Ranieri discarded by Valencia (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Ranieri discarded by Valencia
Friday, 25 February 2005

Valencia CF have sacked coach Claudio Ranieri following the team's exit from the UEFA Cup and poor run of domestic form.

Second spell
The decision was reached after an emergency board meeting at the Spanish club this morning. The 53-year-old Ranieri arrived in the summer for his second spell in charge at the Mestalla, following four years at Chelsea FC that culminated in finishing second in the English Premiership and reaching the UEFA Champions League semi-finals last season.

Steaua surprise
Under Ranieri, Valencia have struggled to match their own successes of 2003/04 when they won the Spanish title and the UEFA Cup - although they did lift the UEFA Super Cup last August with a 2-1 defeat of FC Porto. The club have not won for six games in the Primera División and, in last night's UEFA Cup match at FC Steaua Bucuresti, the holders surrendered a two-goal first-leg lead before losing 4-3 on penalties

No resignation
Speaking last night, Ranieri had said: "Resign? I won't do it because I'm not the sort of person to give up. I will carry on fighting. I don't think we have deserved to lose our recent games, but we have done and we have to carry on because sooner or later the bad run will come to an end."

Cup triumph
The Italian first led Valencia from 1997-99, guiding them to a Copa del Rey triumph and qualification for the Champions League. His return was sealed after he came to a compensation agreement with Chelsea, where he had been manager since September 2000, last May.

Plenty of experience
Ranieri has also coached Calcio Campania, Cagliari Calcio, SSC Napoli and AC Fiorentina - where he claimed the Coppa Italia and the Italian Super Cup. After first leaving the Mestalla he had an eight-month spell at Club Atlético de Madrid but was unable to prevent the club being relegated to the Spanish second division for the first time in more than 60 years.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I watched Last game match against Steaua i was in the Stadium...

Steaua played some great football, they had to win 2-0 after they lost 0-2 in Valencia, and they did it....with Penalties in the end...

Ranieri thought it's gonna be an easy match, Benching Di Vaio,Fiore,Aimar etc.....

Anyhow i really Like Ranieri, as i met him Personally and he's a great person...

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
He is very kind. I have seen many interviews and other stuff with him. He looks so kind all the time :) I feel sorry for him..

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, hey ... for all the folks calling for Capello's head ... well, now that Ranieri is available...?!? :howler:

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
Raneri brought entire colony of italian players with him (same like Benitez with spanish players at Liverpool) which I consider a mistake
Good manager must use what is there in the club and not bring so many players of same nationality
Now new valencia coach will probibly show exit dors to coradi and fiore, di vaio should stay he had some good games
Valencia is a great team I liked their way of play before Ranieri came and ruined everything

"Resign? I won't do it because I'm not the sort of person to give up. I will carry on fighting. I don't think we have deserved to lose our recent games, but we have done and we have to carry on because sooner or later the bad run will come to an end."
Well too bad you should have done it few months ago when you still had the chance

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I feel sorry for the guy but in truth he fvcked up Valencia. A team with players such as Canizarez, Ayala, Baraja, Vicente and Aimar in their ranks shouldn't be struggling like Valencia were under Ranieri.

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Well you could see this coming from miles away. Please stay away from Juve Claudio.
who said that anyone will accept that Ranieri comes to Juve !!! we have Capello already

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Whew, I feel sorry for this guy, but I think he should be sacked.
I can't believe that Valencia that has so many quality players r now 6th in the league and got kicked out of UEFA Cup. Ranieri ****ed up the attack system of their team, using squad rotation time and time again despite having Di Vaio and Aimar as their better players. IMO both of them should be playing every game, yet Ranieri switches his team after every game. no wonder Valencia were so turbulent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)