Question about Thierry Henry. Juve-related. (2 Viewers)

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Ye, would Thierry Henry be the same player if he continued to play for Juventus instead of moving to Arsenal? Due to my opinion, he is the greatest footballer around.

Okay, so the answer may be obvious, seeing that he was not performing well in Juventus, but still, you think there is a chance that he could have developed the same way he did in Arsenal with us?

If so, we really made a mistake. :dazed:

Buy on AliExpress.com

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
you're right, the obvious answer is no, wenger takes enormous credit for converting him from a wide man to a striker but there's loads more to it than that, stuff like the freedom of the english game, u know freedom to express himself, not the same tactical restraints, the fluidity of arsenal's football, the other frenchmen round him but most probably the biggest thing was he found that he enjoyed himself a lot more at the gunners, so we shouldn't all think of what could have been, just wasn't right for juve in my opinion.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Wenger did a superb job with Henry, without him he would end up the same way as Kapo. Also, I think that Henry's style is best suited for the Premier League. I highly doubt that he would score 30 goals in Serie A or Spain. With the French national team Trezeguet always seems really good compared to Henry, while Trez doesn't really have any technique.

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
++ [ originally posted by OwenWilson ] ++

Hmm, greatest footballer around? So is Europe just a mere sideshow when it comes player performances?
On a whole, Henry has had many great performances in Europe. Scored many great goals and embarassed many players with his skill and speed. Arsenal are lacking, but Henry has proven himself. Doing it with the right club at the right level I'm pretty sure he could be rated alot higher. The premiership does suit his game true, but how is that reflective on his talents? Because he couldn't work in Italy (which I believe he now could) dosen't make him less of a great.

He may not have been the same player hadn't he went to Arsenal, but that can't be certain. He had been playing attacking and forward positions with Juve and although not having the finish, definately had the speed and skills he has now with Arsenal. Besides he was young at it takes more time than a season to adjust from French league football to a top team in Europe. He was definately let go to soon.

OwenWilson

Aug 5, 2005
I am not questioning his play with Arsenal, and although the style of Arsenal's play in the Champions League has bearing on how players perform individually, you still must look at the player as a single entity. For France Henry has had two consecutive miserable tournaments, especially the Euro in which he really did not do much. In the Champions League he has had some great performances however he has gone missing when they needed him the most. The best players in this world pick up their team by the collar and guide them to victory, much like Zidane did against England at that same tournament. His performance in the last few minutes of that match was just remarkable and to me he is the undisputed best of the best. The best find a way to get the job done, either with pure skill or hard work, and are able to perform consistently on all fronts. IMO Henry has not performed on all fronts.

That said, he still is a great player, by far the best forward in England. But this praise of Henry being the best in the world kinda gets on my nerves for some reason, as IMO he is a victim to the overators while still posessing massive amounts of skill.

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
I am not questioning his play with Arsenal, and although the style of Arsenal's play in the Champions League has bearing on how players perform individually, you still must look at the player as a single entity. For France Henry has had two consecutive miserable tournaments, especially the Euro in which he really did not do much. In the Champions League he has had some great performances however he has gone missing when they needed him the most. The best players in this world pick up their team by the collar and guide them to victory, much like Zidane did against England at that same tournament. His performance in the last few minutes of that match was just remarkable and to me he is the undisputed best of the best. The best find a way to get the job done, either with pure skill or hard work, and are able to perform consistently on all fronts. IMO Henry has not performed on all fronts.

That said, he still is a great player, by far the best forward in England. But this praise of Henry being the best in the world kinda gets on my nerves for some reason, as IMO he is a victim to the overators while still posessing massive amounts of skill.
For a midfielder certainly, there is only so much a foward can do in that situation. You can't compare a creative midfielder and a striker when it comes to picking up the team by the collar. Look at him seperately sure, but I can look at most top rated players and pick out bad european performance. But I would hardly hold the last against Hendry, the entire French team were to blame. I think looking at him in the Champs League he has been quite alright. When given the chance to perform he usually will and when he can he is one of the greats. I don't hold a teams flaws against a players talents.

OwenWilson

Aug 5, 2005
Sure, he is tremendously talented. However, I cannot mention him in the same breath as the Zidanes, Platinis, and certainly not Roby Baggio. That would be a crime IMO.

The French side in 2004 was not entirely bad, and you cannot say that Henry suffered from lack of service with Zidane having a couple magical matches. True, in Japan France was a complete joke, and every player looked uninspired there, however the Champions League play is still a majore factor in this discussion. I have seen Henry tear open several opponents, however he has gone missing in just as many games. I know it's impossible to win without a team behind you, however Wenger's Arsenal was basically set up around Thierry and they were at one point considered the best team in the world. When you compare Zidane's performances to Henry's, there is no question for me.

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
Sure, he is tremendously talented. However, I cannot mention him in the same breath as the Zidanes, Platinis, and certainly not Roby Baggio. That would be a crime IMO.

The French side in 2004 was not entirely bad, and you cannot say that Henry suffered from lack of service with Zidane having a couple magical matches. True, in Japan France was a complete joke, and every player looked uninspired there, however the Champions League play is still a majore factor in this discussion. I have seen Henry tear open several opponents, however he has gone missing in just as many games. I know it's impossible to win without a team behind you, however Wenger's Arsenal was basically set up around Thierry and they were at one point considered the best team in the world. When you compare Zidane's performances to Henry's, there is no question for me.
But you can't compare them. How can you compare a creative midfielder to a striker? Forget Zidane, as far as strikers go Hendry is the among the best and can be among the greats with some more honours. Every player on the above list has gone missing in many games, noone turns out game after game. Though i never compared him to the above, he can and probably will be a great of tomorrows generation.

OwenWilson

Aug 5, 2005
In a way you can, just by looking at how influential a player has been over time. If you are talking about the best forwards in the world, Henry and Shevchenko are right up there and are probably uncontested with Ronaldo falling off. Just to put this in perspective...do I think Henry was a better player than Ronaldo? IMO, no. Not in terms of influence at least, but that's just me.

And of course nobody can show up for every game, however when it matters the best usually pull it off. My opinion at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)