Quitting smoking (16 Viewers)

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
It's impossible because you want it to be impossible. Because you are undecided. You don't know when to stop and when not to.

And because also you can't convince yourself and you enjoy it.
I haven't thought about quitting for some time now. It's not the same every day. For example today, I have been up since 9am and I only smoked 1 in the car when I went out. I don't smoke at home. Tonight if I'll go watch Germany in some bar, then I can't imagine myself having a beer without smoking a cigarette. It's not the same for me.

I admit I enjoy smoking a lot, especially while I'm drinking with my friends or after dinner.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I'm sure you'll enjoy the lung cancer you'll have at 40. :tup: :D
You make it sound like I'm proud of it or something. Well, I'm not. But you still have to die with something. If it's not lung cancer, then it can be any other decease, not just because of cigarettes.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Exactly, and that's why I see it as a weakness in smokers.
Were you ever a proper smoker? Meaning smoking a pack a day, for at least a year or two? Because if not, all this coming from you is bullshit.

I've been smoking for 10 years and after the inital 5 years, I've stoped completelly for 2.5 years. I'm smoking for the last couple of years now. So I know what it's like to try and quit and actually quit for a longer period of time. It wasn't too difficult for me, I actually pulled it off quite easily, but a lot of things need to click. Mainly you need to be in a good period of your life, because then you won't have enough time to think of cigarettes and you'll enjoy other things in life. But if you're stuck in a rut, girl troubles, work troubles, etc. it's that much difficult. It's not because cigarettes will make problems easier, it's just that you have enough on your mind, you can't bother to think about "to smoke or not to smoke", you just do it.

It really depends from person to person, it's not impossible to stop, but it's not as easy as some people tend to think. And if you see it as a weakness, you obviously haven't got a clue about what you're talking about. It's an addiction like any other, actually one of the most difficult to quit, and it takes something to get rid of it.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
It's pretty easy V, it's not easy to quit because you enjoy it and in your head you're hesitating or undecided and you are unsure of whether to stop or continue. You're in between.

Some people are addicted to red wine, some can't eat anything without adding salt to the food, others are addicted to Cocaine, Shisha etc... Cigarettes isn't any tougher addiction to the stuff that I mentioned... If you're fully convinced you can easily stop. That's a fact. It's all in your head.

I don't believe in the "Oh you don't know, my body needs nicotine" "Oh you have no idea how it is, a club or a glass of beer without a smoke doesn't work", I find this pretty silly and lame excuse.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Also I have a problem with people smoking in public areas/places. If you want to die early or suffer from cancer lungs ASAP then do it in a closed room and enjoy your smoke as much as you want... But when I'm eating in a restaurant enjoying my food for example I'd rather enjoy my meal without any clouds coming towards my forehead.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Were you ever a proper smoker? Meaning smoking a pack a day, for at least a year or two? Because if not, all this coming from you is bullshit.

I've been smoking for 10 years and after the inital 5 years, I've stoped completelly for 2.5 years. I'm smoking for the last couple of years now. So I know what it's like to try and quit and actually quit for a longer period of time. It wasn't too difficult for me, I actually pulled it off quite easily, but a lot of things need to click. Mainly you need to be in a good period of your life, because then you won't have enough time to think of cigarettes and you'll enjoy other things in life. But if you're stuck in a rut, girl troubles, work troubles, etc. it's that much difficult. It's not because cigarettes will make problems easier, it's just that you have enough on your mind, you can't bother to think about "to smoke or not to smoke", you just do it.

It really depends from person to person, it's not impossible to stop, but it's not as easy as some people tend to think. And if you see it as a weakness, you obviously haven't got a clue about what you're talking about. It's an addiction like any other, actually one of the most difficult to quit, and it takes something to get rid of it.
I smoked for exactly 12 years and I was never below a pack a day. I never tried quitting.
Some 2-3 months ago I had so much shit inside me I could almost drawn inside it so I decided to quit. I knew that I won't be able to do it at once since the moment I'd feel better I'll start smoking regularly again, so I decided to do it gradually and smoke less.
From 20 to 15, to 10, to 5 and in the last week I smoke 2-3 a day. Yesterday and today I only smoked 1, and it happened after lunch. It wasn't easy, so whenever I felt that I need a cigarette I just said to myself, hold on for 2 more hours. The knowledge that I was gonna light a cigarette anyway, made it easier for me to reduce the number I smoked daily.

The thing is though that unlike the past I don't go out in bars anymore to get drunk and have fun, so it's really helping.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I'm sorry but I don't get how you can pass judgement on something you obviously know nothing about? How can you claim that someone who's been giving heavy volumes of nicotine to his organism for 20 years and suddenly cuts supply to it, that he's not gonna suffer the effects of that withdrawal? Of course his body is gonna need nicotine. It's like you're a carnivore and you suddenly go vegetarian. Your organism takes a hit and you must pass a phase of withdrawal, whether or not you'll stick it out and make it depends on the person and willpower, yes. But to say, the body "doesn't need it, it's all in the head" is completely wrong.

Quitting itself, comes down to willpower, that much is true. But to say it's easy and that your whole system won't suffer is completely false. One example is people who quit smoking get a much bigger appetite and gain weight. That's not in the head, it's your organism sensing something's wrong and is making a substitute.

