Reading Guitar Tabs (1 Viewer)

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
Gray, although i agree that Tommy emmanuel is better than john maher, you could have at least mentioned a guitarist who is up there with the greats. ie. Steve Vai

i went to his concert here in melbourne back in 2000. we waited outside from early morning and he ended up letting a bunch of us into rehearsal. i shit you not, it was the best thing i have ever seen. this guy was telling the sound engineer what to do just off the top of his head and he was pinging every sound perfect. the people who were working on tour with him were explaining that no one in the world is as perfect and professional as steve vai.

after seeing him play, i realised how sorry i was for not getting lessons.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
no one in the world is as perfect and professional as steve vai.
Vais' technique is certainly spectacular, but I think his note choice and songwriting could be better, that's what really seperate the greats from the Gods IMO.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
yeah, you are correct to a certain extent. i believe thats why he is a solo artist. Recent albums have had him singing some songs, and i agree that in a band, with lyrics etc...Vai isnt as strong as others. You add his Sex & Religion album from back in 1993 to that, even though i thought it was still good, and it backs up the statement.

But Vai's strengths are solo albums, and i believe that no one can really rival him in that department.

but then again, its different strokes for different folks. Thats the beauty about music, its how it grabs your emotions. Ones emoitions differ to another.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
I had the same question on my mind now, and I wanted to say "great minds think alike" but oh well... :stress:;)

Anyway Torkel, if he is only great, who are the gods of guitar? Apart from Jimmy Page ;)

btw, cause this is guitar thread, can you guys write here list of your favs guitar players?
Or the best - well, the best doesnt mean our favs, cause I know how great Hendrix was, but I dont like him.

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #35
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    Are you reading that my post part after part? :howler::D;)?
    eh? :confused:

++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    He rubs me wrong way - that's what is bad with him.
    He's a nice guy! just alcoholic and drugs, no biggie ;) and he's a terrific song-writer

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    You're reaplying to my old post, like you're reading sentence after sentence man ;)

I DO NOT LIKE HIM - how should I say that, to make you understand that? Dont try to convince me, cause you're wasting your time :);)

btw: YOUR list please :D

I'm going now, see you :)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -CSD- ] ++
    if he's only great, then who are the 'Gods' of guitar?
    Well, if I was to make a list it would be of course my guitar Gods, as Adrian said it's very individual.

The first people I think about are Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix. Those two are for me above all the others.

There are others that are close, Jeff Beck, Al Di Meola, Duane Allmann and IMO James Hetfield, but that might just be me.

Hendrix and Page could do it all, riff, solo, they were innovators and a huge part of why so many people are playing electric guitar today. Many have equaled their technique, none have matched their talent and songwriting. IMO.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    About Vai and all the other guitarists like him. Yeah they're great at playing the guitar and no one is as good as them but I rather see and listen to guitarists-songwriters who may not be the greatest guitarists but write great songs and can play a melody instead of just riffs.

Imo the best guitarist of the 90s is John Squire. Now there's a great guitarist and songwriter.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    I like Vai very much.

I thought about sth else now: I think you know such guy Yngwie J. Malmsteen.
    I think I talked about him with Hydde earlier.
    What do you think about this guy?

Personally I dont like him playing. He concentrates so much on technique of playing, that he lost spirit.
    He plays great, but I dont feel any positive emotions, when I listen to him, I feel indifferent to his play.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    That's how I feel towards all guitarists like Vai etc... I wish I knew how to play like them but then again I rather play like a normal person and being able to write good songs. Not sure if it's clear what I'm trying to say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)