Racist Chants By Spanish Fans (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Erm.. what? I doubt he has the authority to end the game whenever he wants to...
he doesn't have the authority to do so, and as controversial as it would have been, it's about bloody time to make a stand. I don't know what they could've done if one of the captains gathered his men and just boycotted the game

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

Erm.. what? I doubt he has the authority to end the game whenever he wants to...
Actually it happened once with Barcelona few years ago. It was a spanish cup game. Barca had many players off to international duty and many injured. The stadium was empty because the spanish FA refused to delay the match to another date. So then before even the game had started, Luis Enrique(cap), walked with his team to the dressing room.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
he doesn't have the authority to do so, and as controversial as it would have been, it's about bloody time to make a stand. I don't know what they could've done if one of the captains gathered his men and just boycotted the game
They couldn't have done anything but there would be repercussions I bet. There is a responsibility to the people who bought tickets (not all fans are racist after all) as well as the tv audience, advertising money etc..

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ramin ] ++

Actually it happened once with Barcelona few years ago. It was a spanish cup game. Barca had many players off to international duty and many injured. The stadium was empty because the spanish FA refused to delay the match to another date. So then before even the game had started, Luis Enrique(cap), walked with his team to the dressing room.
Barca were down to 9 outfield players and 2 keepers because of injuries and international duty. The club refused to play the fixture. They were fined heavily, and banned from the cup for a period.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
They couldn't have done anything but there would be repercussions I bet. There is a responsibility to the people who bought tickets (not all fans are racist after all) as well as the tv audience, advertising money etc..
fair enough, but in an ideal world... :moan:

OP
king Ale

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
  • Thread Starter #27
    Aragones Refuses To Condemn Racist Chanting
    11/18/2004 11:54:00 AM
    Spain coach Luis Aragones refused to criticise those guilty of racist chanting during last night’s clash with England.
    Three England players were targeted for abuse by the Bernabeu support, and when repeatedly asked after the match if he would like to take the opportunity to condemn the chanting, Aragones simply said "No comment."

He added: "I am only interested in talking about football. I have always said it is something to do with my conscience."
    ---------
    PFA chief Gordon Taylor believes England's players should have walked off the pitch during last night's friendly defeat away to Spain following the racist chanting from the home fans.
    Ashley Cole and Shaun Wright-Phillips in particular were subjected to disgusting abuse from a significant section of the Spanish crowd during the 1-0 defeat in Madrid.

Taylor feels it would have been appropriate for the players to walk off the pitch in order to set an example.

He said: "My members were being humiliated.

"The message should have come from the FA directors to say we will take responsibility and take them off."

He added: "We have to say ’enough is enough’ and set an example. It’s about human dignity.

"We should have set an example in that the game is more important than winning or losing."

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Dude, what do you mean?
    no i just didnt understand your post,but now i do:angel:

I remember when they did that in Lazio with Erikson in charge. Then they bought Liverani, even though he's italian, but he's got a dark skin, and also Dabo i think to make things better.
    i thought you were saying here that Dabo was italian.

OP
    king Ale

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
  • Thread Starter #29

I remember when they did that in Lazio with Erikson in charge. Then they bought Liverani, even though he's italian, but he's got a dark skin, and also Dabo i think to make things better.
    nothing's changed yet.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
    I watched this game and was absolutely sickened, what really annoyed me tho was the fact that they (Spanish FA) were actually trying to deny it actually happened, for example I saw a Interview with Xabi Alonso afterwards, in which he was saying that he 'couldnt hear any racist chanting', I mean for crying out loud you could see (and hear) that the english players could quite easily hear the chanting, I guess the spanish players are just hard of hearing?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
    ...for example I saw a Interview with Xabi Alonso afterwards, in which he was saying that he 'couldnt hear any racist chanting', I mean for crying out loud you could see (and hear) that the english players could quite easily hear the chanting...
    Rio Ferdinand is supposed to have sat down on the bench after being substituted, heard the jeering for the first time, and asked "How long's that being going on?", before asking when his next drugs test was. It doesn't excuse anything, but players can be too focused on the game to notice crowd chants.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The only way this kind of behavior is going to get weeded out is by public awareness and peer pressure. This is why I also think the wrong answer is to condemn all the Spaniards. In actuality, the only way I rationally see to eradicate this scourge is to ensure other Spaniards have a voice and can shame the rest of their compatriots for their atrocious and unacceptable behavior.

I honestly don't think tactics like walking off the pitch and calling the match are going to be nearly as effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)