Radiohead's new album costs... whatever you want to pay (1 Viewer)

Geof

May 14, 2004
The Guardian
Radiohead have made a surprise announcement on their website today: the band's long-awaited new album is coming out on October 10, and it will be available digitally from their website for whatever price fans want to pay.

The OK Computer and Kid A band, who completed the terms of their contract with label EMI in 2005, had been rumoured to be planning an unorthodox release for their seventh studio album, and they have not disappointed. A physical "discbox" version of In Rainbows - consisting of the new album on CD and two vinyl records, plus a second CD with more songs - will be available for purchase for £40 including postage, but the digital download of the album simply has a question mark listed as the price. When you click though to pre-order, a message tells would-be purchasers: "It's up to you."

News of the album, which at the moment is only available for sale from the band's website, hit the internet at midnight in a post by guitarist Jonny Greenwood on Radiohead's blog:

"Hello everyone,

"Well, the new album is finished, and it's coming out in ten days;

"We've called it In Rainbows.

"Love from us all.

"Jonny."

Anticipation for the new album was boosted last week when the band posted a mysterious set of symbols on their blogs. Sharp-eyed fans quickly determined that the odd hieroglyphs delivered coded messages about the upcoming album - but it was still not expected to see the light of day until 2008.

The full tracklisting of the album is as follows:

15 Step
Bodysnatchers
Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
All I Need
Faust Arp
Reckoner
House of Cards
Jigsaw falling Into Place
Videotape

Those who buy In Rainbow digitally can download it on Oct 10, but those who order the "discbox" have been told shipping will begin "on or before" December 3.
:tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
can I buy it for 1 cent?
Yes, but they will deduct about a pound or less from the card transaction as well.

I've waited four long years for this to come out! Disappointed that some of the songs didn't make the album.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
This is a pretty neat marketing move.I think most dieheard fans would end up paying the regular CD amount for it.I would do that if one of my favourite bands does something like this.Forza The scary eyed Yorke man.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

This is a good move, marketing wise, but also it's a good move for the consumer fans. It's good to see some of the bigger stars in the music industry are doing something about the high price of CD's, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails has urged his fans to download his new album freely via p2p because he feels the prices for new CDs are ridiculous. And they are too high.

Fu*k RIAA!

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
Jan 14, 2005
Load of crap. Buy it digitally for whatever you want but if you want the cd you'll need to pay £40? No matter what extra shite they've added in there that's a rip off. Put the CD for sale for £10 and the digital downloads free and I'll be impressed.

OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    Load of crap. Buy it digitally for whatever you want but if you want the cd you'll need to pay £40? No matter what extra shite they've added in there that's a rip off. Put the CD for sale for £10 and the digital downloads free and I'll be impressed.
    Yeah well you get something for your money. 2 albums, on CD and on Vinyl, booklets, artwork, pictures, all in a hardback book and slipcase.

I don't plan to buy that, but it makes sense. Huge fans are happy to pay 40£ for it, and others can just pay what they want for just the songs.

Now, two remarks:

1- This system is very nice, but can only work for very known bands like them. How is a beginning band supposed to even bear their costs like that?

2- It's a good commercial for on-line buying of music. I never bought music online, it will probably be the first time I'll do it.

3- It's a nice blow for all the music majors. If other known bands follow this example, we might see things moving at last!!

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Yeah well you get something for your money. 2 albums, on CD and on Vinyl, booklets, artwork, pictures, all in a hardback book and slipcase.
    Not to mention a new vinly record alone costs anything from 15£ to 30£.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003

I don't plan to buy that, but it makes sense. Huge fans are happy to pay 40£ for it, and others can just pay what they want for just the songs.

Now, two remarks:

1- This system is very nice, but can only work for very known bands like them. How is a beginning band supposed to even bear their costs like that?

2- It's a good commercial for on-line buying of music. I never bought music online, it will probably be the first time I'll do it.

3- It's a nice blow for all the music majors. If other known bands follow this example, we might see things moving at last!!
    Just on that first point, bands make very little money off of album sales. Small bands in particular are lucky to make printing costs back. Sites like myspace, which let bans like that grow a fanbase without incurring distribution costs make for a business model which is at least the equal of the conventional system.

Early money comes from playing live, the audience for which is fed by internet-based marketing. Currently, bands which start out like this tend to be looking for a record deal, but the day may come when that's not the case.

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    Just on that first point, bands make very little money off of album sales. Small bands in particular are lucky to make printing costs back. Sites like myspace, which let bans like that grow a fanbase without incurring distribution costs make for a business model which is at least the equal of the conventional system.

Early money comes from playing live, the audience for which is fed by internet-based marketing. Currently, bands which start out like this tend to be looking for a record deal, but the day may come when that's not the case.
    Ok, I can agree with that. Maybe I'm just not op-to-date enough on online music.

my idea is that a small band needs to be signed by a major to get access to radio stations, album distributions,... But MySpace probably makes up for that.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Ok, I can agree with that. Maybe I'm just not op-to-date enough on online music.

my idea is that a small band needs to be signed by a major to get access to radio stations, album distributions,... But MySpace probably makes up for that.
    Not yet - MySpace is currently a much better alternative to the situation in the past when an unsigned band would have no exposure other than word of mouth from whatever small gigs they could scrounge. The big question is whether you can go from there to a situation when the record deal doesn't really look attractive - there's enough exposure online that radio stations will play your music, iTunes will stock it... that would kill record companies, so they're not eager to let it happen - hence the best bands on MySpace are getting signed fast.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Some Radiohead fans complain about bit rate for digital album

10 hours ago

TORONTO - Hailed as revolutionaries for their digital prowess last month, Radiohead's innovative download offer is now being derided by some fans.

Message boards dedicated to the Brit band are alight with complaints over the bit rate for the new album, "In Rainbows," available digitally on Wednesday.

Bit rate determines the audio quality and how much space an MP3 file takes up on a computer or MP3 player.

An e-mail sent to fans who registered to buy the album says "In Rainbows" will be encoded at 160 kbps - higher than the default iTunes rate of 128 kbps but not high enough for some fans.

Music files can be found on the Net at bit rates as high as 320 kbps or as "lossless" files, which is the highest, uncompressed digital format.

Some messages on websites www.Radiohead.com and www.ateaseweb.com complained that Radiohead should have indicated the audio quality on the order page, which encouraged fans to set whatever price they liked for the album.

"I just wish they'd given all the details when the order page went up, so people could adjust their prices accordingly," wunderhorn1 says at the Radiohead message board www.ateaseweb.com.

"They should have a Lossless download option. Very true, 160k is not worth paying for," says Link23.

Over at Radiohead.com, a fan identified as "Dug" begs to differ: "You can't hear the difference between a good MP3 and a CD - 160 kbps should be just fine."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about you but I'd feel like a big dumbass had I payed a full CD price for a 160kb MP3. By today's standards that bitrate is really unnaceptable and the least they could have done was mention it, before you go pay for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)