from personal experience....
    airport is magnificent too!
    some pictures and autographs....are worth...

Aug 1, 2003
    they were supposed to come, but Malaysians find their cost too much or something like that :rolleyes:

all that hardwork on the "Juve 3-1 Madrid, AC Milan 1-0 Madrid" banners for nothing :groan:

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    :LOL: ths is old....? :LOL:

well, i heard that real asked for like 3mil or summink for just one appearance :fero:

robbing ppl from their hard-earned money :yuck: as if they dont have money to begin with......

OP
    Sarah_old

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++
    -S-,
    if your place is too far from singapore,then...:down:

but if you can manage to go and see them..good for you.

or at the airport...
    trust me.
    from personal experience....
    airport is magnificent too!
    some pictures and autographs....are worth...
    In fact, I'm never too far away from Singapore :angel::D Not that far from Malaysia too...but anywho....there was a change of plans because of the high cost like what Sally said....in short they didn't come at all :down:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    bah, who needs em anyway. I'd prefer Udinese coming here anytime than Madrid
    Real Madrid are going to prove that they are the best team in the world this season when they win the la liga and the CL.
    and like you'd prefer Udinese on Real,i'd prefer Real on any other team in the world any day of the week

PS:Arsenal excluded:D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    nor am i a fan of them and i will never be!!
    but with a players like Ronaldo,Raul,Figo,R.Carlos,Beckham,Casillas and especially Zidane who is defenitly the best player of his generation,you'll have to respect them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)