As for restaurants, even as a smoker, I wouldn't mind restaurants being non-smoking. I mean it doesn't bother me personally, but it's a different setting than a club and I can imagine it really bothers people while eating. Clubs and coffee bars however, should be smoking allowed or at least left to the owners to decide. In the latter scenario, I can guarantee, smoking places would always be packed, whereas the non-smoking one would not be much visited.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
I'm sure you'll enjoy the lung cancer you'll have at 40. :tup: :D
you think you're going to live forever?
let's just enjoy the time we have on this planet
if one thinks a smoke gives him some sort of pleasure, then let him
as long as you do that without harming anybody else I really don't see the problem with it
sure smoking kills but so does alcohol and you don't hear anybody complaining about that

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Because you're not suffering from a scientific point of view. Your body adapts rather quickly. It's not like a heroine addiction, where you're in genuine pain for days if you quit. If it was really entirely about your body, you'd quit in no time. It's in your head.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I smoked for exactly 12 years and I was never below a pack a day. I never tried quitting.
Some 2-3 months ago I had so much shit inside me I could almost drawn inside it so I decided to quit. I knew that I won't be able to do it at once since the moment I'd feel better I'll start smoking regularly again, so I decided to do it gradually and smoke less.
From 20 to 15, to 10, to 5 and in the last week I smoke 2-3 a day. Yesterday and today I only smoked 1, and it happened after lunch. It wasn't easy, so whenever I felt that I need a cigarette I just said to myself, hold on for 2 more hours. The knowledge that I was gonna light a cigarette anyway, made it easier for me to reduce the number I smoked daily.

The thing is though that unlike the past I don't go out in bars anymore to get drunk and have fun, so it's really helping.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, that's the smartest and surest way to quit smoking. Gradual decreasing, makes it easier for your whole organism. Still takes a lot of willpower but it helps the process no doubt.

But nothing helps you as much as avoiding bars and booze in general. Those two together are the devil. Whenever I drink a beer...my body is aching for a cigarette.

I also quit when I simply couldn't take it anymore. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and I practically smoked 3 packs a day during that time. One morning I woke up and I simply felt like crap, my throat was all fucked up and it wasn't pretty. That made me quit. It was like poisoning.

Kind of reminds me of a mate, who got busted smoking by his Dad while we were kids. He brought him home, bought like 5 packs of cigarettes, sat him at the table, and forced him to smoke cigarette after cigarette. They went through 2 or 3 packs, my mate practically vomited and never smoked again. :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Because you're not suffering from a scientific point of view. Your body adapts rather quickly. It's not like a heroine addiction, where you're in genuine pain for days if you quit. If it was really entirely about your body, you'd quit in no time. It's in your head.
No, it's not like heroin which is designed to have that specific effect and is kind of a lame comparison to be honest. But you're wrong, you are suffering, not like with heroin, but I know a lot of people, myself included, who all got sick in a matter of days after quitting smoking. I got the flu after 3 days of not smoking and it was mid-August. Your system is suffering, how hard or how that manifests is debatable and depends from person to person.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No, it's not like heroin which is designed to have that specific effect and is kind of a lame comparison to be honest. But you're wrong, you are suffering, not like with heroin, but I know a lot of people, myself included, who all got sick in a matter of days after quitting smoking. I got the flu after 3 days of not smoking and it was mid-August. Your system is suffering, how hard or how that manifests is debatable and depends from person to person.
Well no. That's the thing. They test this stuff. Nicotine has no such effects. There are withdrawal symptoms, but they only last for a couple of days. It's hard because you're used to holding a cigarette and now you don't know what to do what your hands, which makes you kind of nervous. You don't get sick when you quit smoking.

Also, just so you know, the flu is a virus. Catching a virus has nothing to do with smoking.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Well no. That's the thing. They test this stuff. Nicotine has no such effects. There are withdrawal symptoms, but they only last for a couple of days. It's hard because you're used to holding a cigarette and now you don't know what to do what your hands, which makes you kind of nervous. You don't get sick when you quit smoking.

Also, just so you know, the flu is a virus. Catching a virus has nothing to do with smoking.
What I wanted to say. Save the speech :star:

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I did not say I got sick becauseI quit smoking and I know what or how you get the flu. I got sick because my system took a hit and my immune system has severly weakened, making me get a virus much more easily. After 5 years of regular smoking, and 2 weeks of enormous nicotine supply, I cut it off completely. I mean it's common sense, really.

Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms & Recovery

The first few weeks after quitting smoking are usually the most difficult and it's safe to say that it normally takes at least 8-12 weeks before a person starts to feel comfortable with their new lifestyle change of being an ex-smoker. Withdrawal from nicotine, an addictive drug found in tobacco, is characterized by symptoms that include headache, anxiety, nausea and a craving for more tobacco. Nicotine creates a chemical dependency, so that the body develops a need for a certain level of nicotine at all times.

Unless that level is maintained, the body will begin to go through withdrawal. For tobacco users trying to quit, symptoms of withdrawal from nicotine are unpleasant and stressful, but only temporary. Most withdrawal symptoms peak 48 hours after you quit and are completely gone in six months.

When you are experiencing symptoms of recovery (withdrawal), remind yourself of why you are quitting; write your reasons on a card and keep it with you. Remind yourself that whatever discomfort you are experiencing is only a tiny fraction of the probable discomfort associated with continued smoking (i.e. Painful diseases like cancer, surgery, chemotherapy, emphysema etc.).

Withdrawal in the First Two Weeks:

Because the first two weeks are so critical in determining quitting failure rates, smokers should not be shy about seeking all the help they can during this period.

Withdrawal symptoms begin as soon as four hours after the last cigarette, generally peak in intensity at three to five days, and disappear after two weeks. They include both physical and mental symptoms.

During the quitting process people should consider the following physical symptoms of withdrawal as they were recuperating from a disease and treat them accordingly as they would any physical symptoms:

Tingling in the hands and feet
Sweating
Intestinal disorders (cramps, nausea)
Headache
Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, and other signs of colds and respiratory problem)

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/withdrawal1.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)